1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should i sell my website or spend time to develop it ?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by binoyin, Aug 30, 2011.

Hi Everyone. I started to develop a website where markerters, website owners, service providers and everyone else in general who wants to sell their product or services can list on the website. I have spend a lot of time and money on the project, then i started my job and its been sitting there as it is. The website is ready for use but i dont have the time to market it. Its a very viable project or so i think.. Just wanted opinion of people on DP who are experienced in all this whether i should spend time on this or sell it so someone can make good out of it.

Features : takes paypal payments directly, can support digital downloads, inter messaging between buyer, seller, product reviews, price code system(different prices for different sellers[preffered, regular]), discussion and support directly on listing [disqus integrated] and few more..

binoyin, Aug 30, 2011 IP
  2. pbmann1213

pbmann1213 Peon

Best Answers:
    A site like yours will take a while to build a solid userbase. You won't see any big profits initially, but if you keep at it you could get some big returns.

That being said, there might not even be any interest in your site if you tried to sell it right now. You should work on it and get some serious traffic to it before you try to sell it, because I doubt there's many people who want to invest in your site's kind of market.

pbmann1213, Aug 30, 2011 IP
  3. csreference

csreference Member

Best Answers:
    Try to get some traffic by doing search engine optimization. Or you can invest some in advertising to get search targeted traffic. That will increase your conversion rate.

csreference, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  4. karan_1128

karan_1128 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The main thing you're loosing focus is that you're not getting interaction on your website and that's creating a problem. Go for SEO , get some traffic , invest some money...try each and everything to promote it . Just remember if it runs it can give you loads of money. Don't Miss the Opportunity.

karan_1128, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  5. Ferrari310

Ferrari310 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Selling it is a smart choice... The method is way too saturated. Unless you are motivated to complete the job then you can go for it, but I can assure you that you wont be getting any business for a year. (Unless you invest $20,000 in Google adwords, then there might be a chance to get business in 3 months... (But that would be a gamble) Think smart, work smart.

Ferrari310, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  6. binoyin

binoyin Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the output guys...One other thing i thought of was i could get some one more experienced in web development and SEO, have them work on the site for a month or so and than sell it and split the money. Anyone tried something like that before ?

binoyin, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  7. scottish

scottish Peon

Best Answers:
    forget it, it's been done 100s of times before. unless you already have 10,000 visitors a day no one would buy it.

scottish, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  8. slimrider94

slimrider94 Member

Best Answers:
    Only way for this to be successful is if people have motivation to post their wanted job or for hire applications there, like having their auctions getting a lot of exposure and as minimal commission as possible. Like others above me have said, this market is pretty saturated and thus only those with the big budgets to continually pump money into their site to make it unique and rank well in the search engines can stay in the game. If I were you I'd somehow change the focus of your site and do an idea that hasn't been done.

slimrider94, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  9. d55

d55 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe work on it more people will be more inclined to buy a developed website.

d55, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  10. jhardy2008

jhardy2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you can work on your website with right strategy. Its helpful for sucess of your website.

jhardy2008, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  11. finsofts

finsofts Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should have some patience and keep develop your website , you know the more time you spend in development and promotion of the website you will get that much return online, only think you must keep in mind work for the result dot sell the website now, its not worth.

finsofts, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  12. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Partner up with other people.

Let other people do the work, then you earn the money.

mentos, Sep 1, 2011 IP
  13. binoyin

binoyin Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Mentos, Thanks for the advice. Can you guide me as to what might me a good way to partner with some good people.

Appreciate every ones help over here..

binoyin, Sep 1, 2011 IP
  14. RovingCalypso

RovingCalypso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see the viability. I mean people have big forums like this and other places to do exactly what you plan on offering. For services provision they already have services like odesk.

If you really have an excellent plan that can withstand fierce competition go right ahead, but since you mentioned that you already have a job, which seems pretty hectic since you mentioned that the site has been sitting, so get rid of it for cash.

Although its still not bad, had your domain been sellr.com it could've been a great web 2-social network-sorta domain.

RovingCalypso, Sep 1, 2011 IP
  15. 88dbsakthi

88dbsakthi Peon

Best Answers:
    Building the user base is nightmare for every startup business.To build the userbase you have to learn and experiment the things with your website like

Focussed/niche traffic
    optimized landing page
    compelling product/service
    Best after sales support

88dbsakthi, Sep 1, 2011 IP
  16. eniggma

eniggma Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you've come this far why stop now. Progress may be slower cuz you are busy but dont give up man great things come with hard work it was never going to be a quick route to success anyways.

eniggma, Sep 2, 2011 IP