1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Navigation behind <object>?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Aug 30, 2011.

How Do I Get my Navigation in Front of My Youtube Video?

So I have lovingly crafted a pure CSS navigation. It was behind the adsense ad, so straight away I put me a nice z-index 1,000 and BAM kicked it up a notch. To really snazz things up, I put a video on my attorney page. Get them in the mood for click on things. But then I realize, my lovely beautifully crafted pure CSS drop down navigation menu falls behind it. Straight away I put z-index to 1 for the video <object>. And still nothing.

This can't be.

Save me from a fate worse than death. Fix my pure CSS drop down navigation menu. :mad::(:mad:

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Aug 30, 2011 IP
  2. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Me gusta your navigation design but short of looking at the page with the problem i can't pull the best solution out of the top of my head . All i can think of is that the problem shouldn't exit . I've taken a brief look at your website and you seem to be in need of a redesign , i must say that i gave up looking for the problem simply because the CSS was waaay to scattered . Do you mind placing it into one file and doing some code rearranging before i can take another look ?

ApocalypseXL, Aug 30, 2011 IP
  3. Las Vegas DUI Lawyer

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer Peon

Best Answers:
  4. ethikz

ethikz Peon

Best Answers:
    I just briefly looked at it and it seems your video has a z-index of 1 but topnav has no z-index. Try adding a position and z-index on your topnav greater than your video and see if that helps. If that doesn't try putting the video inside of a new div with the same properties as I stated above.

ethikz, Aug 30, 2011 IP
  5. Las Vegas DUI Lawyer

Best Answers:
    uh no, you saw wrong, topnav has a z-index of 1000 as mentioned in the op.

6. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Looks fine in Opera and Failfox but the problem is there in Google's Rust and IE8 so it's a browser related problem . I'll look into in later , also you should have keep your old awesome nav .

ApocalypseXL, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  7. Las Vegas DUI Lawyer

Best Answers:
    the old nav is flash based. I wanted a pure css drop down menu, for the extra SEO boost. but if you mean the graphic of the menu, i'll think about it.

That being said, of course my friends said, DON'T make your page too pretty because you want ... and this was seconded on smash or wired, the uglier your page looks, the more money you make from adsense. the longer they linger, the less money you make.

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  8. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    When did Smash said that ugly pages make more money ? No offense but ugly pages don't make any sense . I mean why do you think marketing departments invest billions in design ?

ApocalypseXL, Sep 3, 2011 IP
  9. Las Vegas DUI Lawyer

Best Answers:
    The notion is that ... i don't know how adept you are at internet marketing and what is looked at as being positive ...

- bounce rate: the speed at which people leave your page.
    if people leave your page relatively quickly, either one of two things are true: you didn't provide any information they were looking for; your page is uninteresting and hence they go to find something else
    - if the bounce rate is high: placing advertisement that is on point with what the page relates to, lends itself to a higher click through rate.

So that's the scheme in a nutshell. Make people nearly disgusted with your page, so that they see an advertisement that is on point and hence click through it more.

However, if your page is nice / interesting / beautiful / elegant, people will tend to sit on your page AND ignore any advertisements you have on the page.

The balance is to make the page: on point with the subject matter, but make it less interesting than a potential advertisement.

So, the ugly page nearly always wins: garish colors; bad font; near unreadability; garbled grammar; no pictures to interest the eye; nothing catchy. With all of those bad things, the advertisement will seem like a welcome relief. That is hoping the advertisement is like the calm of a storm and has something catchy to look at and is exactly on point.

As to marketing departments investing billions: they are trying to catch your attention in a sea of other input. They ARE the advertising, that I am hoping will have some amazing ad on my websites.

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Sep 4, 2011 IP
  10. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    Or option b , the user is disgusted by your site and simply closes the page but i can now see your point . Interesting but hazardous view IMHO

ApocalypseXL, Sep 4, 2011 IP
  11. Las Vegas DUI Lawyer

Best Answers:
    FIXED:

I figured it out. for anyone wishing to make sure a youtube video stays on a relatively low z-index, under other objects that are supposed appear on screen use this:

?wmode=transparent

put this at the end of the youtube code for the video itself, inside the quotes. For example http://www.lasvegasnevadadui.com/nevada_dui/attorneys.html

It is now fixed and flows underneath the navigation menu. I won't say how I found out. :p

Las Vegas DUI Lawyer, Sep 9, 2011 IP
  12. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That says something about the intelligence of the average visitor. Which, in turn, says something about the intelligence of the species as a whole. I don't think it's going up.

Rukbat, Sep 9, 2011 IP