1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I buy a site-wide text link from a PageRank of 8/10

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Dave E, Oct 13, 2006.

I have recently been offered a site-wide text link from a website with a PageRank of 8/10 at a very resonable price, I have been reading up about it and there seems to be mixed views about site-wide text links. My experience of them is that they work a charm. Here's an example about 18 months ago I used to work at this company called Iomart and I sold mini optimised websites with a generic domain name and sometimes they worked alright on MSN and Yahoo but never on Google and they never got a pagerank of above 2/10, I clocked on that the sites needed links to work and I said to one of my customers to place a link to your mini site from your main site, his main site had a pagerank of 5/10 on many of the pages, he placed a site-wide link to the mini-site from his main site and withinn a month or two the mini-site had a google pagerank of 5/10, the mini-site did incredible in MSN and Yahoo and pretty good in Google, far better then any of the other mini sites I had sold. I have read about a few people saying that site-wide links will actually harm your rankings, is this correct? I have quite a few site-wide links already and my rankings are staedily increasing on all search engines, should I by this PageRank 8/10 site wide text link?

Dave E, Oct 13, 2006 IP
  2. terryuk

terryuk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A pr8 isnt going to hurt your rankings, especially if its related.

terryuk, Oct 13, 2006 IP
  3. Kaudo

Kaudo Peon

Best Answers:
    Check the respective page´s PR, your link is going to be placed to. Not the site´s PR.

I know I am going to bore you soon repeating this so often, but it is not the same.

The site has PR8, but the page your link is going to be placed on is just PR3. You will only get a portion of that page´s PR, based on the number of sites (peges) it links to...

So, forget about PR8, you more probably get PR2...

Kaudo, Oct 13, 2006 IP
  4. andre75

andre75 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow. I can see you know what site-wide means :confused:

andre75, Oct 13, 2006 IP
  5. mako

mako Guest

Best Answers:
    ok, andre, you won.

mako, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  6. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Site-wide hurting is just a rumor, some folks believe it but most don't. Getting a good price on a PR8 link is great. That link alone could get you a PR6 or 7 on your site. Best if it is related.

good luck

jg123, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  7. kausik

kausik Active Member

Best Answers:
    Check that site's PR with authority Pr checking tool. There are many cases have been logged with highjacked PR. So be aware. It can be real site but for your safety it should check it with PR checking tool.

kausik, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  8. adwordaffiliate

adwordaffiliate Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've always found a site wide link will rock. Mainly because you're getting lots of Anchor text love from every page on the site :cool:

adwordaffiliate, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  9. Subzero

Subzero Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have to determine how many page is indexed by this pr8 site.
    IMHO Google will definatley penalize you if your site is only a few 100 pages and you get an link on a pr8 site with 100 000's of pages.

Subzero, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  10. dynamicseo

dynamicseo Banned

Best Answers:
    I think if site is related then there will be no problem regarding this!

dynamicseo, Oct 31, 2006 IP
    seojig likes this.
  11. Subzero

Best Answers:
    There will be a problem. Doesn't look very natural to G if you get tons of links in a few days... I have had this problem recently :p

Subzero, Oct 31, 2006 IP
    seojig likes this.
  12. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Let's test that theory by everyone linking to one of my websites!

Phynder, Oct 31, 2006 IP
    seojig likes this.
  13. Subzero

Best Answers:
    Just want to make sure you are with us, we are talking about site-wide links.
    Read the nr1 tip of Cristian Mezei's 101 Web Marketing Ideas and Tips.

As I said in a previous post we have to see how much pages are indexed of the site providing the site-wide link.

Subzero, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  14. Herendethelesson

Herendethelesson Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think it will hurt your rankings. It will definitly help your PR though. I am yet to see the evidence for the theory that the sitewide links will get you penalised. (It could be discounted, but unless you overdo it with a zillion pages, it shouldnt hurt - hasnt hurt me anyway - yet :)

Herendethelesson, Oct 31, 2006 IP
    seojig likes this.
  15. Canton

Canton Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm...I'm pretty "white hat" about SEO when it comes to important sites that I plan on having around for a long time. If I were working with such a site, I may seek to get the home page link from a PR8 site, but the link across an entire site, especially if there are many pages, may look suspicious. May not hurt now, but perhaps in 3 months, 6 months, next year? Tough to say though...

Canton, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  16. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I understand. Who knows what Google really does, but it would be silly for Google to leave it up to your competitors to destroy your rankings. At the worst, I image a sitewide link is devalued or just totally ignored. If I am wrong, I would go as far to say that Google is wrong.

Phynder, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  17. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think sitewide links are cool...Just don't get a sitewide link from a site with 100,000 of pages and you have a small site...

oseymour, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  18. Scot King

Scot King Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried buying a number of PR6 and PR7 links from text link brokers and pointed them to one of my sites. It had absolutely no effect at all. I got my money back. That was a great experiment which I won't be repeating. It's really about getting lots of quality relevant links to your site. But please let me know if it works for you Dave.

Scot King, Oct 31, 2006 IP
  19. Dassie

Dassie Peon

Best Answers:
    Sitewide,obviously means getting alot of links from one website at a very rapid pace,as they are putting it up,and therefore IMHO I think you will probably get some PR from the pages of the site your link is on,but your rankings can at the same time be penalized for getting to many links to fast.So that's what I think.

Dassie, Nov 1, 2006 IP
  20. onedollar

onedollar SEO Consultant for Hire

Best Answers:
    here an important point is that "getting a site-wide link with 1000's of pages" != increasing your inbounds very fast.

whenever increasing your IBL's very fast hurts with google is said with respect to google, it means that when you try to point too many sitewide IBL's from different sites. sitewide links from thousands of pages from a "single" site would not hurt with google - they give you an advantage or not, that may vary though :)

onedollar, Nov 1, 2006 IP