1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Mother of all Lists of Directory lists.

Discussion in 'Solicitations & Announcements' started by bobmutch, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    minstral: "Since it's been posted on several other forums by several other people." IF that list have been posted on several other forums by several other people they have copied it from me. That list is orginal. I wrote all the short descriptions myself. I compiled that list over a 5 month period getting a link here and a link there. If I remember correctly in two differnet cases I took perhaps 5 to 10 links from 2 other very good lists.
    "I don't know, bobmutch... that pretty much describes what you did and do. You know what I think. You probably have seen some one post my complete list and you think that I got it from them. So I can see you perhaps thinking that. But guess what. If you have seen that list some where else that is anywhere in the same order or the same descriptions or the same number of sites, its MY list : )

GTech: I agree. And it was only a few weeks ago he was picking my PR list apart and accusing me of grandstanding because I took 4 PR update dates averaged the days out between then and posted it as a prediction : )

dcristo: Thank you for your kind words Sir. I am trying to be an asset here. They won't let me do much self promotion over at Search Engine Watch so I came back home : )

Any more of you peoples want to stick up for poor old bobmutch being torn apart by this fine tuned psychologist.

bobmutch, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You should actually thank me, bobmutch. Before my comment in post #2, your list was sitting here being ignored -- that's probably why you took it into a second thread. And now look... you've got three pages of raw excitement... :rolleyes:

But, from your own words, you're still missing the point about originality vs. plagiarism...

minstrel, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  3. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    minstrel: The thread has been ruined by this conversation. If you want to know the truth it is a disgrace. Seeing your are a psychologist I hoped I could talk some sense into you.
    The only plagiarism that is here is what is in your mind. And from my own words I understand what plagiarism is very well. You think a list of URLs is plagiarism, which is sillyness.
    And by the way take some time and produce those links you think you saw : )
    I say you will do that same thing you did with that last time I ask you - nothing :)

bobmutch, Apr 30, 2005 IP
    dfsweb likes this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You're welcome, Bob! :D

minstrel, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  5. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is not a thread hijack!

Just thought people who are reading this thread might be looking at submitting to some (or most) of these directories. I have just discovered http://www.roboform.com. I always knew this existed but never downloaded it. It's free and it's great!! I had been relying all this while on Google toolbar to fill in my name and email address and then I used to copy/paste title tags, URLs and descriptions. But, using Roboform is so damn easy!!

You can create multiple profiles for all your sites. And, the free version has three custom fields which I am using for url, title and description. Then, just go to the appropriate sub-category in a directory, click on submit site and choose "fill" from the appropriate profile. Easy as!! I know exactly what I will be doing this weekend. Did I mention it's free!! This is the best invention since bikinis!! Do check it out before you submit to the list.

By the way, I think it's a nice little list Bob (original or not), especially the first link (http://www.5thage.com/List-of-Directories.html) which is a list of directories in itself.

P.S: Min and Bob, you can continue your domestics now! :D

dfsweb, May 6, 2005 IP
    MattUK and Shoemoney like this.
  6. Andi

Andi Peon

Best Answers:
    These are all lists of lists which are all culled from other lists, that is the nature of such lists, they all derive from similar sources. The Internet, while very large, is finite and all comprehensive lists will be similar. Each and every list presented here is a self-promotion effort on the part of its editor, no less than Bob..

I have seen other versions of this but never this exact list. If the presenter of such a list does any editing at all it becomes necessarily a "new list."

I can say these things with some authority being the editor of one of the above listed lists--I follow the various permutations of this list in my referrals. My list hasn't been edited in some months except to remove dead links periodically. When I do update it these lists will be a prime source for me, as my list has been for many of them in the past...

Thanks for your version, Bob.

Andi

edit: come to think of it, it is a referral from this thread that brought me to this forum... :)

Andi, May 6, 2005 IP
    Shoemoney likes this.
  7. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    I'm afraid I have to join in, I seem to be posting a lot of negative stuff lately which is not like me at all, It's mostly google related and I am trying to sort out the problems I come across dealing with Google. Anything to do with Google leaves me feeling extremely frustrated, however I was worried that I am coming across as a very negative person. Not any more though, I found someone worse :D

That said I do frequent a few other forums where I come across posts by Minstrel and I find his posts everywhere follow the same pattern, very critical bordering on arrogant and generally putting people down, I find this rather astonishing coming from a person who promotes psychology, mental health and self help resources.
    This type of person is supposed to help us when we are feeling a bit jaded, down or depressed.....not put us down at every opportunity.

Minstrel lighten up a bit, get out there and smell the roses ..... if your attitude doesn't change you will soon find you will be the one lying on the couch.

Bob, I'm a bit miffed that you haven't used the free directory list from my Forum which I spent months compiling.......however I think it is covered pretty well, I have seen copies of it on quite a few sites including Digital Point.

Cyclops, May 6, 2005 IP
    Shoemoney likes this.
  8. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    dfsweb: Thanks for your kind words.
    Andi: I agree, after all what is the internet even all media printed or other wise that promotion of your company, services or views.
    Cyclops: I would agree to some degree with your analysis. Sorry I don't have you list in my list of lists. Post up the URL and if it is average or above I will add it up.

bobmutch, May 7, 2005 IP
  9. Web Gazelle

Web Gazelle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is definatetly the mother of all lists. Thanks for posting it. Now I think I will drop by Tim Hortons to get me a dozen donuts. Then submit my site while enjoying the many savoury flavours that Tim Hortons has.

Web Gazelle, May 10, 2005 IP
    Shoemoney likes this.
  10. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure I agree with you on this one Minstrel. It is a decent listing of directories and resources that list directories. If someone is a relative newbie or is actively seeking out directory listings, then such a post could prove an invaluable resource. I could see your point about plagarism if the post's primary content were paragraphs of text from several sources with no credit given but a short list of hyperlinks doesn't usually warrant crediting unless it is cut from say, dmoz, and pasted directly. This does not appear to be the case.

Bob - I don't know if it's a deliberate typo in your listing but you've mis-spelled Anthony's surname.

mcfox, May 10, 2005 IP
  11. Janeth

Janeth Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice list Bob, it's a shame some people want to be so rude on these types of forums. :D

Janeth, May 10, 2005 IP
    Shoemoney likes this.
  12. bobmutch

bobmutch Peon

Best Answers:
    mcfox: I am a bit dyslexic so it is common for me to misspell works and not even notice it. It does how ever prove that I wrote the discription out on that like : )
    I will correct it though -thanks.

Web Glazelle:Thanks for your kind words.

Janeth:Thanks!

bobmutch, May 10, 2005 IP
  13. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    True! But don't worry you will get used to it! :D

Nice site by the way (geekonsteroids). I was actually surprised to see a PR6. Most newbies (on the forums) usually have crappy looking PR0 sites. Not bad! :)

dfsweb, May 11, 2005 IP
  14. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    uhhh....Janeth is not exactly a newbie on the forums... a former Moderator at WebPro, and currently a moderator of at least two other forums that I know of, has probably designed and published something close to 1,000 web sites etc etc.

If you like her PR you should look at her rankings sometime.

Bob and I have disagreements on technical matters quite often, but the idea that the Directory list he compiled is plagarism is really quite funny.

Plagarism is, as has been pointed out, simply put the copying of someone else's writings and claiming them as your own. It seems to me fairly simple to deduce that the URLs cannot be considered as plagarism, and since the descriptions do not seem to come from someone else they do not qualify either. But what the heck if it gives Minstrel a reason for his daily dose of vitupertion, so be it.

It is a useful list, as are most of the directory lists that people compile from time to time, but there is often a few jewels hidden in the rough here and there, making them all useful in some degree.

Mel, May 11, 2005 IP
    Shoemoney and minstrel like this.
  15. eleven80

eleven80 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh dear dfsweb,

If you haven't heard of Janeth or geeksonsteroids.com then I seriously doubt your self-promoted 'veteranity' in the SEO field.

As for Minstrel... wow, I swear every time I get sent to a thread, which you have graciously added your views I am genuinely horrified by the way you speak to other people, which at times I can't even accept as normal human behaviour. You are rude, unprofessional, and really somebody that nobody else wants to hear from.. ever!

p.s. i guess i made up the word veteranity

eleven80, May 11, 2005 IP
  16. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Are you affiliated with geekonsteroids?

yfs1, May 11, 2005 IP
  17. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    GeeksOnSteroids is very well known, as is Janeth...
    No affiliation should be required to be familiar with either of those names.

SEbasic, May 11, 2005 IP
  18. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I just didn't understand what this meant

yfs1, May 11, 2005 IP
  19. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Check your PM...

SEbasic, May 11, 2005 IP
  20. ROAR