1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Security and Joomla- Anyone have any tips?

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by VictoriasEmpire, Aug 12, 2011.

Hi thereSeeking some opinion / information if anyone is keen:I am not a technical person, and have recently had a Joomla website set up for my husband's company. I have now heard that security could be an issue and that, because it is open source software, it is easy to hack..is this the case? Does anyone have any advice / know of the best way to try and get around this?ThanksV

VictoriasEmpire, Aug 12, 2011 IP
  2. TetraHydro

TetraHydro Peon

Best Answers:
    Just make sure you upgrade to the latest version and you'll be safe. Also keep an eye on your passwords and the security of the website administrators' computer.

TetraHydro, Aug 12, 2011 IP
  3. raamee

raamee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    "It is easily hackable since it is open source"

--------------------------------

I don't agree with this. Since it is open source, its code can be verified by all the pro in the world. And also "core joomla" is very very difficult to hack, thats almost impossible. The hacking takes place due to the extensions you use with the site. Just be updated with newer version of joomla always and keep watching the Joomla vulnerable extension list.

raamee, Aug 13, 2011 IP
  4. VictoriasEmpire

VictoriasEmpire Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

VictoriasEmpire, Aug 16, 2011 IP
  5. Chris-M

Chris-M Peon

Best Answers:
    In general my opinion is that open source software is arguably more secure than commercial software since they usually have more people maintaining open source software. Some of the biggest and best software in the world is open source - Apache web server, MySQL, PHP to name just a few. All of these are used to run Joomla as well as most other websites in the world. :)

The best advise to keep your Joomla install secure is to ensure you keep it updated with the latest stable version, and keep your passwords secure. We suggest changing your password on a regular basis, such as every 30 days for example.

Chris-M, Aug 16, 2011 IP
  6. jw-extensions.net

jw-extensions.net Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree that joomla core is safe. But we often use others extensions, they are our true risk. Try to read comment of these extensions before using it.

jw-extensions.net, Aug 16, 2011 IP
  7. marcinso

marcinso Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the best for you would be to instal 2 good extension.

first very important:

Adminexile
    http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/access-a-security/site-security/login-protection/15711?qh=YToxOntpOjA7czoxMDoiYWRtaW5leGlsZSI7fQ%3D%3D

AdminExile allows you to add an access key to the end of the URL which will redirect wrong entries to the homepage without ever seeing the administrator login panel.

So nobody would just tipe and get to your login panel:
    www.yoursite.com/administrator

You will be able to change it to:
    www.yoursite.com/administrator/?password

I think it is one of the biggest problem that everybody can get to your login pannel, so change it :)

The second one is:

Admintools
    http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/access-a-security/site-security/site-protection/14087

It is a very good tools that allow you to update your jomla version fast, change the prefix, change the id of your administrator etc. A must have on your joomla site.

With that your joomla site will be harder to hack. If you want you can change the meta name="generator", so people would not know that your cms is joomla

marcinso, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  8. Rankx

Rankx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Admintools is also a very good extension to use for security.

Rankx, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  9. marcinso

marcinso Peon

Best Answers:
    I mensioned this extension in the post before.

marcinso, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  10. mostafa.kamal.dhaka

mostafa.kamal.dhaka Member

Best Answers:
    since you wrote you are new in joomla

here i put a website address whee you may get all solutions about joomla , joomlaoscommerce dot kom/joomla-1-6-tutorial/securing-joomla-site.html

thanks after that if you have any query, you may PM me or facebook me on facebook dot com/ shobarbazr

thanks

mostafa.kamal.dhaka, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  11. schlogo

schlogo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are many things you can do to improve Joomla security . Basics are the following- Backup your site and database ! No site is 100% safe, whatever you ll set up to protect it - Always keep Joomla and components up to date- Hide the admin url using jsecure or any other mentioned plugin- move your configuration.php out of the public side of you hosting- Always use the last version of htaccess that comes with update- Read security advices on Joomla official website Lot of fun !

schlogo, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  12. unknownpray

unknownpray Active Member

Best Answers:
    Does Joomla have better security options as compared to Wordpress or is it the other way round?

unknownpray, Aug 24, 2011 IP
  13. schlogo

Best Answers:
    they pretty have the same level of security as long as you keep them up to date. Good but to be improved like in any system. It is not perfect out of the box. The problem often comes from the components you ll use and from the directories and files rights on the server. Nothing is 100% secured !

schlogo, Aug 26, 2011 IP
  14. logoal

logoal Peon

Best Answers:
    there are extensions that will help you to protect the site.

logoal, Aug 30, 2011 IP
  15. amritdhakalad

amritdhakalad Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is safe compared to any other CMS... But there are a lot of measures that you can follow in order to make it more secured. Upgrade to latest version as soon as they are available, change the default database prefix and Administrator ID etc. to make it more secured.

amritdhakalad, Sep 11, 2011 IP
  16. antineo

antineo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Joomla is safe if you keep up to date. There are some tools like rsjoomla which help you safe. Change config directory, admin name too.

antineo, Oct 25, 2011 IP
  17. schlogo

Best Answers:
    Joomla is safe if you keep it up to date ... Well il love joomla and i use it 90% of the time, but I would not proclaim this. Imo, no software is 100% safe

schlogo, Oct 25, 2011 IP
  18. qclinks

qclinks Peon

Best Answers:
    Two MUST do things:
    1. Rename database tables from default jos_ to anything unique
    2. Enable .htaccess whether you use SEF URL or not.

qclinks, Oct 28, 2011 IP
  19. seanachie

seanachie Peon

Best Answers:
    why has no one mentioned the advice and utilities at
    the joomla security forum
    Security Checklist 7 at the docs joomla
    mostafa kamal dhaja - i dont see the point in your post when 1.6 is no longer supported and your only posting for backlinks is your site even registered with osm?

and schlogo - said it well, lets al stop using microsoft or mac because they arent safe and can be hacked

seanachie, Nov 11, 2011 IP
  20. ytfoam

ytfoam Peon

Best Answers:
    The best advise to keep your Joomla install secure is to ensure you keep it updated with the latest stable version, and keep your passwords secure. We suggest changing your password on a regular basis, such as every 30 days for example.

ytfoam, Nov 24, 2011 IP