1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What future for directories ? Can directories survive Panda ?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by schlogo, Aug 21, 2011.

HelloJust wanted to know if you still believe in directories.Search engines do no seem to like directories a lot and lot of them have drown in serp since Panda.1 - Do you still believe in directories ?2 - Has your directory been splapped by Panda ?3 - What should a directory look like to be successfull nowday Let's see if we can wrap up some ideas to improve our directories ! I ll sum it up somewhere tks !

schlogo, Aug 21, 2011 IP
  2. arshid

arshid Peon

Best Answers:
    Wel i can say directories will be always there b/c when big search engines are there SEO is there and when SEO is there Directories will always live.
    as for as panda is concerned being dir owner i would say that let it be more tough because people really spend a huge amount of $$$$ on SEO so it is good that they get good results from dir submissions.

arshid, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  3. schlogo

schlogo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hello frosensharkyour directories draws as many visitors ad before Panda?

schlogo, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Panda was about weak content. If a directory had weak content, it suffered after Panda. If a directory had good categorization and unique descriptions, it did fine or even saw more traffic. Same impact it had on every site. But, as a French SEO expert, you should already know that.

YMC, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  5. schlogo

Best Answers:
    i know directories should have more editorial content, include social networks, have no duplicate content, insert local content. This said, directories with lot of unique content, like webrankinfo and others who are really selective had a 55% loss after panda. My point here was to open a discussion on experiences, not to start shooting at each others ...

schlogo, Aug 22, 2011 IP
    CReed likes this.
  6. arshid

arshid Peon

Best Answers:
    schlogo yes the traffic is affected a bit but google still cares for my indexing ,keywords and pr that is awl wt a dir owner want :)

arshid, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  7. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your initial post seemed like so many others by SEO gurus in disguise that are a blatant attempt to either garner information for an unflattering article or promote their services. I hope you can understand my initial reaction to your post.

Panda was quite good to all of my sites - directory and otherwise. They all either increased in traffic or remained pretty much where they were.

My directories are both niche and relatively small. Even within the niches, I don't accept a lot of stuff. If the submitted site is full of article directory content or other similarly useless junk, I don't accept it, even if on topic. For the past 13 months, I've been doing a lot more auditing of the listings. Change of focus, domained site or abandoned shops are removed. I'm constantly adding subcategories as a category gets too large or starts getting too many different aspects of a similar topic.

I know you didn't ask for a review, but since you brought it up as an example...I took a random description from the artists category of the directory you mentioned and put it into Google.com. Using the original French and the Google English translation, it found no matches. It also includes painters, musicians, writers, graphic artists and a web radio station - with the exception of the radio station, they are all artists but certainly something you should consider separating. You might also want to try to figure out why the pages are not being indexed well. The first thing that jumps out at me is that there are no meta tags being used. While it's good that it has category descriptions, they appear to all be the same.

YMC, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  8. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    ( Can directories survive Panda ? )
    Yes they will . why !
    Search engines and directories are twin
    Good directory includes quality useful information will never be effect .

nonar, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  9. schlogo

Best Answers:
    It's ok, tks for your long answer, it brings some answer. I can see that some of us still believe in directories :D

schlogo, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  10. schlogo

Best Answers:
    I think that general directories might be in troubles. Niche directories might keep doing well is like YMC does, we care about the quality of entries. Uniqueness and quality of content might be something to look at has well. I guess the directory might have to offer services to the visitor (contact form etc, search box etc... )

schlogo, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  11. spujap

spujap Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are lot of directories which emphasize more on "backlinks" ,"page rank" rather than proper categorization, useful content. I think they suffered the most of PANDA

spujap, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  12. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think what will kill a lot of directories is the death of PR. Many people just don't care about traffic, quality, age, etc just that little green bar.

averyz, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  13. schlogo

Best Answers:
    Death of PR is not for tomorrow

schlogo, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  14. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    never know one day google could just take it away over night. it is noting to most people and wouldn't even be missed by 99.9% of the population.

averyz, Aug 22, 2011 IP
  15. schlogo

Best Answers:
    They might be using is themselves :D It would be tricky to remove it , at least for now

schlogo, Aug 23, 2011 IP
  16. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    About as tricky as removing the +1, the yellow star, Alexa A, S similar sites, really PR is nothing, just a little tab and you have to download a app to see it except for a few SEO guys and people buying and selling links no one cares. PR has also created an industry full of scammers, dropped domains, redirects, and other nickel dime tricks, it would not hurt google a bit it would actually be like getting rid of some annoying bugs.

I bring up PR because a large amount of directories are completely worthless but they stay alive because of that little green tab. Other then the little green tab They have nothing. No traffic, no content, nothing.. just a link farm.
    So will Panda affect these directories? They don't get traffic to begin with, they will still have to drop links in DP and other little schemes they use to get traffic. So I doubt Panda has any affect on them they have no content and Panda is about content.

Niche directories on the other hand will get more traffic if they have decent content. Pandas about getting poor content out of the ay so real content can rank and it seems to be working some so far.

averyz, Aug 23, 2011 IP
  17. schlogo

Best Answers:
    Your opinion on directories is right, lot of them are just link farms and have no interest for users...

schlogo, Aug 23, 2011 IP
  18. Tedel

Tedel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you can still use directoies, but just limit to few and important ones.

Tedel, Aug 23, 2011 IP
  19. schlogo

Best Answers:
    I desagree, big directories will be direct competitors of Google and yellow pages.... they are hard to maintain, don t you think niche directories only have a chance?

schlogo, Aug 24, 2011 IP
  20. Johnletton

Johnletton Member

Best Answers:
    I believe its not about directories basically it is about content that how weaker content you are putting in directories so still if you put unique, compelling and informative content then definitely it is gonna boost your website ranking.

Johnletton, Aug 25, 2011 IP