1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

On the First Page of Google But No Visitors

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Kanonig, Aug 18, 2011.

I have heard/seen a lot of people complaining bitterly after going through the pains to rank their site high on the SERP for keyword that ordinarily should generate thousands of queries but are receiving close to nothing.

Major Possible Cause

One of the major possible causes is the presence of tons of sponsored ads Google display on the right hand side as well as the top page of search results.
    There are cases where the top sponsored ads could have up to 3 ads at the top and 8 at the right hand side. These sponsored ads are there because other people are advertising and paying money to showcase their business on the same spot as you. The listings on the left hand side are the actual site you are competing against and they got through offsite SEO (link building) and they didn’t pay a dime to Google to be listed there.

If you eventually rank your site high for an advertised based competitive keywords, you are bound to lose a lot of traffic and it might be a waste of your time except, of course, the keyword pulls in thousands of thousands of searches each and every month.

My Little Research

I carried out a little research for two keywords that generates about 9, 500 exact searches monthly on a global scale, one on money making niche and the other on health niche. The business keyword has 8 sponsored ads both at the top and right hand page of Google for my business term while the health niche has only one.

The business keyword was on position 2 and the health on position 5 but I was receiving x3 more visitors from health niche on position 5 keywords with minimal sponsored ads than the business keyword on position 2 with 8 sponsored ads.

It is imperative to these days to consider this unprofitable trend to avoid wasting valuable time and resources gunning for just empty air.
    So, when you hear the gurus say, if you find a keyword that generates a minimum of 2, 500 global searches monthly, you have a goldmine, sorry, that doesn’t include keywords with several sponsored ads like the one I mentioned above.

Verifying this is very simple, simply Google your chosen keyword and check how many ads you have on the top and right hand page of your search result. If they exceed 3, aim for much higher keywords searches otherwise you will be disappointed.

Note

The best spot that literally receives a considerable amount of keyword searches still remain position 1 to 3, this also depends on a number of factors like the niche, amount a keyword generate on a monthly basis.
    I hope this saves you from pitfalls that can make you blacklist the internet as a viable source of income.

Kanonig, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  2. ptnor

ptnor Peon

Best Answers:
    cool research.
    But depending on the keyword, global matches might be wrong one to look at. especially on countries that English is not the main language, their results will probably show sites in native language.

ptnor, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  3. Kanonig

Kanonig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Notwithstanding, you are still going to rank for Google.com in general.

Kanonig, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  4. echoutt

echoutt Member

Best Answers:
    great research, its possible to get in first page but do you think your website wil get visitor? what the use goto in first page google but theres is no visitor?

echoutt, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  5. jsfunstuff

jsfunstuff Banned

Best Answers:
    check the keyword in adword i think your keyword searches is to low

jsfunstuff, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  6. amiyo cast

amiyo cast Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice info you got here. Also, I think one of the reason is on how you optimized your title tag and meta description. As a searcher, I am reading the title and the description of the site if it suits to what I am looking for. I suggest that you have to make your title and description more enticing and informative as much as possible. Say something that's all about your site or page with the intention of dragging viewers to your site.

amiyo cast, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  7. Isaiah Jackson

Isaiah Jackson Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow thanks for the research, also just because you would rank for a keyword it doesn't guarantee that you will get traffic to your website

Isaiah Jackson, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  8. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Targetting poor searched/wrong keyphrases is the only reason ...

w3bmaster, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  9. twittermarketingstrategy

twittermarketingstrategy Peon

Best Answers:
    May be the keywords that you are using send less traffic, so try to occupy more keywords which helps to increase your website visitors. also start work on social media sites Facebook, Twitter.

10. Paultf

Paultf Peon

Best Answers:
    It's tough to assign a single factor like sponsored ads to success or failure. It can be a factor but unless you have the bucks and time to do empirical testing with a sufficient population to generate reliable and valid results, it's real hard to come to a broad conclusion. You'd need to be able to isolate individual factors and run some significant numbers. Two keywords and search results is too small a test. Plus, the raw search numbers are very unreliable.

I'm sure there are companies doing this type of research but I doubt they're sharing their data.

My experience is that the main factor is still keyword selection.

Paultf, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  11. rockeerz

rockeerz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ya sometimes it happens but give preference to keywords so that you may reach your target

rockeerz, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  12. sagaradsennse

sagaradsennse Member

Best Answers:
    really nice information and research... thanks for share it

sagaradsennse, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  13. Alina Tru

Alina Tru Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'll check out this soon.

Alina Tru, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  14. kuldeepjoshi

kuldeepjoshi Peon

Best Answers:
    Its a result of poor keywords research! You might be ranking on the keywords having no traffic on them.

kuldeepjoshi, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  15. Kanonig

Kanonig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, we can call it poor keyword search JUST for not taking consideration of the sponsored ads. My research was on two keywords generating almost (9, 500) exact global searches on a monthly basis. The keyword with 8 sponsored ads deliver less traffic to my site because in addition to the organic 10 listing we have here 8 more sites making it 18 all in all. You can imagine, the searches will definitely be divided across the the 18 sites on the search results. The health niche will only 1 sponsored ads and 10 listing only have 11 site to share the 9, 500 search queries.

Remove the 8 sponsored ads and the money making niche keyword will be as profitable as the health niche keywords.

Kanonig, Aug 19, 2011 IP
  16. jewel3000

jewel3000 Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting, but there could be other reasons one pulled better traffic than the other. Sometimes your meta description and meta title may bore the readers, so no one clicks.

I've read research articles that say that people don't trust advertisements as much as they do personal/editorial content. Of course, ads get clicked enough to make Google very rich, but I wouldn't assume everyone's blowing off the editorial entries because there are ads on the page.

Personally, I probably ignore about 70% of ads online. So I would click your link IF you're saying the right things to me in your meta's.

jewel3000, Aug 19, 2011 IP
  17. wiseman.wiseman05

wiseman.wiseman05 Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess your marketing is not sufficient and improper. you can try for classified ads besides the SEO. Or May be you're targeting the wrong keywords.

wiseman.wiseman05, Aug 19, 2011 IP