1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this legal? <---Please Look

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by SotaGamer, Jul 4, 2011.

First off, I live in Massachusetts, USA.

I want to create a program that allows gamers to buy points which they use to enter into games where the winner earns...more points. Long story short they can do stuff with those points.

My questions is basically, is that legal? I was wondering if that is considered gambling in any form and if I need the consent of gaming companies to use their game for these matches.

If anyone could let me know whether it is perfectly ok or I will be facing issues / lawsuits, please let me know.

SotaGamer, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  2. viadmin

viadmin Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd suggest you go off shore. You don't have to deal with a bunch of mean corporations and their lawyer here in the US... plus every time local/federal officials hear gaming they are highly likely to treat you like a criminal ....

viadmin, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  3. SotaGamer

SotaGamer Member

Best Answers:
    Are you suggesting I leave America? How would I possibly take this off shore....

SotaGamer, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  4. viadmin

viadmin Peon

Best Answers:
    It's your call. Personally I would not do any gambling related business in US. I've done it, had problems and learned the hard way.

You can register an off shore company and use it as "shell" to conduct business online.

I suggest you google what are the big companies doing in this business. Specifically do a research about where are they located/registered (and I assure you all of them are off shore) and what type of payment processors they use... that would give you a clear indication of what are the "best practices" in this industry.

viadmin, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  5. SotaGamer

SotaGamer Member

Best Answers:
    Well that's just it. Is it considered gambling?

I talked with support from RivalSpot.com which has people pay money to join and pays the winner direct cash. He said it is because it's all SKILL based, so therefore it is not gambling. He said it was considered Wagering and not gambling.

I would be doing the same except I would not be dealing with real money, but rather points. Gamers buy points so they can join a game where it is skill based to determine who wins. Not luck. So wouldn't that be perfectly ok?

6. SotaGamer

SotaGamer Member

Best Answers:
    I want a gaming matches website, not a search engine / survey site.....

7. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    No, he's suggesting you take the OPERATION offshore. Like most of the big gaming operations do.

contentboss, Jul 5, 2011 IP
  8. attorney jaffe

attorney jaffe Member

Best Answers:
    Whether your site is a site for gambling or a game of skill can make a difference.

While you live in MA, each state has their own laws about gambling.

These are complicated issues and very fact specific. My suggestion is for you to consult a lawyer and not rely on the short answers given in a forum.

attorney jaffe, Jul 6, 2011 IP
  9. SotaGamer

SotaGamer Member

Best Answers:
    I figured that is what it would come to, but I don't think I have the money to consult with a lawyer. Jaffe, do you know if buying points for your account and using those points to join games which have the potential to earn you more based on your skill and if you win is legal?

SotaGamer, Jul 7, 2011 IP
  10. Clear Fork Land Services

Clear Fork Land Services Member

Best Answers:
    Lawyer is a good idea. Research your state law as well.

11. Torafox

Torafox Peon

Best Answers:
    as long as there is no actual chance/gambling involved, I would say it is not gambling, rather an incentive-based scheme. but I am certainly no expert on US law - as people have recommended, getting a quick advice on this from an online lawyer site might be good.

Torafox, Jul 28, 2011 IP
  12. fm1234

fm1234 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't mean to be a party pooper, but if you don't have money to consult with a lawyer, you don't have money to start a business -- so the question is largely academic.

Sweepstakes, raffles, skill games, bingo, cards and sports gambling, lotteries and any and all other forms of "win stuff" propositions are regulated to the throat in the United States. In some cases, you'll have distinct regulations at the federal, state, county and city level. A simple research and assessment request to a law firm will set you back a few hundred bucks max, less than the deposit on your lease, less than you're likely to spend on a decent website design, or a week or so worth of advertising, or even the cash float you'll need to have onhand to keep your bank account solvent with chargebacks and other forms of fraud that are rampant among "point-based" operations.

Frank

fm1234, Aug 10, 2011 IP
  13. Kazarak

Kazarak Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd consult a lawyer. I wouldn't call your venture gambling, but I think you should be safe rather than sorry, so go consult a lawyer if you can. :)

Kazarak, Aug 10, 2011 IP
  14. unknownpray

unknownpray Active Member

Best Answers:
    Consult with a lawyer who has knowledge of this kind of law, actually we mere members who cannot give you expert advice.

unknownpray, Aug 22, 2011 IP