1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone willing to help a girl out?

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by yesterdays.ghost, Jul 29, 2011.

I'm a total blonde when it comes to all of this, but I'm trying to figure out what keywords I should be trying to rank for. I know I shouldn't go for those highly competitive, and using keywords tools is like doing brain surgery for me - dangerous!

I have a pr2 4 month old blog that I'm really trying to do good with, I'm just so lost. The blog is a hodgepodge of family, parenting, giveaways and reviews if that helps.

I also don't have a lot of money, I'm a stay at home mom living on a fixed income - I know this hinders a lot = (

yesterdays.ghost, Jul 29, 2011 IP
  2. cr0n1cal

cr0n1cal Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to help you. Please tell me more about your situation on PM.

cr0n1cal, Jul 31, 2011 IP
  3. fm1234

fm1234 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure how you're coming up with your content ideas now, but your blog <em>is</em> kind of ... diffuse ... in focus. However, if you think about it, many other motherhood/parenting-centered sites and magazines are, primarily because while "parenting" is a verb, it surely isn't a single action.

I'd suggest that you focus less on keywords than on topics and trends -- ie. when you're looking for general ideas on what to features as content, get the general ideas <em>first</em> from sources like Google Trends, topical sites, forums etc. and then "work your way in" to the keywords as the content is shaping up.

What I mean is, there are certain subsets of any niche that are going to never not be good topics -- eg. quick and easy but nutritious cooking for parents. As long as there are parents, and until the replicators from "Star Trek" are in every kitchen, somebody's got to put together something for the kids to eat, and it would be nice if it wasn't Twinkies. So proceeding from the broad perennial topic, what you're looking for is more specific and timely ideas to tailor your content, rather than looking for general content ideas. Finding places where this topic is discussed, and where user-generated content is extant, is your key to refining the topics. When you actually get to a specific thing about which to write, then using tools like WordTracker's Keyword Questions or SEOBook's keyword tool (both require registration, but both are free) can help you get the fine details down by helping you ascertain the specific things people are typing into search engines when they look for that particular recipe (or other tip.)

Hope this makes sense -- short version (too late!) is simply that broad-interest niches like parenting tend to not suffer from a lack of topics, and that really digging into keyword metrics to see if apple pie or apple fritters will get you a better CTR is putting too much work ahead of publication. Optimised content makes the most money, but general content peppered in with the right keywords makes more money than a site with no content will.

Frank

fm1234, Aug 10, 2011 IP
  4. vayzalzha

vayzalzha Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    no pain no gain my man

vayzalzha, Aug 10, 2011 IP
  5. Fab_DM

Fab_DM Active Member

Best Answers:
    use Google tools for keyword research as you are on tight budget.
    You have a pr2 blog, are you monetizing it in some ways?
    At least you should have AdSense in it.....

Fab_DM, Aug 13, 2011 IP