1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Building a social networking site from scratch or using a social networking script?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by chiboy, Jul 25, 2011.

Hello all,

please i have a problem and need your vital information to help me decide on what next to do.

I want to start a social networking site but is having problem deciding which way to go on whether to build the site from scratch or use a social networking script.

Please friends, based on your experiences and ideas, I would like to know the positives and negatives of either building the site from scratch or using a social networking script.

i would also like to know which SN script is best and why(that is if you think using a SN script is better)( i would also like to know more on phpfox and SE 3 or SE 4 scripts. can they hold a huge number of users and at the same time, like in millions?)

Please consider the following 3 points below in addition to your personal reasons while making your contributions for me.

1. The site is for a niche that would carry million of followership and will be also having very huge number of users(in millions) on the site at every particular time.

2. the site will also be continually developed from time to time to improve on it, scalability.

3. the cost implications involved.

Please i would welcome your very kind, informed and quick contributions on this issue as i want to embark on the project almost immediately.

Thanks in anticipation.

chiboy, Jul 25, 2011 IP
  2. chiboy

chiboy Peon

Best Answers:
    hello all,

please i need your contributions on my above question.

thank you

chiboy, Jul 26, 2011 IP
  3. n3r0x

n3r0x Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would have built it from scratch (if you´re a coder) that way you have more control over the quality of the code..

If you aren´t a coder yourself I suggest you use a popular socialnetwork engine (don´t know any) one, or hire a Real coder (not a cheap alternative).

n3r0x, Jul 26, 2011 IP
  4. dthoai

dthoai Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's better to develop site from well-known script. Many people has tried it so you don't have to worry about its quality.

I think vBulletin is best. Many forums use it. Most of biggest forums use it.

This forum is an example for having very huge number of users.

vBulletin has plug-in architecture for easily to extend.

vBulletin 4.0 Publishing Suite: $285

dthoai, Jul 27, 2011 IP
  5. nikd

nikd Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you want the complete controls i suggest doing it from scratch by yourself. This will help you in scalability factor when you are ready for phase 2 as you know the complete code of it. So go with Custom website that is based completely on your logic and where you do not need to compromise for even a tiny bit of thing.

nikd, Jul 27, 2011 IP
  6. forexaff

forexaff Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Vbulletin is a forum.. not sure how it fits into the social networking game. SocialEngine is pretty good so far. Ideally you start with a script and then customize is as you scale along. It would be less of a hassle and over time you actually become comfortable in identifying the various files with different functions.

forexaff, Jul 27, 2011 IP
  7. Torafox

Torafox Peon

Best Answers:
    vBulletin CMS, as recommended here, isn't a bad choice. although it's mainly a forum software, the CMS package does have a lot of features, and some people have already been fairly successful creating social sites with it. programming a social CMS from scratch, on the other hand, is LOTS of work. we do know since we've done it :) it does give you a lot of flexibility though - for example you can implement complex user rankings, achievements, custom functions etc which vBulletin doesn't have by default.

Torafox, Jul 29, 2011 IP
  8. chiboy

chiboy Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm interested in full social networking and not just the forum, so the vBulletin does not fit in here.
    Any more suggestions will be appreciated.
    Whether its building from scratch or using a SN script, pls let me know the advantages and disadvantages in the scripts i have mentioned above or if there's abetter script, i would love to know it.

chiboy, Jul 29, 2011 IP
  9. Aaron White

Aaron White Peon

Best Answers:
    I run a Social Engine site. I can tell you for sure that it can not handle millions of users. I use a 12 core Dual Xeon to host 40 co-current users.

Aaron White, Jul 30, 2011 IP
  10. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't know enough to do what you want. Hire someone who does.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 30, 2011 IP
  11. chiboy

chiboy Peon

Best Answers:
    Since you know more than the person in need and the idea of the project, why don't you enligthen us?
    pls any more info would be appreciated.
    is there a better script? social engine seem like the best around from my findings but would stil like to more about it.
    any idea of good & clean developer who can do the job from scratch?
    awaiting your contributions.
    thanks.

chiboy, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  12. computersoftinfo

computersoftinfo Peon

Best Answers:
    In respect of your points 1 - 3 I should say:

Quote:
    [TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: alt2, bgcolor: #EBEBEB"]1. The site is for a niche that would carry million of followership and will be also having very huge number of users(in millions) on the site at every particular time.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

ambitious, at least.
    millions of followership?
    users in millions?

Both ? should trigger some thought.

Quote:
    [TR]
    [TD="class: alt2, bgcolor: #EBEBEB"]2. the site will also be continually developed from time to time to improve on it, scalability.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

disconnect there. the site has nothing to do with it. the db storage and normalisation is the only thing relative to the issue of scaleability.

Quote:
    [TR]
    [TD="class: alt2, bgcolor: #EBEBEB"]3. the cost implications involved.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

depends on your coding skills and overall knowledge as said by Fumigator

computersoftinfo, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  13. Thorlax402

Thorlax402 Member

Best Answers:
    If you plan on millions of users, your going to need someone who is a coder and/or server manager no questions asked. However, this does seem quite ambitious for someone on a budget and with seemingly no game plan. What you're proposing sounds like you need a legitimate business model. You would also almost definitely need the site created from scratch. It's the only way to get the true uniqueness you would need to reach all those people.

Thorlax402, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  14. rockyg

rockyg Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you want it to be unique or the same as thousands of other social networking sites? If you want it unique, you're going to be coding anyway, either from scratch or altering existing code.

Please friends, based on your experiences and ideas, I would like to know the positives and negatives of either building the site from scratch or using a social networking script.
    Depends on your server mostly.
    If you really are going to have millions of users are you really gonna run them off a $300 script?

More expensive to start from scratch naturally. But what doesn't make sense is you talk about millions of users on your site and then worry about whether it costs more to use a $300 existing script or a $30,000 unique script. If you really are that confident of having millions of users, you'll have a full time coder working for you anyway building features. Or you think people will hang around with nothing new happening to the site which you'll develop 'time to time'??

rockyg, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  15. saladflorida

saladflorida Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you're on tight budget, try jcow script

saladflorida, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  16. tarakesh.rao

tarakesh.rao Peon

Best Answers:
    Well

There are too many Social networking sites available now.

Better you use a script to make life easier.
    Try Using jcrow or dolphin 

tarakesh.rao, Aug 6, 2011 IP
  17. Jordan Jones

Jordan Jones Peon

Best Answers:
    Use a script if you are unable to code it yourself but I would rather code it myself to ensure I know everything on it and it'll be more flexible that way.

Jordan Jones, Aug 6, 2011 IP
  18. thefreegate

thefreegate Member

Best Answers:
    thefreegate, Aug 8, 2011 IP
  19. chiboy

chiboy Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks to you all.

i'll welcome contact from anyone who has a way forward on this issue.
    would prefer to build from scracth or atleast alternate/modify codes as i'll need uniqueness and efficiency but would want to start small.

thank you.

chiboy, Aug 12, 2011 IP
  20. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ilook, Aug 17, 2011 IP