1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cannonical Issues - Setting preferred URL

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by tovee, Aug 1, 2011.

Google has indexed both www and non-www versions of my site. Two weeks ago I chose the www version as my preferred url. In search results, I rank better with the non-www in my keywords and I am wondering if this is just a temporary dance and that both urls will rank the same on the keywords. I am tempted to go back to the non-www version because it is bringing more traffic. However, I have invested more time on links using the www version. I really need some advice on this before i commit an unenforced error. please help.my website is www.laptops-for-cheap.co.ukThanksTovee

tovee, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  2. revium

revium Member

Best Answers:
    You need to setup a redirect in your .htaccess file, redirecting all non www pages to the www version. This will solve your problem.

revium, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  3. indianseocompany

indianseocompany Peon

Best Answers:
    use 301 redirect using .htaccess or you can set up a google webmasters account and can select your preference.

indianseocompany, Aug 2, 2011 IP
  4. tovee

tovee Peon

Best Answers:
    I do have 301 redirect in my .htaccess file and I have a GWT account. As said in the original post, I have set my www version as the preference, however, my problem was that since I did this, my SERP with my keywords -especially Google has taken a dip. On some occasions, it appears the non-www version goes through the google filters and I get better ranking. Did I do something wrong or it is just a google dance?

tovee, Aug 2, 2011 IP
  5. revium

revium Member

Best Answers:
    It might take a little while to settle down, but if you are redirecting all of your non www pages to www you should be in good shape.

revium, Aug 2, 2011 IP
  6. tovee

tovee Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot revium. i was a bit worried something went wrong, your answer is quite reassuring.

tovee, Aug 2, 2011 IP
  7. revium

revium Member

Best Answers:
    Just keep in mind that when you do a 301 redirect, a small amount of link juice is lost, it is not much but a little. This could have a small affect on your rankings if many of your back links were going to the non www version of your pages, but as you build more links internally and externally to the www version your rankings should stabilize once again.

revium, Aug 2, 2011 IP
  8. tovee

tovee Peon

Best Answers:
    I am waiting patiently, hopeful that the ranking will bounce back soon. Thanks all for your contribution.

tovee, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  9. My SEO Pandit

My SEO Pandit Peon

Best Answers:
    Use 301 redirection. When google crawl your www version automatically it will be updated. so no need to worry.

My SEO Pandit, Aug 4, 2011 IP
  10. tovee

tovee Peon

Best Answers:
    Just another question! Do I need to submit a sitemap for both urls or should I only submit for the preferred URL?

tovee, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  11. C.Rebecca

C.Rebecca Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you forget to redirect your one version to your preferred version of your website. Your non-www version is getting more traffic, so redirect it to www version, this technique will merge your both versions, traffic and backlinks as well.

C.Rebecca, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  12. sowellavena

sowellavena Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can resolve this issue using 301 Redirect, change in your .htaccess file.

sowellavena, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  13. Icecube_media

Icecube_media Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Take a help with 301 redirect . It would help to move your domain froom non www to www .

Icecube_media, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  14. Ajay Bhargava

Ajay Bhargava Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, 301 redirection is best option. Moreover you can set canonical code on your home page like this <link rel="canonical" href="prefer domain name"/>

Ajay Bhargava, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  15. gogetit

gogetit Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes @Ajay is right. you should set canonical tag on your page. canonical tag let the search engine which version of domain(non www or www) should be indexed.

gogetit, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  16. tovee

tovee Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, it is all done.

tovee, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  17. tovee

tovee Peon

Best Answers:
    I virtually dropped to nowhere in Google serps and I could not figure out why. This happened after I had a 301 redirection to sort out cannonical issues because I had both non-www and www versions of my site indexed in google. After spending days agonising why google is punishing me and trawling the web for clues. I used multiple redirect checkers and two of them returned two 200 errors - my index page was indexed twice i.e as www.laptops-for-cheap.co.uk/ and www.laptops-for-cheap.co.uk/index.php. I then did two ridirections- for the non-ww to www and for index.php to the default index page as shown below.
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.laptops-for-cheap\.co\.uk
    RewriteRule (.*) http://www.laptops-for-cheap.co.uk/$1 [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^.*/index\.php
    RewriteRule ^(.*)index.php$ http://www.laptops-for-cheap.co.uk/$1 [R=301,L]

This is what google did - wiped out all my links from WMT - I am not sure whether this has any connection with error/'punishment'
    I did not appear in the top 1000 and I did not want to bother checking if I appeared after 1000.
    Consequently I could not even rank with my title keyword and of course all organic traffic evaporated.

Since I corrected this yesterday, I can see myself from a distant though in the top 200 on some keywords. I am anxiously waiting for any good news.
    I hope this will help someone with same problem like mine.

tovee, Aug 11, 2011 IP