1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Downloading Mandrake

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by SEbasic, May 5, 2005.

OK,

So I've been thinking about what to go for in terms of a Linux install on a couple of spare boxes that I have, and I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go for Mandriva (Formally known as Mandrake)...

So, I just want to have a play and would rather not have to pay for it (But I will if it's the only way to get a copy).

Basically, the site says that I have to pay $45 for the ability to download mandriva...

Is this the only way to do it?

Also, in terms of having a nice, easy to use, Linux install on a box, it mandrake the best option (It's meant to be pretty easy for novice linux users)...

Cheers

SEbasic, May 5, 2005 IP
  2. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    I downloaded it from http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3 and never had to pay for that. Just don't do what I did and download the DVD ISO only to reaslise the machine I was installing on only had a CD player.

dct, May 5, 2005 IP
  3. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah ha!

Thank you very much...

For anyone else who is interested, you can find the mandriva download page here

I will be joining the "club" if I actually decide to use it.

dct (You changed your name???) what do you think of it anyway? Are you pleased with Mandrake? Easy(ish) to use?

SEbasic, May 5, 2005 IP
  4. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    My Mandrake tale is a tale of woe. I downloaded and burnt DVD and then was confused to why it wouldn't boot. Quickly (honest) realised the server was only equipped with a CD-ROM drive so went about downloading the 3 CDs.

Started installing off CD only to find halfway through the third disc that it contained corrupt files. One coaster and 650MB later tried again and all seemed well.

Booted up tried to go into Windows to find it didn't like my TFT, threw discs and DVD out of Window (DVDS go further) and went back to XP.

This is the second time Linux has burnt me, the first time was when Doom was new and Linux (with X Windows) came on about 60 floppy discs, but that's another story.

I will try Mandrake again soon, I am currently using Ubuntu on a CRT as it too took an instant dislike to my TFT.

dct, May 5, 2005 IP
  5. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    As good as it is I don't think "mandriva" is you best option.

I use and recomend SuSE, great for both a power user or new user.

I also like many of the Debian based distros like Mepis or PCLinuxOS.

All the links you need can be found by exploring http://distrowatch.com/

mushroom, May 5, 2005 IP
  6. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice Mushroom...

Out of interest, is there any specific reason you would suggest SuSE over other versions of linux?

SEbasic, May 5, 2005 IP
  7. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    SuSE has:
    1. Yast which alows you to configure and manage your computer with a GUI with no need to use the command line interface.
    2. susewatcher which tells you when up-dates are availible, and Yast makes up-dating a breeze
    3. Package dependaces are well managed.
    4. SuSE has almost any thing worth having, included in it.
    5. It's great package, works well, and is very user freindly.
    6. No login, regestration, or fee is required

As with any OS up-dating is very important SuSE handles the whole issue very well.

Note: I buy the boxed set which comes on 5 CD's, etc for installation on hard drives.
    For live CD's like using Mepis or PCLinuxOS
    For more Linux info visit http://www.usalug.org/ see you there. :)

mushroom, May 5, 2005 IP
    anthonycea likes this.