1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I do Hate IE.... But it made me learn many things :)

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Trix, Jul 26, 2011.

Most web developers believe that IE is total crap. Though it had made me crazy while I have developed html/css/js based things in the past few years, I have learnt many things especially while trying to find a fix for IE. So thanks to IE !!! ... If IE is'nt there web development wouldn't be so interesting :D

So.... what about you ? Do you feel you have learnt more things because of IE ?

Trix, Jul 26, 2011 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I learned to increase my client billing dollars and hours because it takes longer to make things work in IE.
    I learned you can never trust IE to do anything right.
    I learned that if it works in IE, but no other browser, that my code is wrong.
    I learned you can't learn anything by using IE.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 26, 2011 IP
  3. xDemevenx

xDemevenx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I learned how to recommend Firefox to all my clients. =P

But I'll agree with you. I'm starting to learn coding a lot more since I'm on summer vacation so the IE workarounds help to build a better understanding of how to code, and why IE really shouldn't be used as a browser until it gets a major overhaul.

xDemevenx, Jul 26, 2011 IP
  4. Trix

Trix Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol...

Not always.... IE doesn't work well with elements without proper end tags or mismatching end tags..... I have seen in situations like that, it screws up the page in IE..... then i will have a look at my code and see some mismatching tags....... I don't know whether it is a specification that browsers must comply.... but it certainly made me correct my code :D............ Same is the case with unclosed quotes in attributes....

If i remember any other points, will update it here ;)

True.... But the problem is that, most intranets depends on IE......

Trix, Jul 26, 2011 IP
  5. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    ALWAYS!
    Browsers are required by the spec to do their best so you have more proof of just how bad a browser IE is by that but you shouldn't expect any browser to read your mind from errors in markup.

By far, IE is the worst browser on the planet. Years behind all others in modern standards and practices. Inept at best. Incompetent in others. IE will never measure up to any other browser.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 27, 2011 IP
  6. shyamasrisen

shyamasrisen Peon

Best Answers:
    I think IE is good but i like other browser......

shyamasrisen, Jul 27, 2011 IP
  7. Trix

Trix Peon

Best Answers:
    Did I ever said IE is good ?.... The thread is not aimed at how bad is IE .... :D

Trix, Jul 27, 2011 IP
  8. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes but I replied to your statement.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 27, 2011 IP
  9. zudhire

zudhire Peon

Best Answers:
    The cross browser issues with IE is still the nightmare for all web designers, but those issues and the hours we spend on to solve them sharpened our skills.

zudhire, Jul 29, 2011 IP
  10. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Absolutely false! Trying to come up with ways around IE's bugs does not sharpen one's skills in the correct way of doing things for every other browser.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 30, 2011 IP
  11. Trix

Trix Peon

Best Answers:
    while trying to explore workarounds.... we learn new things ;)....

Trix, Jul 30, 2011 IP
  12. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're trying to learn how an engine works, you don't learn anything by studying one that works differently than a proper one. You learn by studying one that works how it's supposed to work. If turning the key is supposed to start the engine, you learn nothing when turning the key starts the windshield wipers on a Microsoft engine. If anything, it will confuse you, waste your time, and cost you money. Just like IE, a total waste of time, effort and money.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 31, 2011 IP
  13. Trix

Trix Peon

Best Answers:
    You miss my point.... think about you were new to web designing... and you were searching for a workaround.... do you think you will get the solution straight ? you will not find any other better approaches than what you have been doing ?.... Knowing what you do is a standard way is also a learning ;)

may be you are pro in designing and you know many things already.....

Trix, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  14. eleetgeek

eleetgeek Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you guys tried IE9 ?
    Check its rendering of CSS3 and HTML5 ?
    Checked the memory load it takes ?

Compared the technicality with Chrome , Firefox , Opera ? (yea Safari too)

If you check deep. IE9.0 is way better than other current browsers.

If things don't work in IE, it is simply because, your website is not following semantics or does not have appropriate doctype!

Keep up with quality and see the magic.

eleetgeek, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  15. vampiro

vampiro Peon

Best Answers:
    IE has been the free browser application program packaged with MS Office and it has been the very basic browser with simpler and easy coding and runs with different types of programming. It also helped me learn several codes.

But due to its improvement and updates just to cope up with the changes of other browser, it has made IE a slow and unfriendly browser. I often use other browser than IE>

vampiro, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  16. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I get your point but your point is learning how to do things the right way by finding workarounds to IE's wrong way of doing things. That's a waste of time you could be using to learn the right way to do things. You learn from your own errors and shouldn't waste them on IE's errors.
    Yes, I am and I do.

drhowarddrfine, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  17. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Another clueless DP user who knows absolutely nothing. For the equally clueless, see my link in my sig. In the meantime, @eleetgeek, when you don't know what you're talking about, you shouldn't make a fool of yourself by posting such things.

drhowarddrfine, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  18. John.Adword

John.Adword Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Fire Fox 5 ROCKS

John.Adword, Aug 2, 2011 IP
  19. ardianet

ardianet Member

Best Answers:
    LoL, I really like that point.

Once, a client wanted to have a table-look-alike-design form in full CSS(no table tags). Quite a time for me to code the CSS. and when it's done, I try to 'adjust' the look on IE, and that's just made me code much more for the look.

Well, for me this IE 'problem' were started when web designer/developer start to build a 'Tableless' website.
    While most of people/clients still using IE for their web browser (not mention the peoples who use Safari).
    and there you goes the CSS vs Table clash begin,etc.,etc... 

Well, I just read some of the content here : 
    http://www.decloak.com/dev/csstables/css_tables_01.aspx . there were quite interesting topics about the CSS vs Table, also IE with other browsers Issues(loading time, compability,etc.). 

Well, what I learned from the 'Mighty' IE are :
    Write a 'web-safe' code (HTML & CSS).
    Do 'Web-safe' design (PSD/Slicing)
    Optimizing image (for override such thing like rounded corner, shadow, etc)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    ardianet, Aug 2, 2011 IP
  20. eleetgeek

eleetgeek Peon

Best Answers:
    Pity my ignorance but, your arrogance is definitely not appreciated.
    I wish, you do 'better' research than create a blog to prove yourself the otherwise.
    IE is not a virus magnet. If you were in London, I would invite you to see me at DC4420 this August and prove that IE 9.0 is NOT a virus magnet and to rest other anit-microsoft , open-source fanatics. Do not go over blogs, do your own research.
    Getting a Mozilla blog with biased results does not prove it greater, my friend.

eleetgeek, Aug 2, 2011 IP