1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hired for Research Papers?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by SallyF, Jul 25, 2011.

Have you ever been hired to write research papers or essays? I once was solicited for such a service but I declined it. I wasn't comfortable with the concept.

SallyF, Jul 25, 2011 IP
  2. Tyler Banfield

Tyler Banfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've edited a few personal essays for clients. However, I haven't done any academic ghostwriting.

Here's an interesting story about someone who has (over 5,000 pages in a year): http://chronicle.com/article/The-Shadow-Scholar/125329/

Tyler Banfield, Jul 25, 2011 IP
  3. healthdomainbuyer

healthdomainbuyer Peon

Best Answers:
    I did academic work at one point at a desperate time in my life. The company was very well-managed and billed their services as "model" papers for students to use as examples. The students also had to sign a release stating they wouldn't use the papers as their own work. I'm sure some did, but I felt a bit better knowing I was writing for a company and not for an individual student. As soon as my financial circumstances improved, I stopped doing that kind of work.

healthdomainbuyer, Jul 26, 2011 IP
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Reading the article mentioned wasn't really all that enlightening - the business model is far from new, just infinitely easier to achieve through the web. I don't know if it's still online but there's at least one site offering a marketplace to pair writers with "students" needing papers. The truly horrific parts of the article were the examples of the students' emails.

What was sad was how many profs in the comments made excuses that they had too many students or other constraints on their time to care. Seems like the ones who try to do the right thing are stymied by administrations who worry more about tuition than providing an education to their students. I'm so glad I went to a small college before the Internet was around.

A recently released educational study from Washington state mentioned that 40% of the students in that state entering community and tech colleges in 2004 needed remedial math and/or English. Another article from Colorado identified a far higher number of students requiring remedial courses. Some of the Ivy League schools report yet even higher numbers. Seems like the computer age is doing more to dumb everyone down than offering more opportunities to actually learn something. That's the real shame in all of this.

YMC, Jul 26, 2011 IP
  5. KMC

KMC Peon

Best Answers:
    Academic ghostwriting is a very lucrative business model, and if you're up to the task, it's likely that you'll have more work than you can handle. Laziness and a lack of diligent study habits it becoming more commonplace amongst upper class students, so it's really isn't such a shock that someone could make a steady income from offering this type of service.

I've actually done a fair amount of work in this market myself. And yes, it does pay VERY well. It's interesting, to say the least, and I never did find myself inundated with boring tasks.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am by no means an advocate of students cheating their way through their classes, but, I have no problem turning their garbled drafts into brilliant masterpieces. Not everyone has a knack for writing like I do, so if I can help someone make their work better and get paid for it at the same time, then I'm all for it.

KMC, Jul 26, 2011 IP
  6. raconnor

raconnor Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I had read that article a while back but had lost the link and have been looking for it for a long time. Thanks for the post!!

raconnor, Jul 28, 2011 IP
    Tyler Banfield likes this.
  7. writermichael

writermichael Peon

Best Answers:
     The bet type of research paper writing is to re-write a draft. Thought if you like to learn...

writermichael, Aug 2, 2011 IP
  8. DE.Ltd

DE.Ltd Peon

Best Answers:
    I Have been Doing Research papers, Essays, Dissertations for several years and I am quite happy doing it. It really need the head out of your regular works -you need to put all your past academic lessons and make the work look neat.

DE.Ltd, Aug 11, 2011 IP
  9. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, but it's not related to the Internet. I have a friend who is making a steady income doing this to his friends. And friends of his friends. He is charging something like $500 for the Thesis. What he does? Type on the computer, review grammar and syntax, general improvement. A couple of days work. That's all.

omarabid, Aug 12, 2011 IP
  10. Sue7M3

Sue7M3 Peon

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of term paper mills out there. I won't work for them either. I refuse to help someone cheat. There's no excuse on earth that justifies paying someone to do your schoolwork for you. It's unethical at best.

Sue7M3, Aug 18, 2011 IP