1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can i improve My PHP level !

Discussion in 'PHP' started by javacom, Nov 28, 2008.

Hello,
    am a new php coder and i want to know how can i improve my PHP coding.

cause when i see a script a big one i can't understand it.

and the other thing is that i can't found how to practice all what i know and also test it.

so please if some one could help me to found a way to improve my level, and how can i practice all what a know(idea of web site, example of application, and so.... ).

thanks a lot

javacom, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  2. shantanubala

shantanubala Peon

Best Answers:
    W3schools (http://w3schools.com/) will teach you everything you need to know to start off if you have the determination to teach yourself. From there, you can start by building a simple login system, then add a blog system, then add an admin panel, and keep programming until you get used to the quirks of PHP. From there, you can learn how to optimize your code and security.

I really don't know much about your scenario, but there are plenty of PHP tutorials out there. Just Google search.

shantanubala, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  3. misbah

misbah Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can try this site too
    http://www.tizag.com
    Code (markup):

misbah, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  4. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    To move on to larger programming, you most likely need to start using OOP and MVC style programming. These are usually the base of advanced programming. Also, starting looking at design patterns.

Some people's programming, especially when they come from much more strict languages like C++, is very cryptic compared to your average ground-up php programmer. In these cases it's often very difficult for a non-programmer to understand the flow and method to their programming.

jestep, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  5. mrmaf

mrmaf Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok. Please make daily targets to do tasks, no matter how much time these tasks will take, if your daily task is done within ten min then dont go for another task. But if your task is taking lot of time, try to complete within 24hours at regular interval. U MUST HAVE TO REMAIN UR MIND FRESH.

If u act over my advice honestly then in the future you will be the greatest php programmer. Followings are the stairs of your destination.

1) Learn complete basic of php, no matter how much time it take, if ground will be strong then building will be strong.

2) Learn interaction with database. Insertion, deletion, updation and displaying records is not enough, there are lot more things that one must need to know.

3) Learn session handling- because without session it will be impossible to make any dynamic website

4) Learn how to use cookies

5) See some good dynamic work on other website and try to do it at ur end.

6) You must know resources where you will get solution of your problem. One is me:)

7) Try to use php with different databases like MS SQL SERVER, MS ACCESS and ORACLE because normally people use mysql with php and they think that its ok. its not ok because when u will have to store large data in the database then you will have to use MS SQL SERVER or ORACLE

Use database abstration layer while connecting with any database, because some one may ask you to change the database after complete development of website, then using database abstraction layer method you will have to change just one page and whole website will be connected to the desired database.

8) Learn AJAX- but before this Learn javascript because AJAX is the advanced form of javascript and plus point is its dealing directly with database server.

9) Learn JQUERY- A Framework of javascript

10) Try to use OOP Concepts

11) After you have lot of experince in coding then you have to learn Framework of PHP like Smarty, Joomla and Cake, its v easy

So try with echo and end at ..... yeah there is no limit of ending

If u found any problem then u may contact me.

mrmaf, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  6. irunbackwards

irunbackwards Peon

Best Answers:
    php.net has a reference manual for every function. it's like using the dictionary when you don't understand a word.

irunbackwards, Nov 28, 2008 IP
  7. javacom

javacom Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you so much for all your help, and hope that one day i will have your level ;).
    just a little question please :
    what's mean design pattern and if possible a real example to how use them.

javacom, Nov 29, 2008 IP
  8. blackthought286

blackthought286 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A design pattern is certain way to set up a programming problem. An example would be a MVC(Model, View Controller). Model would be the database calls, View would be the code that outputs html, and Controller would be the code that does the work. A good starting point would be here http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorial/design-patterns---introduction

blackthought286, Nov 29, 2008 IP
  9. qualityfirst

qualityfirst Peon

Best Answers:
    W3Schools has the best PHP tutorials by far. I've tried many tutorial sites, and none of them taught me better and more than W3schools.

qualityfirst, Nov 29, 2008 IP
  10. pondlife

pondlife Peon

Best Answers:
    pondlife, Nov 30, 2008 IP
  11. khu84

khu84 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The best thing to improve skills is the experience. Keep working on daily tasks. If you found challenges/probs try searching stuff on google to solve them and this way you will be learning much. Just keep yourself busy. Either for your own work or by working for someone else.

Also check out my php blog: http://codingtricks.blogspot.com

khu84, Nov 30, 2008 IP
  12. javacom

javacom Peon

Best Answers:
    thank you so much again :).

javacom, Nov 30, 2008 IP
  13. AnonymousUser

AnonymousUser Peon

Best Answers:
    Best advice from me is to WRITE and TEST
    Reading gives you knowladge of the functions/scripts THEN, but in a few days you may forget it, If you write and test wast uve read u will pick up on it advance.

AnonymousUser, Nov 30, 2008 IP
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    hang out at the forums at phpBuilder.com and learn from the answers given by others, and give answers to others - even if it means you have to spend time learning first. You'll be driven to consider problems and solutions you might not have thought have considered.

sarahk, Nov 30, 2008 IP
  15. joebert

joebert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The best thing I ever did was setup a junker system I have at home behind a router as a server using Ubuntus server-edition.

It's soo much easier to learn when you can break something knowing you can just dump the harddrive and start from scratch. Which isn't likely to happen too often, but having the stress of breaking someone elses system off your shoulders, not to mention the "I have to learn as much as possible before my hosting bill is due!", frees you to actually learn.

Come to think of it, I bet those two points are large factors in why a lot of people never get anywhere in their quest to learn.

joebert, Nov 30, 2008 IP
  16. mrmaf

mrmaf Peon

Best Answers:
    mrmaf, Jul 26, 2011 IP
  17. beven

beven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice work done...... I also agree with your first thread post as well

beven, Jul 26, 2011 IP
  18. Torafox

Torafox Peon