1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's the most effective link building strategy?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by fcmisc, Apr 1, 2008.

?

What's the most effective link building strategy?

1. Directory Submissions

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. Article Submissions

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. Social Bookmarking

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Blog Comments

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. Something else

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
    I like article submissions as they seem to get distributed all over the net. But the links I get aren't always very high quality.

I'm not too convinced by directory submissions as directories are just lists of links.

I don't like social bookmarking, as it bookmarking your own page feels a bit spammy.

Blog commenting can be interest, as it gets you to read lots of blogs. But finding dofollow links can be tough as people often change from dofollow to nofollow after being spammed.

What does everyone else think?

fcmisc, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  2. alokverma

alokverma Peon

Best Answers:
    I think directory submission is a great way to get effective links for a website/blog

alokverma, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  3. Loy Maben

Loy Maben Peon

Best Answers:
    directory submission is d bst way 4 building links.

Loy Maben, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  4. river

river Active Member

Best Answers:
    Article submissions have work great for me. If they're well written and informative many site owners will post them.

river, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  5. Lurznm

Lurznm Banned

Best Answers:
    You guys bump a really old thread way to go ;)

I would like to comment on this one
    This statement should not be in general, in social bookmarking you can add some friends and through them you can promote your links vice versa.

Lurznm, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  6. visualjava1216

visualjava1216 Peon

Best Answers:
    Directory submission is the best for me!

visualjava1216, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  7. fcmisc

fcmisc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure they even need to be well written or informative. I wrote a basic article and it was splogged to over 150 pages within a month. All I did was post it to

ezinearticles
    buzzle
    articlealley
    articlebase
    goarticles

At the moment I'm only submitting to those 5. Should the list be modifed in any way? I don't like spending too much time submitting articles as it's very dull, and articles get copied around anyway.

fcmisc, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  8. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I've had good link-building success with directory submissions. That has resulted in tons of backlinks, a modest number of which yield a nice PR flow and some traffic.

Lately I've gotten into social bookmarking. One of the benefits I've seen there is an increasing number of deep links showing up in Google Webmaster Tools.

Jim4767, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  9. fcmisc

fcmisc Active Member

Best Answers:
    How exactly do you do your social bookmarking? I take it there's more to it than just adding every page of your site to your bookmark list.

fcmisc, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  10. WebAttend

WebAttend Guest

Best Answers:
    I believe a link from a page that ranks well in the serps will outweigh all of the mentioned methods (unless you found a follow blog comment on a well ranking page).

WebAttend, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  11. wisam74us

wisam74us Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What about doing all of them, when it comes to link building you need to use all available weapons

wisam74us, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  12. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My approach is pretty simple. My main site is del.icio.us. I've got all my pages' links on that one (about 140+ pages). Most other social bookmarking sites (but not all of them) have an easy tool to import all your del.icio.us links.

Jim4767, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  13. chris265

chris265 Peon

Best Answers:
    Directory submission is the best one then articles.

chris265, Apr 1, 2008 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  14. Gazzerman

Gazzerman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I noticed all the links are nofollow in del.icio.us, what benfit does this add to your site? is it just for traffic?

Gazzerman, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  15. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am starting to get minor traffic from del.icio.us, as well as from a number of other social bookmarking sites.

I use del.icio.us as my "master" bookmarking site, keeping it up to date with all my new pages. Then as I add a new bookmarking site, I simply import the entire del.icio.us list of bookmarks. It takes about one minute.

Here are some more benefits of del-icio.us, from an article in Search Engine Journal at http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...del.icio.us+nofollow&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us

Monitoring social bookmarking services like Del.icio.us, StumbleUpon and Ma.gnolia can help search engines in multiple ways by:
    • Indexing Sites Faster : Humans bookmark sites launched by their friends or colleagues before a search engine bot can find them.
    • Deeper Indexing : Many pages bookmarked are deep into sites and sometimes not as easily linked to by others, found via bad or nonexistent site navigation or linked to from external pages.
    • Defining Quality : If someone takes the time to bookmark a site, it usually has some quality to it.
    • Measuring Quality : Essentially if more users bookmark a page, the more quality and relevance that site has. A site with multiple bookmarks across multiple bookmarking services by multiple users is much more of an authority than a site with only several bookmarks by the same user.
    • External Meta Data : Users who bookmark sites tag them with keywords and descriptions which add an honest and unbiased definition which is created by the public and not the owner of the site.
    • Co Citation : Social bookmarking sites tend to categorize sites and pages based upon the tags used by humans to describe the site; therefore search algortihms can classify these sites with their peers.

Jim4767, Apr 1, 2008 IP
    fcmisc likes this.
  16. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    Delicious is good for driving traffic (you will need high quality content).
    Other that this it's not SEO friendly.

zexy, Apr 1, 2008 IP
  17. choicefreedom2000

choicefreedom2000 Peon

Best Answers:
    The best method is to submit it to article becuase from there you can get multiple links. whereas submitting to Directory and blog comments will not do so. And about social bookmarking generally it gives backlinks but very few are bookmarking it if your content is not interesting

So the best things is to concentrate more on article submission with other methods.

------------------------------------
    Choose best mobile phone

choicefreedom2000, Apr 2, 2008 IP
  18. fcmisc

fcmisc Active Member

Best Answers:
    Does it matter whether or not articles are on the same subject as the site being promoted? My site is an SEO tool. But the only thing I can write lots of articles about is recipes that I cook.

fcmisc, Apr 2, 2008 IP
  19. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am biased towards directory submissions. I provide the submission services and have seen PR boost with right directory submission and a little of social bookmarking.

jitendraag, Apr 2, 2008 IP
  20. atnibnerd

atnibnerd Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe that the best link building tool is article submissions, because you are recieving multiple backlinks. Though directory submissions are good as well, especially with high PR directories.

atnibnerd, Jul 22, 2011 IP