1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CentOS ? cPanel ? Need help/suggestions with a hosting company, operating system, cpa

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by prince718, Jul 20, 2011.

Hello. I have a site that I show pictures on. I will be launching a large advertising campaign, and expect my company to grow at a nice pace, and I would like to switch from Shared Hosting to VPS Cloud hosting. I already had an issue with my shared hosting cutting me off....

Ok. I am looking into these 2 companies VPSLand.com and VPS.net

I have been talking to someone from VPSLand and it seems like the better option-even though I already have shared hosting with VPS.net's sister company.

Now my big thing is, cPanel !!! I have been on shared and only know how to manage with that. I dont have the time or energy to manage a server. So they said for an additional fee I can get cPanel on there, and they said ONLY on their CentOS and CloudLinux setups. And reccomended CentOS.

So my questions are:
    1. Do you or have ever hosted (Cloud VPS)with any of these 2 companies???
    2. If I pay and get cPanel, will my life be as simple as it is with shared hosting?
    3. I am not a computer illiterate. Now, If I DONT get the cPanel, how will I manage all my files?
    4. ...and is it a large learning curve?

prince718, Jul 20, 2011 IP
  2. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi prince718,

I run a web hosting company that only offers cPanel-based solutions, so I'll try to answer your questions:

1) I have not used either of those companies no.

2) cPanel on a VPS runs a little differently. The main difference is that you get access to WHM (Web Host Manager), which is a systems administration panel that lets you create cPanel accounts, packages, install software, and do a bunch of other things. But when you create a cPanel account, it's no different than a shared hosting cpanel account.

3) If you don't get cPanel, then chances are you'll just be getting a basic server with the OS running. So you'll need to install Apache, MySQL, PHP, and a bunch of other stuff manually. If you are not computer-literate like you said, then I would suggest avoiding this as much as possible as it does require some technical expertise and WHM/cPanel makes it about 100x easier.

4) Large learning curve for what? Having a VPS? Not really. You said you've used cPanel already, and if you know how to use it then you've got about 75% of the knowledge you need. The other 25% is learning WHM, which is pretty easy to use.

CloudLinux is something we are just looking at now so I cannot comment on it. We use CentOS for our servers and it works great for running websites. The main advantage of using CloudLinux is that you can set each of your cPanel accounts to be limited on how much RAM/CPU power they can use (great if you are selling web hosting and such, but for what you are doing I don't think you'll need it).

As an alternative option for you, we offer VPS hosting with cPanel/WHM ;)

Christian Little, Jul 21, 2011 IP
    prince718 likes this.
  3. prince718

prince718 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for this detailed response. I cant host with you because my userbase will remain in Newyork City for this particular site. Thank You very much.

prince718, Jul 21, 2011 IP