1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need some help with business startup

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Simba.jr, Jul 17, 2011.

Hello everybody. I'm a new guy here. I decided to join this forum, because I need some answers to my problems. I hope someone will help me. Here is my story.

I started to use internet, when I was 17 years old. At first it was just for play and fun, but then I became a little older, I understood, that I need to to something better, something valuable. My first project was a Red Alert 2 fanpage. It was okay, I formed a community, it was small, but anyways I made something. I always wanted to make money, tried couple of times without any luck. Now I think it was my fault because I gave up fast. After some years of mini-depression I decided to do it again. I started to write a blog.

I read some how to's. In most of them - you need to find your passion. I like to write about things which interests me. For example I started to watch a Sopranos episodes. After some of it. I decided that I will write some articles. I'll analyze seasons. I'll write about characters. I will setup a blog or website about Sopranos. But there is one little problem how to make it profitable? how to moneytize it? I live in Lithuania, our country is small. but there is a lot of empty niches, but you know what? I don't want to be another affiliate slave, for me it looks rubbish. I know a lot people makes a lot of money from it. I don't know I'm in wrong direction. Everybody these days need to find niches which interests people, but I think I rather do things which interests me.

Big dilemma is this. If you choose niche which doesn't make sense, but you like it, then you can't make any money. Sorry for my english, if somebody doesn't understood what I said, I will try explain again. Thanks for help.

P.S Sopranos show is old. There is no hype anymore. It's worth to setup blog anyways? Suggestions?

Simba.jr, Jul 17, 2011 IP
  2. _Nexo_

_Nexo_ Peon

Best Answers:
    There are several ways to start making money and i suggest you buy some of the informative guides that is sold here and read them.
    Also, there are alot of free information on DP on how to make money.
    I can´t really give you a creative hint on where to start.
    Sharecash + Youtube could be a good start if you can find information people really want.
    Use the searchbutton=)

_Nexo_, Jul 17, 2011 IP
  3. Simba.jr

Simba.jr Peon

Best Answers:
    I made some research about sharecash. Thanks for tip, but I can't imagine a person who will fill a surveys. That concept is so retarted. Anyway, thanks.

Simba.jr, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  4. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    First pick out what you like doing and what not. Depending on the topic you should start a blog which is always a first step....
    From there you can move on...whether you make money or not... just keep trying...

olddocks, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  5. mrmeme

mrmeme Peon

Best Answers:
    To write about Sopranos on a blog is maybe not the best idea if you want to make money on it. You can for sure earn some Adcense and Affiliate money but it will not be a lot I think.
    What do you want to invest in your project? It cost money to earn money... It sounds maybe funny but it is truth ;)

Affiliate is a good idea if you only want to invest time and a domain. But then do it well and dont make a rubbish affiliate without anything. Then you dont get succesfull!

mrmeme, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  6. Simba.jr

Simba.jr Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for replying. I don't want to sound like old guy, but affiliate isn't worth anything, I am thinking about long term. For example whats the point to make website which has some redirect links or surveys? For me sopranos looks kind of better, because I write articles and someone will like this. It will be valuable and as you said: you can add ad sense so maybe it will repay for domain, that's all. Anyway thanks for replying, you gave me some tips. Today someone stoled my ipod, and I will start to look for new mp3 player. Guess what there is no mp3 player eshop in my country. Opportunity!

Simba.jr, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  7. mrmeme

mrmeme Peon

Best Answers:
    Affiliate can be good if you do it right! Lets take mobile phones as example. If you write articles, guides and more on your domain then you give the visitors values. And the visitors can both find tips, good offers and buy a phone on your site.
    So think out of the box and forget sites with a redirected link only. It is the old borring and a dead way for affiliate specially after the Panda update ;D

mrmeme, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  8. jhardy2008

jhardy2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    i think you have to do hard work for this.

jhardy2008, Jul 18, 2011 IP
  9. whooget

whooget Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was just like you couple years ago, I tried blogging, get paid to programs, adsense, advertising, but it didn't worked, and just like you I'm too from small country, and I wanted to make some money online but didn't want to become another affiliate marketer, but at the end I realized that only way to make money online fast takes same way like in real world, make the product and create affiliate promotions so it can sell good or become the person who sells other people's products. Because if you give something from value to the people you will get money, I'm not saying that you should stop writing or having a blog, but that is just another way that takes time and at the end you will be just another man that makes cents from his site, so what you should do is to create a blog or a website that sells other products, like php scripts or ebooks or something else and make money when someone buys something, on that way you will build community around you that doesn't need only information but products and with that type of community you will be able to sell stuff again and again, hope I helped :D

whooget, Jul 19, 2011 IP
  10. Simba.jr

Simba.jr Peon

Best Answers:
    So you saying I need to work with affiliates? Anyway thanks you gave me some motivation. After this thread I started to do something. I am planning to try some selling.

Simba.jr, Jul 19, 2011 IP
  11. lalasd

lalasd Peon

Best Answers:
    No offense but a blog is not a business.

If you want to do a blog make sure it is some thing you are passionate about. For example cars. Don't write a blog just on the brand jaguar. They only have 3 cars and not a lot of people are interested in that. Also people are not interested in facts. People are more interested in what your thoughts are.

Lets say you wanted to write a blog about one tv-show. That is bad because only so many people watch it. Maybe you like tvshows and you can write some thing general about a tvshow. Maybe reviews after every new episodes, details about upcoming shows and emotions you had with the show. If you want to succeed in blogging you need to have a personal touch to it.

Also don't just look at your country. Since you are using the interwebs you might as well aim for the world.

Now if you did do a blog on tv shows the best income sources would be amazon affiliate for videos/dvds, targeted affiliates like netflix and off course adsense. You can also make money by posting videos on youtube.

Good Luck

lalasd, Jul 19, 2011 IP
  12. Albert L.

Albert L. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The information on this page is excellent, very inspiring and well worth watching.

Albert L., Jul 20, 2011 IP
  13. whooget

whooget Active Member

Best Answers:
    No offense, but Blog IS a business, but type of blog that sells stuff, and for someone to buy your "stuff" you will need to be an expert in affiliate niche or the one you choose that you think that is right for you, and then as lalasd said put amazon affiliates for dvds.

But first you need to start buy giving something for free or lower price in exchange for their name and email, the affiliates that read this knows that name and email is everything, and to start getting attention from people, because without people you can forget on making money through amazon, youtube and adsense.

Get some php script that people can benefit from and sell it on your site, but for the fair price, as I said to get attention, and belive me when I say that blog is a business.

I have a blog about affiliate marketing, email marketing,niche research that probably every one of you visited, and I'm making around 2-3 000$ just by promoting other peoples product, it is usually people that have trust In me and me expertise. And I will tell you... I didn't made even a penny in first year, yes that's true but now... hard work pays off. Just don't give up, many of my colleagues did, it is tough on net right now you need to stay on top.

Thanks for reading

whooget, Jul 21, 2011 IP
  14. Zara Marie

Zara Marie Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi. There are actually two reasons why people create blogs: 1) to earn money from it and 2) share ideas. I believe you are in the first type based on what I read from your post. The problem is if you want to earn from blog, you should write about what interests most people so you could gain higher traffic and sooner than later, be able to have adsense or any ads running on your posts. If you just want to share your passion which as you said there's no more hype on it, don't expect that you can monetize it. You just need to choose between the two, earn by writing what most people love reading or share your passion. If your passion can create hype, it will be a good start but as you said, nothing on it anymore so I think you should move on.

Zara Marie, Jul 21, 2011 IP
  15. Simba.jr

Simba.jr Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. guys! With each new post, I get more and more motivation.

Simba.jr, Jul 21, 2011 IP
  16. Cubic-Media

Cubic-Media Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Simba.Jr,

You sound really lost, if you feel you could get into any niche, and its actually the writing you enjoy, then why not sell your writing on fiverr or sites like them? If you don want to do that then try affiliate marketing.

A good way to make money with affiliate marketing is to find a product that is due for release in the next couple of months. Spend a couple of £££ on a key word rich domain and start writing about it. Find the info of the product from news sites, and the manufacturers website. Do not monetize it just write interesting things about it. This should give you a good standing in Google once the product is released. Once the product is released go back to your articles etc and put in your affiliate links. You will be supeised how well this works. But you do need to write interesting things and make sure your site is offering the user something they cant get from any site on the web.

Good products for this are: mobile phones, hand held tablets, video games (although commision wil not be big per a sale with video games the sheer number should make up for it.)

Make sure you create a Facebook page too, so that once you write stuff on your blog it automatically posts on there, this will help to drive traffic and give you subscribers.

Just keep going and you will succeed.

Good luck

Daniel

Cubic-Media, Jul 21, 2011 IP
  17. brainstormingin

brainstormingin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You say you have many empty niches in your country. Go for them. Write about tourism in your country. Places to see in your country. Since it is a small country you can cover areas more easily. Give detailed information about hotels or places to stay in your country. Give some valuable information to your readers and you will have targeted audience. If you have a target audience you can sell anything to them. Monetization will happen eventually. May be you can write a travel guide and sell to your audience.

brainstormingin, Jul 22, 2011 IP
  18. tilenko

tilenko Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I started many thing on internet because our country is very under developed when it comes to internet.

tilenko, Jul 22, 2011 IP
  19. Bvandyke

Bvandyke Member

Best Answers:
    Lots of good stuff above!

Offer a service.
    Learn a programming language (tons of free resources these days).
    Then study what's popular in your country and cater to that need.
    Build web apps an scripts that will help people out.

It will take time, sweat, and blood to build a reputation, but it will pay off in the end.

Bvandyke, Jul 22, 2011 IP
  20. domainnamesalez

domainnamesalez Peon

Best Answers:
    Looking into the state of Internet these days, I would suggest that write what you really like. Do not write to just make money. Write for interest and if the content is of good quality, visitors would follow automatically. Once you have visitors and a reputation, you will surely make money out of writing. But if you start writing just to make some quick bucks, you will end up getting paid real cheap and that wont be any fun, would it...

domainnamesalez, Jul 22, 2011 IP