1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

1 Database Accessed By Multiple Websites - Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jennypretty, Jul 16, 2011.

Hello,

I like to use 1 database accessed by multiple websites. But I don't know if this considers duplicate content on search engines.

Example, I have a dating site with one main database. I create a few more dating sites that use the same database with the main one. These new sites share the same profiles and members of the main database. The only difference is the Header, Description, Keywords.

Is it good or bad?

Thanks very much!

jennypretty, Jul 16, 2011 IP
  2. BW1

BW1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not too sure overall but I had 4 websites using the same database which I was hoping Google would recognize as separate entities. Alas they didn't and only one site got recognized. I used different headers, colors etc

BW1, Jul 16, 2011 IP
  3. edge83

edge83 Active Member

Best Answers:
    They would most likely see this as one if there is that much content that is that similar - i'm not 100% sure but if it's a bunch of almost identical profiles, G is definitely smart enough to catch things more subtle than that.

edge83, Jul 16, 2011 IP
  4. Abhishek Kundu

Abhishek Kundu Active Member

Best Answers:
    hi jennypretty,

if you have different header,description and keywords for the other websites then the search engines will not treat them as duplicate content.

if you have alt="" tag in pictures then i will recommend you to change them also as the search engines read the alt text for pictures.

assuming that you are using a shared hosting or vps server it's recommended to keep the load of the server to a medium level else the server / database might crash.
    if you have a high traffic website then you should switch to a dedicated server. :)

i hope that i have managed to answer your question. :)

Abhishek Kundu, Jul 16, 2011 IP
  5. subhamoy

subhamoy Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is obviously bad!

Because some days ago i face same problem. Before use the Data base our both site was in First page in google. But when i use same database in second site all looking different , within a week this site is vanish from google ! then i am mad. Then after Three months strike in my mind and then i stop the database ! and Within a week this site comeback in proper position! For this problem, i am get lot of help from google webmaster forum. you can also join there!

thx
    i

subhamoy, Jul 17, 2011 IP
  6. Avatar Viper

Best Answers:
    that depends, if it is low traffic then it is already to save some money. if the traffic is high then the obvious is to have 1 database for each site.