1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using robots.txt for better search engine placement

Discussion in 'robots.txt' started by jducey1234, Jun 1, 2011.

This happened to me totally by accident, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this. I activated a robot.txt file without knowing it. It was only on for 24 hours, but it was enough to make my site disappear off google. However when I removed it, my site was 15 spots higher in ranking, and it has stayed there for the last week.

I have been working hard to build links etc. but my site hadn't budged. Has anyone else done this to "force" google to shuffle the order?

jducey1234, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  2. manish.chauhan

manish.chauhan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would not say that this is a standard practice to shuffle the positions and I would not recommend anyone to even try this out. The reason your website got bump in the rankings has nothing to do with robots.txt, it is mere coincidence. The only reason your website got better positions is because you had worked hard to build the profiles and results started coming out at the time you removed robots.txt.

manish.chauhan, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  3. jelaine

jelaine Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, Google doesn't randomly change their algorithm. It must really because of your link building. Sometimes links are being backlinked later than when you made them. it even took few weeks or even a month to have links backlinked. So you hard work must paid off.

jelaine, Jun 5, 2011 IP
  4. maverick.jones

maverick.jones Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey i totally agree with you both

maverick.jones, Jun 10, 2011 IP
  5. Manginho

Manginho Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah that would be a stupid bug...

Manginho, Jun 19, 2011 IP
  6. endu202

endu202 Peon

Best Answers:
    But the question,how to make good Robot.txt?? Especially for Boost Seo on Site

endu202, Jul 7, 2011 IP
  7. asmartgoat

asmartgoat Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there really such a science. I just put Index Follow and thats it. Now if you look up luke martinez, i'm the first result. Even when there is a famous basketballer with the same name, I have reclaimed my name :)

asmartgoat, Jul 11, 2011 IP
  8. dir18

dir18 Active Member

Best Answers:

robots.txt is a convention to prevent cooperating web crawlers and other web robots from accessing all or part of a website which is otherwise publicly viewable.

You can't use this for boosting your SEO but you can block google to index unwanted directories,etc.. :)

dir18, Jul 12, 2011 IP
  9. microarm

microarm Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think robots.txt involve in search engine ranking.

microarm, Jul 15, 2011 IP
  10. gpcola

gpcola Peon

Best Answers:
    oh it absolutely is if you want to ensure you don't hit duplicate content penalties and such!

gpcola, Jul 24, 2011 IP
  11. manish.chauhan

manish.chauhan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just to make it clear to you that robots.txt has nothing to do directly with the rankings of your websites. As dir18 said, it is just set of instructions that let crawlers know what sections of a website they should follow and what to avoid. To improve, you should rather focus on the backlinks.

manish.chauhan, Aug 1, 2011 IP