1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Developing NEW Domain - How to not get indexed YET

Discussion in 'Google' started by gmantakis, Oct 24, 2006.

Hi to all,

I am in the developing process of a new domain of mine but i dont want that Google or any other Search Engine Indexes my site YET. If i password protect my ROOT folder via .HTACCESS can i prevent that my unfinished site gets indexed? So every time someone goes to www(.)mysite(.)com he will need to enter a password to see the actual site.

Is it a good idea to password protect the root folder and what other options do i have to prevent my site to get indexed? I want to give my site free to indexing if it is finished and has some content in it.

Thanks in advance

George

gmantakis, Oct 24, 2006 IP
  2. tschrock

tschrock Peon

Best Answers:
    Couldn't you just use robots.txt to disallow Google's bot?

tschrock, Oct 24, 2006 IP
  3. toby

toby Notable Member

Best Answers:
    do not tell anyone about your site or get link shown any where. well this will help to prevent indexing for like 1 or 2 days.. coz i think google will index your site via those whois site etc. still.

toby, Oct 24, 2006 IP
  4. gmantakis

gmantakis Member

Best Answers:
    Yes but i think if i password protect the root of the domain then a spider cant index the site... means that my unfinished domain will not show up in results. This is what i want to prevent. i dont want that my unifinished site shows up on Google.

Or do i get penalized form Google if i password protect the Root?

Thanks

5. gmantakis

gmantakis Member

Best Answers:
    Because there are also Search Engine out there that dont look at robots.txt . I want to disaalow ALL Search Engines and i think the only way is to passowrd protect... Or am i wrong?

Thanks

George

6. rehash

rehash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    or work in a /temp folder and in your documentroot folder just put an empty index.html

or maybe you should allow googlebot to see unfinished the page.. maybe it will appreciate your constant changes and improvements :p

rehash, Oct 24, 2006 IP
  7. ROAR

ROAR Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I would worry about it. Unless you are selling sdkjhfdsfuhdisuhgrefdbfk or any other rediculously obscure thing---you arent going to be getting any traffic-ergo no worries.

ROAR, Oct 27, 2006 IP
    Mia likes this.