1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Site Just Got Hacked

Discussion in 'Security' started by duzins, Oct 26, 2006.

Any suggestions? Why was my 4 day old site hacked? I'm a little perplexed as I bought the domain last week (and I looked in the way back machine to see if it was an old site and it wasn't).

The domain: celebritypicturesandnews.com

Dangit, now they're all down.

Sleepyblogger.com
    JamesTippins.com
    Problogwriters.com
    and about 15 others. Ugh.

I'm off to cry and curse, I guess.

duzins, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  2. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you change the password your host originally gave you?

NetMidWest, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  3. Jelf

Jelf Banned

Best Answers:
    wow thanks! I gotta remember to back mine up again

Jelf, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  4. duzins

duzins Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I changed my password. It's an odd letter/number combo, but the best password won't protect you from user error (my negligence at install).

My problem was at problogwriters.com (smf/joomla) and registerglobals was ON and it should have been off. Apparently while that's not a wide open door, it's a crack that good hackers (?) can easily exploit.

I am wondering how they even found my site though? It's only been up a few weeks and doesn't even quite have a hundred uniques a day yet. Seems like an awfully small fish to attack?

Anyway, it's up now and I'm in the middle of beefing up the security even more (registerglobals is fixed now). Any ideas on why i might have been targeted?

duzins, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  5. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    celebritypicturesandnews.com wasn't coming up in Google, but I did not check Yahoo or MSN...
    Did you post the url or get a link from somewhere not too long before this happened? Any advertising?

NetMidWest, Oct 26, 2006 IP
    jaree likes this.
  6. TasteOfPower

TasteOfPower Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry to hear that. You can host ur sites w/me next time.

TasteOfPower, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  7. jaree

jaree Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why are sites being hacked more in these days. Is there some internet underworld who is doing all that. I heared about DNF and few others too and now this one. It sucks and sucks big time if you have huge site like DNF :(

jaree, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  8. saadahmed007

saadahmed007 Admínistratör

Best Answers:
    Register_globals is a big security issue i turned it on my server and got hacked...better is to enable it on site only through .httacess file! :)
    IF you have backups then restore them or email your host..
    Edit:Always, use secure password like 39#moun$50 :)
    Saad :)

saadahmed007, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  9. nikg

nikg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe you had a vulnerable component installed. Tha is the main cause of a Joomla CMS being hacked lately. Also make sure that you have all dir persmission set to 755. Change them only when you want to install something and then apply 755 again.

Most people leave the dir permissions to 777 as it is required for install purposes and that's a big mistake.

nikg, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  10. WoodiE55

WoodiE55 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A site is only as secure as you make it!

WoodiE55, Oct 27, 2006 IP
  11. Kmurray

Kmurray Guest

Best Answers:
    Theres alot of script kiddies these days, probably had nothing better to do and thats what happens these days!

Kmurray, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  12. saadahmed007

saadahmed007 Admínistratör

Best Answers:
    But actually my site got hacked few days ago but the hackers were nOOb it was vbulletin exploit that was redirecting my forums to thier site they have posted something in my forums with that code...I am now using vb latest version..I think you should apply all security patches etc to be on safe side.
    Saad

saadahmed007, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  13. duzins

duzins Peon

Best Answers:
    All is well now. I am hoping it is more secure with the register globals turned to off. Luckily my host is a good one and does nightly backups, so worst case scenario would be I'd lose a day's worth of forum and blog posts. No biggie.

My main question is, why did I even get the attention? My sites are all pretty small (the biggest one I have is sleepyblogger and it's really only getting about 500-ish uniques a day). Most of the others are relatively small 50-200 uniques per day).

It appears they hacked the problogwriter's forum and it's about 50-100 uniques per day. Seems kinda bizarre to attract attn with so little traffic...

duzins, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  14. templates

templates Notable Member

Best Answers:
    hmm i am wondering about this myself nowadays as i keep hearing about sites/forums and the such being hacked.Do ppl have nothing better to do?

templates, Oct 29, 2006 IP
  15. duzins

duzins Peon

Best Answers:
    It's really frustrating, because I lost adsense for an entire 3 hour block of time and lost about 4 hours of time I could have spent writing or doing something constructive. Plus, now I'm skittish...

duzins, Oct 30, 2006 IP
  16. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that exactly is the reason and key
    newbies have no idea and no secure sites

hackers are NOT interested in your content
    but to SETUP either a phishing site or a spam mail delivery using your mail services

on new sites newbies have zero or little real knowledge and hence new sites are easy to enter and use

btw
    i had hackers knocking at my door after 1-2 days of use of new server before even site was up and NS was poiting to new server

hackers may search JUST fo rbrand new sites partially configured and left open overnight ...

losig 3 hrs

thats HUGE loss and you very obviously have NOT at all understood the real work of learning to run a securely configured site

after my hackers visit early this year I spent a full 2+ weeks in learning and securing my security issues

2 weeks vs 3 hrs ...
    i guess you have some 13+ days ahead of you ..

good luck

hans, Nov 8, 2006 IP
  17. duzins

duzins Peon

Best Answers:
    I do understand how to set up a secure site, I was lazy and I've learned my lesson. I have a great host and because of our backups I lost NO data. What is the point of your post?

For your information, there was no phishing site set up. And, I didn't need 2 weeks to understand that I hadn't turned reg globals to off. Duh.

You should take 13 days to learn some manners.

duzins, Nov 8, 2006 IP