1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

HTML 1.0 cs HTML 4.0

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by martinvidic, Jun 20, 2011.

Hi Everybody.

Can anybody give me a reason why or why not to change from XHTML 1.0 Transitional to XHTML 4.0 or anything else? If it just makes my site 0.000001 miliseconds faster, I care :)

THANX

martinvidic, Jun 20, 2011 IP
  2. xira

xira Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is no reason to change from XHTML1.0 to HTML4.0. XHTML is easier for programmers to use especially if the code is being used in a CMS or other programming method, only because is is simpler and better structured. HTML (all versions) allow for open ended tags like <br> where as XHTML does not. The only consideration you should be making about changing HTML4.0 to another version is if you want to start using HTML5.0. It hasn't been fully developed yet, but IE9.0, FF and Chrome already support a large number of the tags. There are scripts that enable IE7&8 to read HTML5.0. Personally I am waiting on 5.0 for another year, because all the browsers are backwards compatible anyway. Unless you are making a state of the art website which requires HTML5.0's new tags (video, music, special JS animations, etc.) ... I wouldn't bother?

xira, Jun 20, 2011 IP
  3. sanchyclub

sanchyclub Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks to @xira for these kinds of honest opinion. I need to include a line with your post and that is- XHTML 1.0 is not only cross browser supported and simpler it's also support mobile browsers and that is a huge facility for a web developer like you and me!

@martinvidic If you need your site more faster then you have to care about your code. You should search article to know how to make a site faster, it's not depending on any programming language. It's all about fresh and clean code.

sanchyclub, Jun 24, 2011 IP
  4. martinvidic

martinvidic Guest

Best Answers:
    OK.

My site is already xhtml 1.0T, so u r saying there is no point in changing that.
    Im actually validating every page with http://validator.w3.org/ - and that's where I saw all these other options.
    That's exactly what i was thinking. But i wasn't sure if html 4 would have been a step back or a step forward.

So in conclusion... I didnt change anything but simplified my xhtml1.0 code and my stylesheet a little.
    Regards
    M.

martinvidic, Jun 24, 2011 IP
  5. neil.johnson

neil.johnson Guest

Best Answers:
    XHTML 1.0 is older than HTML 5. It cannot use any new vocabulary. Indeed, it's main selling point was that it uses exactly the same vocabulary as HTMl 4.01.

There will be no XHTML 1.2 - most probably. And it is not needed. XHTML 5 is the XML serialization of HTML 5. Identical vocabulary, different parsing rules.

HTML has never been treated as true SGML in browsers. No browser has ever implemented an SGML-compliant parser. HTML 5 will make this fact into a rule and the HTML serialization will follow todays de facto standard. One could perhaps say that it is "SGML-ish".

As it has been stated, the DTD serves exactly one purpose IN BROWSERS, and that is to distinguish between standards compliance mode and quirks mode. Thus it affects only styling and scripting. If you are using frames on a page with astrict doctype, they will render just fine. As will <embed> and even <marquee> - even though the latter is an abomination and the former not in any current standard. It is part of HTML 5, though.

neil.johnson, Jun 25, 2011 IP
  6. BRUm

BRUm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just use HTML 5. The doctype is so much easier:

<!DOCTYPE HTML>

Code (markup):
    I never use XML 'cause I hate the ugly and unnecessary end </tags>.

BRUm, Jun 25, 2011 IP