1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to post a site in "External Links" of Wikipedia w/o spamming

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by pjk, Oct 25, 2006.

Hello,
    If I have a useful site to add to a niche on Wiki, how do I add it without being considered spam? Do I just find the page, and click edit this page, and add the link, or how do I go about that? Thanks
    Patrick

pjk, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  2. bigmack

bigmack Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, that's pretty much the idea... thing is, most times it will be removed.. no matter how "unspammy" you think the link is.. perhaps removing any ads you may have on the page will give it a better chance of staying up there.

It's probably a better bet to create a wikipage on a topic you know about and add your link to that.

bigmack, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  3. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Active Member

Best Answers:
    If the site you have is actually useful, and on topic, then you will probably be ok.

You might want to consider posting the link through a proxy, as wikipedia logs your IP.

BurgerKing, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  4. AnaB

AnaB Peon

Best Answers:
    One other way is the talk page...suggest the site to others..if its good, others may add it up for you. (others with a reputable record etc)

AnaB, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  5. Renegade

Renegade Peon

Best Answers:
    Depending on what you have, you may be able to add an entire page, or several pages for your product/service/product line and not be considered spam.

The key is always relevance and whether or not it is genuinely informative. Adding a link from a page dedicated to some competing product (or whatever) is not likely going to stay.

Renegade, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  6. Lynn Quario

Lynn Quario Guest

Best Answers:
    I posted a link on Wiki a couple of years ago with my first site it was a learning site. They took the link down but there was another link from another website that was nothing but a sales site where they left the link up.
    The only thing I could see was the site had been up for years.

I don't know if that makes a difference or not...:confused:

Lynn

Lynn Quario, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  7. flip

flip Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't remember where I read this, but one blog advises that if you're going to do this, drill far down. In other words, instead of putting the link on the "Mortgage" page you should bury it deeper in some sub-sub set of Mortgage.

I've put links on Wiki that I thought were authoritative...or at least more authoritative than all the other links there...and did it in good conscience. None have disappeared--yet.

flip, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  8. pjk

pjk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I managed to get a couple links on, they bring me 10-20 visitors a day. It is pretty tough to get on there though...

pjk, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  9. lucab

lucab Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm... I suppose the value of having the link there would depend on the popularity of the Wikipedia topic. Interesting idea.

lucab, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  10. pjk

pjk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, if you can get a link on a featured article, my guess would be 50-100 uniques a day on average, depending on how many links are already there.

pjk, Nov 19, 2006 IP