1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alternatives to Adsense/Adbrite for niche comic book website

Discussion in 'Affiliate Programs' started by distractedone, Jun 19, 2011.

Hi there,

I run a pretty niche comics site for an American comic book character, and it gets about 40,000+ unique visitors/month and about 100,000+ pageviews/month. I'd say that's pretty good for the type of character.

I've tried Adsense, and their ads seem to be the most relevant, as I've gotten ads about video games and comics, but Adbrite's ad are a bit irrelevant and shows things from PiperLime and just...not comic-related things.

I feel Adsense may not be for me since their payout is $100, and I don't know if I can make that much...or could I?

So, are there any niche advertisements? I've heard of CPMStar but have heard bad things about them, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Let me know!

PS: I am wondering how the CPM and CTR works...say, I have two banner ads on the same page - do I get paid for both banner ads via CPM or just one? Say, I have one banner ad and then a link box...I'd get paid for the CTR for the link and the CPM for the banner...but what if someone clicks on the banner? Would I get paid both CPM and CTR?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
    distractedone, Jun 19, 2011 IP
  2. distractedone

distractedone Peon

Best Answers:
    Are they actual Pop Up ads and what do these look like? What type of ads do they display?

3. distractedone

distractedone Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, thanks anyway, man. Popup ads are annoying...don't really wanna annoy my visitors with that.

4. mtmjohn

mtmjohn Peon

Best Answers:
    Google adsense is the best program out for webmasters. They pay very well.

With 40k+ unique visitors per month, i believe you can easily make more than $100 per month (place your ad above the bold).

mtmjohn, Jun 19, 2011 IP
  5. distractedone

distractedone Peon

Best Answers:
    Above the bold? I have a banner ad - well - at the header where the banner ads usually go. I have a Related Links page right after the Article post. It is a very popular, reputable site, and albeit the users are internet savvy and are probably not prone to clicking banner ads though. I also have a banner ad below the comments.

This $100/month you say -- are you estimating based on PPM or PPC or both?

I just started Adsense yesterday and had only made 15 cents with a %.13 CTR...lol...a little depressing, but I hope it gets better.

Now, I noticed with the Skyscraper at the sidebar, I already got 68 clicks on the first few days of posting it - mind you, the skyscraper ad is an Amazon Affiliates link with a product VERY relevant to the site. I just wish the Adsense could be MORE relevant to the website and, specifically, comics. Too bad Amazon Affiliates don't do pay-per-click.

6. supersaiyantoto

supersaiyantoto Member

Best Answers:
    Above the FOLD.. is that what you mean??? then you are right.. The top portion of the page, just below the page header, is a good spot for Google Ads placement. With the number of visitors "distractedone" has, he won't have problem in getting click thru.. but this will also depend on the keywords that brought traffic to his site.

supersaiyantoto, Jun 19, 2011 IP
  7. distractedone

distractedone Peon

Best Answers:
    She. :) The keywords are always relevant to the site, so anything comics specific to the character, basically.

8. golfpro1

golfpro1 Peon

Best Answers:
    First off 40,000 uniques a month is fantastic, and you should experiment with different ad formats with Adsense, I am certain it will pay off eventually

golfpro1, Jun 19, 2011 IP
  9. distractedone

distractedone Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I made 68 cents today...much better than the 15 cents! I agree that a lot of this will be experimenting until I find the right combination of things!

10. mtmjohn

mtmjohn Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, "Above the FOLD". Sorry i made a spelling mistake ;)

mtmjohn, Jun 20, 2011 IP
  11. distractedone

distractedone Peon

Best Answers:
    Is there a chart for the value of keywords? The keywords people get to to my site are through pop culture, comics, and a fictional character...

Also, my unique visitors are around 35,000 unique this month to be exact. At one point, I had 40,000+ visitors. I still get 100k+ pageviews/month though.

It looks like the top level banner ad is the one that is giving me clicks - granted I've only had 2 or 3 clicks today. The ad links don't do much...the bottom ad so far has given me like 2 cents. lol.

distractedone, Jun 20, 2011 IP
  12. distractedone

distractedone Peon

Best Answers:
    I've made $2.15 so far today, compared to 15 cents the first day and 68 cents the second day. Looking good so far, even though I'm pretty sure I'd make more money posing as a beggar on the streets....

I'm thinking about knocking out the ad links...they aren't much help.

distractedone, Jun 20, 2011 IP
  13. ameerulislam10

ameerulislam10 Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't say much about your particular niche. But I had very bad experience with Adbrite..

ameerulislam10, Jun 20, 2011 IP