1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Private Registration and ownership of a domain

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by TheFreshMaker, Jun 16, 2011.

Hi there folks,

I am thinking about buying 6 domains at GoDaddy. Because I want to buy 6 domains, GoDaddy is offering me free private registration. I like the idea of not being visible at the WHOIS, but I don't like the idea of not being the owner of the domain anymore.

Will I become the legal owner of the domain once I decide not to renew the private registration after one year, or will I never be able to get the legal rights to the domain?

I am somewhat new to getting a domain name, so sorry if these are very basic and easy to solve questions.

Thanks in advance and apologies for any English mistakes!

TheFreshMaker, Jun 16, 2011 IP
  2. CannabisSEO

CannabisSEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You will always be the legal owner and own the legal rights to any domain you register whether you have privacy protection or not. At my registrar, Economical Domains we give free privacy protection for the life of any domain registered, and you can turn it on or off as you like. The private registration is mainly to block your email address from potential spammers but has other benefits as well. Either way, you are the legal owner of any domain you register, as long as it it not a trademarked term or domain name, whether you have privacy protection enabled or not.

CannabisSEO, Jun 16, 2011 IP
    China_girl likes this.
  3. TheFreshMaker

TheFreshMaker Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info.

I have been reading on various sites that the company providing the private registration service is the legal owner of the domain, hence why I thought this was the case. If I understand correctly it is not the case?

Thank you.

TheFreshMaker, Jun 16, 2011 IP
  4. CannabisSEO

CannabisSEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have never heard of that before, but I don't know the case with GoDaddy and who they use. In the case of our registration business, the privacy services only hides your contact and registration details for the domain, but the ownership and control lies completely with the person who registers it. They just provide the service of keeping your personal information private and not letting it out all over the net.

CannabisSEO, Jun 16, 2011 IP
  5. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just being maybe a little nitpicky, but technically Economical Domains isn't a registrar but
    a reseller for one. That doesn't necessarily mean they can't be relied on, though that's a
    test of time.

To the OP: jordan is nonetheless correct you're still the "legal owner" of the domain name
    even if using the registrar's privacy. In fact, check your registrar's agreement about that
    service itself.

One catch is the registrar might turn over your actual details should an administrative or
    legal dispute arise, especially if served with "official papers" like a court order or notice
    for a Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) filing.

Dave Zan, Jun 16, 2011 IP
    China_girl likes this.
  6. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well obviously you will be the lone registrar of your domain and no one can change it, even if you opt to take that privacy or not. It is better to have the privacy on, only because there are lot of spammers out there who are looking out for free email addresses over the net ;)

China_girl, Jun 17, 2011 IP
  7. TheFreshMaker

TheFreshMaker Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much for all the information!

TheFreshMaker, Jun 17, 2011 IP