1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Proof that you don't need flash!

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by hobbeseo, Jun 2, 2011.

The game that's in my signature is proof that you can make a dynamic graphically animated site without needing to use flash! Yay for iphone users!

hobbeseo, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  2. html2cms

html2cms Peon

Best Answers:
    Very true. Flash is flashy (excuse the pun) but you can create flashy sites without Flash whilst allowing it to be accessible by those without Flash (i.e. iPhone users) and without needing to 'Upgrade to the latest Flash player'. Ugh.

html2cms, Jun 4, 2011 IP
  3. hobbeseo

hobbeseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Preciesly :cool:

hobbeseo, Jun 4, 2011 IP
  4. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ya who needs YouTube :rolleyes:

ApocalypseXL, Jun 5, 2011 IP
  5. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    YouTube had an HTML5 player out a while back. I agree that Fl;ash is not necessary, but I'm not on the Flash-hate or kill Flash bandwagon. Why would I be? I know Flash, and that's how I make my bit of money.

ViolentAJ, Jun 5, 2011 IP
  6. webdesignbarrie

webdesignbarrie Peon

Best Answers:
    with jQuery, flash is no longer needed for many website animations, so i agree with the original post fully. however, jQuery, as advanced as it is, is nothing compared to AS3, and for that reason I think that apple and blackberry are really slowing continued tech productivity by not supporting flash (not referring to mac computers, obviously). flash is an essential technology.

webdesignbarrie, Jun 9, 2011 IP
  7. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Nor is jquery. You don't need jquery to do the same thing because jquery is javascript.
    AS3 is for controlling Flash. jQuery is just javascript.
    I have been in this business for 7 years and my business does a high dollar amount every year. We have NEVER used flash for ANYTHING. Flash is not an "essential technology".

drhowarddrfine, Jun 10, 2011 IP
  8. webdesignbarrie

webdesignbarrie Peon

Best Answers:
    well, you don't have to agree, but the proof is in the pudding. if anyone disables flash for even one day of normal browser use, it would be like going through the day with one eye - unable to see virtually all videos, not only youtube, but as almost every online video today is in flash, along with the swf objects used to embed fonts, online games, or custom applications. if you don't agree that video is essential for the web, then I can both understand why you can say that flash isn't essential technology, as well as understand why our viewpoints are completely different. most people however, would say that the need for video, along with the ubiquitous use of flash throughout the web, makes flash essential.

not sure what your jquery comment was about... jquery is used as a standard today for animations. I'm not sure what you're using for animations, but it sounds like your dealing with either strictly server-side non-animated sites. if you care to shed some light on what you use for animation, if it's not jquery or flash, I'd be curious to know.

webdesignbarrie, Jun 10, 2011 IP
  9. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Most web sites you visit don't use video. YouTube has non-flash versions of many videos and is converting many of them to HTML5 video.
    None of those require flash and can be done with HTML5.
    Who said that? Not me! I said Flash is not essential and most of the same things can be done without it including video.
    Flash is almost always used for ads, thus the use of add-ons for turning flash off.
    jQuery is used for animations...period. You can do the same thing without jQuery cause jQuery is just a javascript library.
    Animations aren't needed for most sites. It's only pizazz.
    We use javascript. Sometimes we find a feature that we like that uses jQuery and we'll implement that if we have to but then we write our own javascript code to eliminate jQuery use.

10. webdesignbarrie

webdesignbarrie Peon

Best Answers:
    you lost me right there. i will politely disagree and leave it there.

webdesignbarrie, Jun 10, 2011 IP
  11. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Good. We don't need anymore amateur responses. Anyone who thinks animation is a necessity should find another line of work.

12. mrfenix

mrfenix Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    To be honest, I am a flash fan. The fact is, flash may not be essential for web but it won't be going a way anytime soon (or anytime at all). I'm a flash dev and I have used it on commercial animations for Television and Games for the past 5 or 6 years.

As jquery, the first time I implemented jquery in my web design, I fell in love. Jquery is javascript. But it saves you countless lines of code of JS when you use jquery. Flash has its place online and jquery has its place.

I wonder what would have happened if Apple did decide to support flash on the iPhone and iPad?

mrfenix, Jun 11, 2011 IP
  13. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    It saves YOU lines of code but jquery itself is a weighty add on compared to anything you could write yourself.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 11, 2011 IP
  14. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My sentiments exactly. I do need to start learning some of these other technologies though to diversify my abilities. Some of them can even communicate with Flash to make some pretty cool things.

ViolentAJ, Jun 11, 2011 IP