1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google algorithm

Discussion in 'Google' started by BuddhaBrilliant, May 3, 2005.

Do any of you guys study the google agorith when working out your strategy?

If so, what conclusions have you come to?

BuddhaBrilliant, May 3, 2005 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I've read most appropriate white papers and other articles researching the many variables involved.

#1 conclusion: Build quality content and the rest follows almost automatically.

T0PS3O, May 3, 2005 IP
  3. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    I just copy TOPS ;)

Design Agent, May 3, 2005 IP
  4. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    Seriously, TOPS is correct...as per usual (bum)!

I've been adding content like a madman lately to some older sites. And my SERP positions have been climbing steadily. I try to add about 5-10 pages /week.

Crazy_Rob, May 3, 2005 IP
  5. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:

...no mention of links - hmmmm :confused:

mcdar, May 3, 2005 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Because they will almost come automatically. :) A quality website has the potential to grow useful IBLs faster naturally than anyone can artificially (buying/swapping/other means).

But yes, they are the #1 factor when it comes to ranking on Google once out of the sand pit.

T0PS3O, May 3, 2005 IP
  7. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Perhaps that is true of information type sites, but it is not the case if you have a retail type site.

mcdar, May 3, 2005 IP
    Design Agent likes this.
  8. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    McDar is right by the way. But even a retail site needs good content to do well. A combination of both is useful.

Didn't you know links were a secret ;)

Design Agent, May 3, 2005 IP
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I run 5 retail sites and 4 of them (5th is only new) have more natural IBLs than from my linking efforts. And they rank pretty well. I use the Co-op at times in addition to push certain phrases.

I highly doubt that a dozen directory entries equal the value of a true recommendation from a page with just one or two OBLs.

The OP asked a way too general question and yes, I answered with a way over-generalized answer. But in real short, all the above are my quick conclusions.

It's impossible to address 'the Google Algorithm' in posts of the magnitude displayed above.

T0PS3O, May 3, 2005 IP
  10. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Links are the foundation of the internet. Every search engine relies on links.

You can quite literally have the best website in the world but never get good placement on any of the major search engines, with out links.

Caryl

mcdar, May 3, 2005 IP
  11. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I would also add that all SEO's are taking the Algo into consideration even if they have no idea what it is. Anytime you do something and your site moves up (or down for that matter) you are figuring out the Algo in relation to your site.

I constantly tweak my titles and on site as well as my anchor text based on what I have found works for me.

T0PS is right though that it is a VERY broad question and a difficult one to even address with any type of clarity

yfs1, May 3, 2005 IP
  12. Clearwater Florida

Clearwater Florida Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont know about other types of sites, but I do study sites as it relates to google and real estate. What I have found which may be common knowledge is that the age of the site and its links are the two most important factors I can see in relation to google and its algo for real estate sites.

One other note of interest. I have a new site that was indexed by google in less than a week. I have no high PR sites pointing to it and the only resources I have pointed to it is from blogger. Maybe it was just luck cause this is the only site I have done this with but I was surprised when it was indexed in that short a period.

Clearwater Florida, May 3, 2005 IP
  13. BuddhaBrilliant

BuddhaBrilliant Peon

Best Answers:
    Cheers guys. I really appreciate all that info.

By the way, does anyone use the future prediction tool at rustybrick?

I've typed in some of my URL's on my BuddhaBrilliant site and it's giving me a PR jump from PR4 to PR10. Surely this can't be true?

Even the BBC home page only manages a 9?

BuddhaBrilliant, May 3, 2005 IP
  14. newsman007

newsman007 Peon

Best Answers:
    i only see a pr of 4.as many of the post have said for google, links are the most important item in getting to page 1 for all key words.

newsman007, May 3, 2005 IP
  15. lingeriediva

lingeriediva Peon

Best Answers:
    What I have been finding is that once you are out of the sandbox links matter - a lot.

The PR of the linker matters and so does the actual server the link is from. Because I am working on a blog I get a lot of links from other blogs...However, links from non-Blogspotblogs seem to have really helped page rank...

But, that said, keeping quality content is vital. Frequent updates help too. Plus, mentioning a celebrity by name does not seem to hurt...

lingeriediva, May 3, 2005 IP
  16. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Most likely this is a copy of Rusty Bricks Tool which would mean it was just for fun. (.ie Its not true)

I had a few sites that were showing a Prediction from 4 to 10 for several months but went to a 5 in the last update ;)

yfs1, May 4, 2005 IP
  17. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Data is Information,
    Information is Knowledge,
    Knowledge is Power,
    but none of the above...
    ...is action.

I stay as up to date with info on the google algo as possible, but find I'm my own worst enemy.

Given what I know now, my sites are well overdue for a page by page review and page by page link building campaign.

I know the stuff, I've just got to go and re-visit my past work and implement the new knowledge.

And for those who say great content attracts links - unless you are doing enough other things right in the first place to be found by anyone in the first place... noone is going to read your wonderful content and want to link to it.

My tip for the day on google is, get away from your homepage and focus on the internal pages... adding new content, getting links to them, optimizing them properly etc.

Dominic, May 4, 2005 IP
  18. sevandesigns

sevandesigns Guest

Best Answers:
    Nice information.

sevandesigns, Mar 17, 2011 IP
  19. pradiprg

pradiprg Active Member

Best Answers:
    Discussion seems to move around the central theme of backlinks or links. I am wondering why so much importance to links ? Why the number of pages, and quality of content on its own should not get any ranking? Google needs to think of these lines also.

pradiprg, Mar 18, 2011 IP