1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does DMOZ still matter?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by طراحی وب سایت, May 23, 2011.

1. RamCity

RamCity Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for this nice sharing. To be honest, I was too in confusion with regards of ranking and dmoz listing. Your post cleared my confusion.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
    RamCity, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  2. Netizenx

Netizenx Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Typical smug DMOZ editor reply.

Forget DMOZ. May they go the way of the dinosaur. They certainly deserve it more than the dinosaur. They are more like the dodo bird of the internet.

Netizenx, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  3. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Wishful thinking.Why do you think p[eople come on here and get upset and bothered because they can't get a site listed, why do you waste your time on something that is dead and gone, like the Parrot Sketch from Monty Python.

I would be happy if people would believe you, then I could get on with my hobby without people like you complaining and whining and telling us we are dead. I collect and collate sites for MY OWN PLEASURE and as MY HOBBY. I hope that the whole collection is useful to people who want to use collated material to search the internet, but I don't mind, like my stamp collection I collect the stamps of the countries I like, I do it when I want to do and I enjoy doing it, that is why DMOZ exists. The fact that you and other site owners don't like that or would prefer DMOZ to be another animal, one they could buy their way in is irrelevant because it is what it is, it is what is was created to be and it aint gonna change whatever you think or don't think about it. Now go and spend your spare time doing something useful.

Anonymously, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The same could be said for yourself I reckon...

The same could be said for yourself I reckon...

Though, i do agree that the ODP is NOT dead, but, erm, saying that it wont change is a bit naive isn't it? They are up grading to 2.0 at the moment correct? Who is to say they won't be charging for the service in the near future, or making other changes that you'll not like.

And it's not just the site owners complaining ya know...

Qryztufre, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  5. Spawned

Spawned Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ does not matter any longer. however, i hear it still helps to be listed. It may actually improve your ranking a small amount but nothing drastic. Does not hurt to submit your site or re-submit if it has been several months to a year or longer since last submission. I have submitted a couple of my sites after about 2 years since the last submission. Keeping fingers crossed!

Spawned, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  6. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You sure about that?

1, Re-suggesting a website is against our T&C.

2, A re-suggestion will overwrite any earlier suggestion, thus putting it back at the bottom of a date sorted pool awaiting evaluation. (Not all editors date sort the pool, but quite a few do.)

jimnoble, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  7. ECNS

ECNS Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ as with any other site that has been around for a long time and established a presence on the web is going to have a certain amount of trust and domain authority which will help with rankings. With this said their are plenty of other sites with the same or even more authority. I think it is good to be listed in regards to online presence, but I wouldnt think that getting a link from their is going to boost your ranking significantly.

If you are looking purely to improve your serp then you would be better concentrating on generating unique quality on-site content then sharing it through social networking.

I applied some time ago for my army surplus site and never heard or saw anything, even though my site is far better than many they have listed, so I really wounded worry to much over it and just concentrate on making your site the best you can.

ECNS, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  8. RamCity

RamCity Peon

Best Answers:
    I wonder about the back end of dmoz which can be viewed by editors only. Sort by date, sort by alphabates, sort by urls.... :)

RamCity, Jun 4, 2011 IP
  9. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Webmasters are still wasting their time with DMOZ???

Haha.

I'm optimizing for AltaVista myself. [/joke]

helleborine, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  10. TheMissingLink007

TheMissingLink007 Peon

Best Answers:
    i think its sill important part of seo

TheMissingLink007, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  11. Azunga

Azunga Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd love to get in DMOZ and I know of a few examples of sites that have made it in and gotten great rankings for some competitive terms. I would say go for a listing but don't bank on it. It does get aggregated to other sources ie. Google Directory, and according to DMOZ, 109 other sites, which helps as well.

If anyone has any other suggestions on directories that even rank close to DMOZ then I'd love to hear them.

Azunga, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  12. btks

btks Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, DMOZ is basically a submit and check several months later kind of game. I've had numerous site gets approved and listed, while others have not been. I don't understand why, unfortunately. AND Yes, DMOZ still matters. It's a Google-Trusted Directory.

btks, Jun 6, 2011 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Which is why they removed their recommendation to submit there, and sometimes go a year or more before updating their ODP clone.

Qryztufre, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  14. Azunga

Azunga Peon

Best Answers:
    They removed their recommendation to post to DMOZ? On the front page of the Google Directory (which just aggregates from DMOZ) it still says "submit a site" which is just a link to DMOZ. I would assume they would remove that link if they didn't recommend submitting there.

Azunga, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  15. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Our T&C require that downstream data users have that link.

jimnoble, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    that has to be there in order for them to use the directory (as Jim kindly pointed out). They removed the recommendation from their help files.

Qryztufre, Jun 8, 2011 IP
  17. xkof

xkof Member

Best Answers:
    my web is flashgamesbase.com ,I submitted to DMOZ three months ago ,but also excepted....how....

xkof, Jun 8, 2011 IP
  18. Al-Hazmi10

Al-Hazmi10 Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't really matter if your site hasn't been listed in DMOZ directory, as long as you have good niche and your site doesn't look like spam. However, it is worth noting that Google still consider DMOZ in their ranking factors nowadays. If you look at many website checker and pagerank checker, being listed in DMOZ is one of their criteria.

Al-Hazmi10, Jun 12, 2011 IP
  19. Spawned

Spawned Member

Best Answers:
    Very valid and true!

Spawned, Jun 14, 2011 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Is there any proof of this? Yeah, yeah, a lot of sites still add it to their criteria, but do any of the actual search engines (Alexa aside)? Google certainly used to, that is a fact, but now they go up to a year or more before they bother to update their clone, and then they removed the suggestion to submit to directories like Yahoo & Dmoz within their help files. If they do consider it a factor, that factor is a LOT smaller then it used to be. Besides, many sites outrank DMOZ listed sites these days... why? Because who honestly checks directories these days. Google certainly knows about the only folks that really use them are directory owners & editors... after that, many don't even know what a directory is.

Qryztufre, Jun 14, 2011 IP