1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Use old or new domain name?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Dearly, Jun 1, 2011.

I'm a photographer and I changed the name of my business 15 months ago. In doing that I bought a new domain name. I've been using that new domain and am ranking on page 2 of the search results for my keyword, but I seem to be stuck there.

I recently went back and checked PR. My current site has a PR 0, and my old photography site is a PR 3. The old site is still ranking well in search results in the market I was in, and since I travel back frequently I've just left it alone and enjoy booking a few gigs there when I visit.

I don't want to go back to the old photography name. I've been featured on several blogs recently with the new one, and made some connections with it. But, I'm wondering if it would be smart for me to switch the content of my new site back to the old domain, but still use the new name? Or is that a horrible idea?

Dearly, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  2. Aurele

Aurele Member

Best Answers:
    The PR won't do everything. If you have two brand you better keep them separated in my opinion.

Aurele, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  3. mike30

mike30 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is that a tricky question?

The new content on the old domain? or the old content in the new domain? If you put your new content on the old domain, then what content will be in the new domain? witch is the one you want to use right?.)

mike30, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  4. MTG

MTG Peon

Best Answers:
    older domains are always going to rank higher most of the time, it sometimes depends on what the previous site was before you got it. But since you seemed to have had this old website for awhile and it is at pagerank of three you could always throw a redirect on the site so people who visit it go to your new webpage. That is what I would do anyways as far as you rank in Google you need more SEO services to your website to make sure your onsite SEO and backlinks are strong. Although on site SEO can easily be handled you can normally never have enough backlinks! I hope this helps!

Thanks

MTG, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  5. subhamoy

subhamoy Active Member

Best Answers:
    if two domain in same server ip then it will be problem in SEO!

subhamoy, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  6. Excel 8

Excel 8 Guest

Best Answers:
    since your on second page you don't need to change it or put it back to the old domain, all your site need is a good one way links from other bloggers and I think its possible since you mentioned that your site is being featured in other blogs... well couple of more of that will push your site through.

Excel 8, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  7. woody allen

woody allen Peon

Best Answers:
    keep both, park the domain perhaps. I will suggest an older domain if the name is good. ppl normally sell older domains on the net as they are valueble, have backlinks and so on. new domains doesnt give u anything.

woody allen, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  8. Irfi0009

Irfi0009 Banned

Best Answers:
    if two domain in same server ip then it will be problem in SEO!

Irfi0009, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  9. C.Rebecca

C.Rebecca Active Member

Best Answers:
    C.Rebecca, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  10. searchtechword

searchtechword Peon

Best Answers:
    stick with your new site and build a brand name with it. PR for the new site will come with time and efforts. continue your efforts in building links to your new site. If the contents on both the sites are different then there is no point in redirecting new site to old one. Since the old site is of high PR, use it to full advantage to link to your new site..

searchtechword, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  11. gwbbaby

gwbbaby Peon

Best Answers:
    301redirect your old domain to new domain.

gwbbaby, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  12. seoaccount

seoaccount Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't want to go back to your old website, then best option for you is 301 redirect. Redirect your old website to the new domain using 301.

seoaccount, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  13. ankushkohli

ankushkohli Peon

Best Answers:
    Redirect one domain to other, use quality content & don't worry about the pagerank. Have some patience and you'll get the results.

ankushkohli, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  14. woody allen

woody allen Peon

Best Answers:
    why don't you just keep both and do a 301 redirection? Domain aint tht expensive after all.

woody allen, Jun 5, 2011 IP
  15. aaronnagal

aaronnagal Peon

Best Answers:
    301 is the best option in this case. It is a permanent redirection and you can also pass the credibility of the old domain to the new one by this redirection. It will also help you to retain the visitors that land in your older domain.

aaronnagal, Jun 5, 2011 IP