1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to redirect Site to new URL withe out loosing SERP

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by indiarajasthan, Jun 2, 2011.

I have a domain name and it is fully optimized for search engine for its main keyword and appearing on first page of google . My main keyword is not in the domain name .
    Now I have buy a new domain that have my main keyword and i want to redirect my old domain to new domain to get more higher search engine ranking .
    I don't want to loose my SERP and back link .
    I want to know that is their any possible way to do that ?
    please explain that fully to me

indiarajasthan, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  2. prclicks

prclicks Peon

Best Answers:
    Steps for redirect a site is given below.
    1.) Go hosting cpanel >> find option redirect >> Choose domain to be redirected >> add domain (on which you want to redirect). & it's done.
    2.) Copy .htaccess file from ftp to desktop. >> open it into notepad >> add your domain to be redirect >>> it's done.

.htaccess

Options +FollowSymLinks
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule (.*) http://www.newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

I hope it can be useful for you. There are so many way to redirect. Please go to google for more.

prclicks, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  3. gwbbaby

gwbbaby Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya you can do this.

First create an Google webmaster account if you have one than its is great verify your old domain and also new domain. Now Ask your developer or if you know how to than go to .htaccess file in ftp and 301 old domain to new domain 301 redirect. With 301 direct you tell Search engine that the page is permanently redirected, Ya here you redirecting your main page example olddomain.com to newdomain.com to move your site completely you have to 301redirect each page to new page on the domain See example below.

Say your old domain is olddomain.com
    now suppose you have 5 page in your old domain

olddomain.com/page2
    olddomain.com/page3
    olddomain.com/page4
    olddomain.com/page5

Now you have to 301redirect with 1:1 ratio

like this

301redirect olddomain.com to newdomain.com
    301redirect olddomain.com/page1 to newdomain.com/page1
    301redirect olddomain.com/page2 to newdomain.com/page2
    301redirect olddomain.com/page3 to newdomain.com/page3
    301redirect olddomain.com/page4 to newdomain.com/page4
    301redirect olddomain.com/page5 to newdomain.com/page5

For more details refer to this guide by Google.
    http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/04/best-practices-when-moving-your-site.html

I hope this will guide you.

gwbbaby, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  4. sj2012

sj2012 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks friend. it helped for me

sj2012, Jun 2, 2011 IP
  5. deshkar_sandesh

deshkar_sandesh Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do not think you will lose your rankings..however make sure that there is no downtime or anything with your server.

deshkar_sandesh, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  6. indiarajasthan

indiarajasthan Peon

Best Answers:
    I am going to try this .
    I want to know that will it also save my SERP or not ?

indiarajasthan, Jun 3, 2011 IP
  7. C.Rebecca

C.Rebecca Active Member

Best Answers:
    - Use a 301 Redirect to permanently redirect all pages on your old site to your new site.

- It is recommend that you move and redirect a section or directory first, and then test to make sure that your redirects are working correctly before moving all your content.

- Don't do a single redirect directing all traffic from your old site to your new home page. This will avoid 404 errors, but it's not a good user experience.

- Check both external and internal links to pages on your site.

- make sure that all pages with incoming links are redirected to your new site.

- You should also check internal links within your old site, and update them to point to your new domain

- Once your content is in place on your new server, use a link checker to make sure you don't have broken legacy links on your site

- To prevent confusion, it's best to retain control of your old site domain for at least 180 days preferably 1 year

- Add your new site to your Webmaster Tools account

- Create and submit a Sitemap listing the URLs on your new site.

There may be some temporary fluctuation in your visitors with 301 redirection but soon thing will bounce back to normal.

C.Rebecca, Jun 3, 2011 IP