1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How does DigitalPoint do that awesome green-blurred textbox effect???

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by skcin7, Jun 1, 2011.

I am typing this message into a textarea that when it gains focus, the outline of it has a blurred green outline and I think it looks really cool. HOW THE HELL DOES SITEPOINT DO THIS??? I would like to acheive the effect on some of my websites. In addition, I have also noticed that the textareas have slightly rounded edges. It's a simple thing but I think this type of thing really spices up the way a website looks. I think it looks great on SitePoint. How can I acheive the same or similar effect on my own website?

skcin7, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  2. mikeinlincs

mikeinlincs Peon

Best Answers:
    This might help http://products.digitalpoint.com/vbulletin-css.php you understand it's not just Sitepoint you need to start reading up on HTML5 + CSS3 theres some great stuff coming our way to play with.

What you saw millions won't if their using IE8 and older browsers HTML5 is backwards compatible with most browser but with CSS3 comes a lot more coding of the style sheets to cover for older browsers. The users OS as well has to be taken into account as there people still using windows 95 with IEx and what they would be seeing one has to guess it's not going to be good LOL

Mike :)

mikeinlincs, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  3. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    I don't think so. I could hardly imagine someone running a Win 98 powered computer,
    but I certainly fail to believe there would be anyone having that rudimentary Windows 95 installed on a PC these days.

Clive, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  4. skcin7

skcin7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Great thanks a ton. Well if anybody has any links to tutorials that show how to do this, I'd love to see it. Else I'll have to do some research on my own to figure it out myself. I don't mind doing it but I'll have to do that when I have the time. And of course if I can't seem to find an already existing tutorial that shows how to do this then after i figure it out myself I'll post my findings on the web for all the world to see. Just gotta find the damn time. lol.

And to the guy who Private Messaged me wanting me to pay his "team" for his services to do this for me, not cool yo. I'm here for learning, not service. Yeah, i'm talking about you, dr_lionheart

skcin7, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  5. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    This may be a good starting point, I just grabbed it for you from the DP stylesheets:

.formcontrols .blockrow input.textbox:focus, .formcontrols .blockrow textarea:focus {
     box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px green;
    }
    Code (markup):

Clive, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  6. mikeinlincs

mikeinlincs Peon

Best Answers:
    Would you believe the answer to windows 95 is yes there are still people using it, I was asked back in March 2011 to fix an old IBM PC for a lady running win95 with only 8meg of ram on a cyrix 200 Mz chip. runs ok now but about as quick as watching paint dry, but for what she uses it for is to do the odd letter now and again, she even has a dot-matrix printer LOL.

So expect the un-expected and you'll never be to suprized.

7. skcin7

skcin7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Clive, thanks for grabbing the code for me. I always seem to have trouble grabbing CSS code from websites which are more complex in nature like this one. Usually they have multiple stylesheets and lots of code that I'm not too sure what to do with it. Me default method for figuring out CSS code was to save the page to my computer and then open it in Frontpage or Dreamweaver but often times (and I'm still not sure why it does this) the CSS doesn't show up properly and it drives me mad.

Haha that must have been quite a surprise when you saw she had Windows 95. Of course there are still people using Windows 95. I'm sure there are still people using Netscape 1.0 too. But practically nobody. LOL!

skcin7, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  8. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    I would never regard that particular lady as an important visitor to my website if she can't afford a proper computer. There's a long, long way from what she's got to a decent computer. What is she using it for, playing solitaire and writing memories in wordpad?

No offense, but my mobile phone is equipped with a 1ghz processor. Why would you at all feel bothered designing for her ancient pc? It could be terminated by an unexpected powercut anytime, just wait for the day.

Install the Web Developer (currently at version 1.19) addon for Firefox, and use the View Style Information tool (CTRL + SHIFT + Y) to inspect any layout element to see how it was styled. Just a tip.

Clive, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  9. mikeinlincs

mikeinlincs Peon

Best Answers:
    Skcin, you would be better to open files in something like a fancy notepad type editor and look at basic source code there are dozens of free editors to download try Alleycode I used it to cut me teeth when I first started webdesign. The guy who first helped me said "learn to code in html + css or I won't help" FP & DW are to heavy when they generate the pages.

I can recommend this book http://www.sitepoint.com/books/htmlcss1/ well worth the $17 for the bundle and here is a sample HTML5 CSS3 site used in the book http://www.thehtml5herald.com/ but do try it in other browsers. Crome seems the best to view all the new stuff on that page enjoy playing.

10. mikeinlincs

mikeinlincs Peon

Best Answers:
    Clive no offence taken, I was just trying to make a point that we should always do what we can for older browsers and OS. We may have the latest and fastest PC (Mac) OS on the market but others always don't have the latest. There's a big part of world that the internet has still has not reached and as those countries develope many will be re-using recycled PCs with much older OS something i'ts all to easy as a webdesigner to forget about that when you have the latest equipment and software.

11. mike30

mike30 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol... It can be hardly you to believe so, but its a true. I went to fix a client's computer the other day, and guess what, it was a windows 98. and also, my daughter plays with a windows 98 too ;) And also, a lot of people still use IE 6

And what about people on poor countries? They use whatever gets to them. (I would too).

mike30, Jun 1, 2011 IP
  12. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    It's not what they use, it's who your target visitors are. If your website is for kids then yes, you may wish to include backwards compatibility with old boxes that were given to kids to play instead of being thrown away.

My baby son enjoys playing with a broken mouse I gave him. I doubt that he understands it's broken but then I'm sure he's not visiting any of my websites yet so I'm not worried about designing a template that will support clicking links with a broken mouse, know what I mean?

I wouldn't underestimate the world. Ever heard that poor countries are leaders in piracy? I'm pretty sure their computers are running latest software that you can't afford to buy in your own country yet :)

Clive, Jun 2, 2011 IP