1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Pagerank not recovering after domain change

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by markdb_sem, May 25, 2011.

Hi,

I need general opinions on this to support my own assumptions. We recently changed the domains of a website over 1000 pages in size.

Here are the various points:

• The new domain has been owned by the company for about 10 years, although the Whois info says it was created in Feb 2011.
    • We enacted the change in mid-march and all 301's have been checked and are working perfectly
    • The website was previously PR5 and now has PR0
    • The website has maintained a solid level of links from sites of varying value

It has been almost 3 months since the change and although traffic levels are stable I am being asked for a reason why the PR has not returned and also if it will return at all.

Can anybody offer an opinion on this?

Last edited: May 25, 2011
    markdb_sem, May 25, 2011 IP
  2. suichiro

suichiro Peon

Best Answers:
    If all your backlinks are redirecting correctly on your site, your PR might be back once Google updates the toolbar PR. However, since your traffic is stable, I don't think there is no need for you to worry thing that doesn't matter.

suichiro, May 25, 2011 IP
  3. revium

revium Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with suichiro, if your traffic is stable then I would not worry about it. Toolbar page rank is only updated periodically throughout the year, and your new domain most likely had no PR before you switched to it, so it is very likely that the PR shown has not been updated since you made the switch.

Regardless of the reason, toolbar PR is not a good way to measure the health and success of a website, particularly since it is not accurate.

revium, May 25, 2011 IP
  4. markdb_sem

markdb_sem Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, but it's not the toolbar rank I'm particularly worried about. I have run the website through a number of tools, including the SEOmoz checker and they all say 0. I'm aware that the toolbar PR updates sporadically, in some cases 8 months after the last.

Also, as a result of the stable traffic I'm not worried about the website, I'm just being asked to explain why PR hasn't recovered and I'm struggling to understand why and explain it.

markdb_sem, May 26, 2011 IP
  5. SSC

SSC Active Member

Best Answers:
    Their is no such predefined rule which tells about the time-frame it takes to switch PR or we can say update PR. you have done your best by doing 301 redirect and now the only thing you can do is wait and watch or start a new thread in Google community forums to get some brief insights from experts. i can feel the pain to see PR0 when you were initially sitting at PR5. we all know that PR is not an important factor anymore if we are getting some decent targeted traffic but still it looks good to see a site with high PR. just a thought :)

SSC, May 26, 2011 IP
  6. Draggle

Draggle Peon

Best Answers:
    It is a pitty they are asking you the question, Its good you arn't worried about the website, traffic would be your main concern over your 'lost' PR. Your website either way commands some authority without the PR it still performs. There isnt a way to explain it either, it could be so many varying things, the toolbar's I use were never very accurate anyway constantly displaying incorrect data. Hopefully you get the PR recovered ASAP.

Goodluck.

Draggle, May 26, 2011 IP