1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.edu domains, can you get them if doing gov certifications?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by klown, Jan 29, 2007.

My parent's company runs several websites that have online schools dedicated which certify people to do things. An example would be a "Bar Tender's License"

The schools are approved by the US government, and run in accordance with all the laws and mandates of various boards.

What I'm wondering is if they can get a .edu domain name or not?

Their corporation is not a non-profit

If they can get a .edu domain, where would you apply for that?

klown, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  2. njoker555

njoker555 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well not even all schools have a .edu, mostly colleges, private colleges too, high schools have the normal .com of their school, i doubt u'll be able to get one, even if its non profit, u can get a .org for a non profit organization

njoker555, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  3. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like your right. Maybe I'm getting lazy and instead of searching the net every once and a while i just ask questions on here. http://www.educause.edu/edudomain/policy.asp is a website which lists the requirements to get a .edu domain.

klown, Jan 29, 2007 IP
  4. EduOrg

EduOrg Active Member

Best Answers:
    Klown, you're correct. New .edu registrations are reserved only for institutions accredited by agencies on the US Department of Education list. It takes about 3-4 years and a budget of $500,000+ to get accredited and receive a new .edu domain.

However, there is an alternative route - you can acquire a grandfathered EDU, which by law doesn't have any accreditation and usage requirements. It's the only way for a private individual to own .edu domain, and it's much more affordable too (mid xx,xxx vs. $500,000+)

EduOrg, May 24, 2011 IP