1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google "ADD URL" hurts your potential rankings????

Discussion in 'Google' started by skattabrain, Apr 26, 2005.

1. dannywall

dannywall Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all, SEO Inc maintained the #1 position for search engine optimization for a rather long time. The simple fact that they got pounded now only partially mitigates their obvious track record.

As for SEO Chat, what makes them untrustworthy?

Please explain to me how the end result of what I said won't turn out to be a good thing for someone new to SEO and thinking of submitting using the Add URL?

It seems to me you folks are on a bash fest here over what is a minor nit.

dannywall, May 2, 2005 IP
  2. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, we enjoy bashing people because that's what all the big boys in the forum circuit do.

Maybe that, or your claims are so off the dannywall that we have to call you on them.

Do you really believe that Google is penalizing you for using a form they recommend?

Infiniterb, May 2, 2005 IP
  3. dannywall

dannywall Peon

Best Answers:
    BINGO!

And we have a winner!

So if Google gives one site a "stronger initial ranking" because of being found through a spidered link, then in a "glass is half empty" look, it could be said that Google gives one site a LOWER INITIAL RANKING if it has to be found via the Add URL.

Of course Ziandra has posted more "anecdotal evidence" and I am sure that you people can come up with all sorts of excuses why here past experience isn't as valid as yours.

The end result is this.

Google gives sites that it finds through spidered links a better ranking than sites it has to find via Add URL submission.

That also means that Google gives sites that it finds through Add URL submission WORSE ranking than sites it finds via spidered links.

4. dannywall

dannywall Peon

Best Answers:
    No it isn't.

Statement A
    Google will rank you higher if it finds your site through spidering a link than it will if it finds you because of Add URL submittsion.

If Statement A is true, then Statement B below is also true ...

Statement B
    Google will rank you LOWER if it finds your site through Add URL submission than it will if it finds you through spidering a link.

Now if you want to take issue with me claiming that Google will "penalize you" for using the Add URL feature of their site, go ahead.

That doesn't change what will happen to your rankings if you use it.

5. dannywall

dannywall Peon

Best Answers:
    First, I've said many times that Google ignores Add URL submissions for sites already spidered and indexed.

Second, if Google will rank you higher for finding you through a spidered link than if it finds you through an Add URL submission, then it is also true that Google will rank you LOWER if it finds you through Add URL submission than if it finds you through a spidered link.

Now I don't know about you, but I consider Google deciding to rank me lower for taking a certain action a penalty.

Thus, Google penalizes you for submitting your *NEW* site using the Add URL feature.

6. Infiniterb

Best Answers:
    No, the end result is that you're wrong.

If you are linked by a site with high PR you of course will be passed said PR and MIGHT rank higher (depending on the competitiveness of the KW). That's not the issue. This has been known for years. The issue here is that you're saying the Add URL form HURTS you. The Add URL form does NOT hurt your chances of anything. It does nothing. Period. These tests have been done in the past. All it does is make you warm and fuzzy inside thinking that Google will do something for you some day when it gets around to going through it's add form repository. If you got high PR sites linking to you and used the add url form, you'd have the same outcome if you simply just had the high PR sites linking to you.

Once again:

The Add Form on Google.com does little to nothing. It does not help you. It does not hurt you. It does not make you coffee. It does not walk your dog. It is a simple text box that you type a url into and hit submit, whereby the url you typed in sits in a database collecting dust until some code monkey at Google decides to point a Googlebot to bounce around in that DB and spider the urls. That's it.

7. dannywall

dannywall Peon

Best Answers:
    How exactly do I come off as a snake oil salesman? I'm not selling anything, the sites I recommend I have ZERO connection with.

Secondly, as I've said several times, no one will argue with this statement...

Google will rank you higher if it finds you through a spidered link than it will if it finds you through Add URL submission. Ask ANY of the SEO folks on this list if THEY use the Add URL feature to get Google to find a site ... then ask them why not.

Now, if it is true that Google will rank you HIGHER for doing one thing instead of another, then it is true that it will rank you LOWER for doing the second instead of the first.

In other words, Google will rank you LOWER if it finds you through Add URL submission than it will if it finds you through a spidered link.

If Google is going to rank me lower for finding me through Add URL submission then I feel pretty safe in saying that Google will penalize you.

Google "invites" people to submit or create sites that are poorly optimized, and then penalizes them for having a poorly optimized site.

8. dannywall

dannywall Peon

Best Answers:
    Minstrel ... I'm going to bold this so that perhaps you won't miss it this time because I've said it so many times already and you apparently have gotten it yet.

GOOGLE IGNORES ADD URL SUBMISSIONS FOR SITES IT ALREADY HAS SPIDERED/INDEXED

Therefore, submitting a competitors site won't do anything except waste your time. I've said that probably half a dozen times at least by now.

The only time the Add URL feature of Google "comes into play" is on brand new, as yet unspidered/unindexed, sites.

Can you grasp it this time?

9. dannywall

dannywall Peon

Best Answers:
    SiteTutor, thank you for pointing out the obvious things which probably most of the SEO folks on this site knows already.

It DOES MATTER how Google finds you. Yet here Minstrel, RandFish, and others are trying to say that it doesn't matter.

If it matters how Google finds you ... if Google will rank you differently based partially on how it finds you ... then it can be said that IT MATTERS HOW GOOGLE FINDS YOU!

It means that some ways of finding you get better ... lets call them bonuses ... than other ways.

If you look at it in a "glass is half empty" position, then it also means that some ways of finding you get WORSE "bonuses" than other ways.

Minstrel, RankFish, and others want me to change my article and admit that I'm wrong when if they would just stop and think for five seconds ... if they would just stop trying to prove me wrong and just LISTEN ... they would actually see several people on this list prove that I am right.

10. dannywall

dannywall Peon

Best Answers:
    For what must be the 9th time now ...

GOOGLE IGNORES ADD URL SUBMISSIONS FOR SITES IT ALREADY HAS SPIDERED/INDEXED

Continuing to make the same inane point over and over again doesn't make the argument you are trying to make any less inane.

11. dannywall

dannywall Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, they do ... one more time ....

If Google will rank you better if it finds you through a spidered link than if it finds you through an Add URL submission, then it is also true that Google will rank you worse if it finds you through Add URL submission than if it finds you through a spidered link.

Glass Half Full Statement ... Google will give you better rankings for finding you through a spidered link on a high PR website

Glass Half Empty Statement ... Google will give you lower rankings if it can't find you through a spidered link and instead finds you through Add URL submission.

Both statements are true. Given that, if I continue with the Glass Half Empty "view" of Google, I can say ACCURATELY that Google will penalize you (i.e. give you a lower ranking) if you submit your NEW site using the Add URL feature.

12. toddieg

toddieg Peon

Best Answers:
    Please God, just make this thread end. :D

toddieg, May 2, 2005 IP
  13. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    they accept anything as long as they can say they had reason to trust that the content was valid based on who the article writer is.
    It is becoming known that just because there is an article on seochat, it is "reader beware".
    How do you know it's nonsense?

And no, this thread has overloaded my attention span.

But I do know that seochat has some garbage articles and also that the way that Google indexes you can make a difference.

Blogmaster, May 2, 2005 IP
  14. randfish

randfish Peon

Best Answers:
    Danny, Let me just give you an example of a single response you could have made once, that would have satisfied everyone involved and made people on this forum (and the others) respect you a lot more:

Hey gang,
    Thanks for pointing out that oversight. I meant only to say that it is my belief that Google rewards sites that it finds through external links more than it rewards sites found through using the Add URL form. This is a naturally occurring phenomenon since Google rewards backlinks in general, so a site with even 1 backlinks will outrank a site with 0 (all else being equal).

I can see how my writing style may have been misinterpretated by some readers. I'll make a quick correction to that paragraph so there won't be any confusion. Thanks for your diligent attention. I hope you keep reading my articles and let me know if you have any other good advice.

Best wishes,
    Danny Wall

I would have loved something like that - the true sign of a person deserving of respect, attention & links. I'm so sorry to see that you could not be persuaded to choose this route instead.

randfish, May 2, 2005 IP
  15. Infiniterb

Best Answers:
    So Danny, would you agree that by not doing anything at all you are penalizing yourself?

Crazy_Rob likes this.
  16. toddieg

toddieg Peon

Best Answers:
    Randfish makes a good point danny... how about a nice apology for the crew? :D

toddieg, May 2, 2005 IP
  17. dannywall

dannywall Peon

Best Answers:
    The previous thread got rediculous. My temper flared, people weren't actually reading what I wrote, several of us got a bit defensive.

Here is all I'm going to say about my statement that Google will penalize you for using the Add URL feature of its website. It will be the last I say on it, I won't be responding to further comments on this issue ... and before I get to my actual point let me reiterate that my statements make reference to NEW websites not yet found, indexed, or spidered by Google.

1) It is true that if you go out and get a PR 6 or 7 backlink for your site (as my article recommends) and google spiders and indexes you that way, that you will get a better ranking for your site than if you submit your site using the Add URL feature and Google spiders and indexes you that way.

It is a fact, and you all know it.

2) If the above is a fact, then it is ALSO true that if you submit your site using the Add URL feature and you do not get backlinks that you will rank LOWER.

It is obvious that part of (I'm willing to agree even a lot of) the reason for this has to do with the fact that you'll get a better starting PR in instance one above that you will not get in instance two above.

However, as has been stated in the other thread, there is more to it than simply that. It is also true that HOW Google finds you is partially important to how you will rank initially.

If Google will "treat you differently" based on how it initially finds you, then how you talk about that treatment is simply a matter of how you are looking at the situation.

You can say that Google will treat you "better" if it finds you one way over the other (e.g. finding you via DMOZ instead of Add URL on G).

Or you could say that Google will treat you "worse" if it finds you one way over the other (e.g. finding you via Add URL on G instead of DMOZ).

If Google will treat you "worse" for doing one thing over another, then I can say that Google will penalize you (which means to treat you worse) for doing one thing over another and also be accurate.

Therefore, the sentence in the article IS ACCURATE.

Now, it has been said that the article itself contained "advice" that was "bad, poisonous, uninformed, unsophisticated, etc." ... if anyone can actually show m anything from the article that fits that description other than the one issue we've already beat to death, I'll deal with that if it happens, but I'm done with the "Google will penalize you for using the Add URL feature of its site" matter. As I've said, depending on how you look at the issue, it will do exactly that.
    -Danny

18. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I disagree based on my experience. The #1 first thing I do with each domain is add the url to every search engine that lets me.

Thats just my opinion based on my experience. I will do some research with the next batch of domains and see which are indexed faster on average with or without submission and have facts to back it up at that time.

Shoemoney, May 2, 2005 IP
  19. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Danny if you expect people here to bow down because you have written an article for seochat, this forum is not the place :)
    Everyone else please stop arguing for arguments sake, we are here to learn and not prove ourselves right all the time.

Blogmaster, May 2, 2005 IP
  20. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    OK, now that we have that behind us we can get to something more important. I have found proof that Google penalizes sites that start with the letter B, for 3 - 6 months.

CanadianEh, May 2, 2005 IP