1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Copywiter vs Personal Salesman

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by The Niche Man, May 18, 2011.

I was posed a question the other day that I wasn't quite sure about, so I'll ask you experts here.

Do good copywriters make good salesmen?
    and
    Does good salesmen make good copywriters?

Which is more true?
    Any thoughts?

The Niche Man, May 18, 2011 IP
  2. etali

etali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that if you want to be a copywriter you need to be at least a decent salesman. Writing sales copy is a different skill to writing general articles, though.

I don't think it works the other way round. Sure, there are some salesmen that are great at writing copy, but it isn't a requirement. One of the best door-to-door and telephone salespeople I've ever met couldn't even put a coherent email together, let alone a full page of text. Away from the internet, sales is about personality and rapport. Translating that to a web page is difficult for many people.

etali, May 19, 2011 IP
  3. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Well of course.

And a copywriter and a salesperson are the same thing.

We sell through written word.

Perry Rose, May 19, 2011 IP
  4. AlexMaster

AlexMaster Peon

Best Answers:

I think good copywriters make good salesmen!

AlexMaster, May 19, 2011 IP
  5. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would say it depends.

Copywriters have the advantage of time. We don't have someone on the phone or in front of us needing a quick answer. With writing sales copy, we can take our time, study the prospect and craft the right words. The disadvantage for a writer is that we get once chance to get it right since we can't change the words to fit the particular customer we are dealing with at the time.

Conversely, I've encountered more than a few salesman who would have trouble writing a coherent sentence but had very high closure rates.

Then there's the biggest variable - personality. Some writers are highly talented at what they do, but they have the personality of a dead fish.

YMC, May 20, 2011 IP
  6. MagicMonkey

MagicMonkey Member

Best Answers:
    Well selling yourself well will get you better work at higher rates but its not a neccessity to be in the trade- unless of course you want a sales copywriter in which case they are probably going to be a good salesperson themselves ;)

MagicMonkey, May 22, 2011 IP
  7. nibblymonster

nibblymonster Guest

Best Answers:
    I have to disagree with you. A good copywriter isn't necessarily a good salesman; the copywriter could feel anxious during face-to-face interactions with strangers, and may perform poorly at sales. Similarly, a good salesman isn't necessarily a good copywriter; the salesman could be a careless writer due to a lack of attention to detail. Both occupations require different skill sets, and I wouldn't be surprised if they tended to attract very different personality types.

nibblymonster, May 23, 2011 IP
  8. Writer

Writer Peon

Best Answers:
    This is true. Being a salesperson does not necessarily have to entail face-to-face selling or cold calling. So, a copywriter is, by definition, a salesperson. However, the converse is not true. A salesperson may be a copywriter but could also be a telemarketer, door-to-door seller, broadcaster etc.

Writer, May 24, 2011 IP
  9. JosiahHumphrey

JosiahHumphrey Peon

Best Answers:
    I tend to agree with what everyone else is saying, yes a copywriter should be a good salesmen.. unless of course the copywriter is scared of speaking in public, it's easy to sell via written words, selling via the spoken language takes it to a completely different level, you need to have a higher level of confidence in yourself to be able to sell well face to face or over the phone.

JosiahHumphrey, May 30, 2011 IP
  10. tnbturbo

tnbturbo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I think if you have a sales and marketing background it definately helps when writing content. Some writers do not understand how to "conclude" an article and close the sale.

tnbturbo, Jun 4, 2011 IP