1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

is SEO BOOK any good?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by flip, Oct 20, 2006.

1. BuenosAires

BuenosAires Peon

Best Answers:
    For me, the best resource I have read on SEO - it cuts through all of the crap you read about SEO in most places on the net and is focused on creating long term value, which for me is important (might not be for all?).

Also, I find his frequent blog updates, along with his keyword reasearch tool, seo for firefox plugin, and hubfinder tool to all be very useful.

The only thing I would say negatively is the seeming lack of frequent updates - I bought at the start of July and there has not been an update yet, to my knowledge, at least if there has been I have not been informed of it! (If anyone knows different, please let me know...)

Also you supposedly get 15 minutes free consulting time from Aaron, which I am hoping will be useful to point out anything I have missed when I get my website to the point where I'd like him to quickly review it.

BuenosAires, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  2. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    Of the many ebooks I have paid for in the last 7 years this is at the top. For the begginer to intermediate it is a gem and flows well. For the advanced it is still a nice resource to have everything in one place. Well worth the money.
    Nice thing is updates are free to download.

reapr, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  3. BuenosAires

BuenosAires Peon

Best Answers:

has there been an update since july?

(see my post above.)

BuenosAires, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  4. Jazzcat

Jazzcat Peon

Best Answers:
    SEOBook is a great investment for any SEO. You'll get your money's worth out of it.

Jazzcat, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  5. awall19

awall19 Berserker

Best Answers:
    An update will be done before this month is out (most likely sometime this week).

I have been doing lots of one off stuff recently (like dental work to fix my jaw muscles, am getting ready to move to San Fran soon, and just finished writing my seo glossary.)

I already have the list of things I want to update done, I just need to go through and revise it.

Updates are not as frequent as they once were for a few main reasons
    - I don't advocate aggressive exploitation of algorithmic holes (because if I did most people would not use that info, and some who did would probably try to sue me for it after it stopped working, plus I don't do as much of the hyper-aggressive short term stuff as some people do)
    - many of the changes recently have been more toward pushing things of real value and demoting / closing loopholes...and my book was drafted with being future friendly in mind...and as I gained experience it has become easier to see market changes and trends early and predict some types of future changes
    - I don't want to send out updates so often that some people think of them as being a form of spam
    - the final factor is that it is hard to read my own writing over and over again without it somehow affecting my worldview or making me dislike the book because the audience that purchases it is quite diverse in nature, and it is easy to get into a bit of a rut of self doubt when evaluating pieces of it over and over and over again, and the more I edit it in small bits the more likely it is to get really choppy in nature.

To compensate for that last part I felt it was necessary to try to create some fairly standardized stuff like a glossary that would help back up any weaknesses in clarity in the ebook (given the vastness of search and that words have different meanings to different people based on their own experiences).

I also am doing a few more SEO interviews that I will integrate into the book offering to help round out the edges. I put a lot of work into writing SEO Book, but sometimes I need to not see it a bit such that I can
    - acquire more marketing knowledge (I am probably more of a holistic internet marketer than an SEO at this point...SEO was just my entry point into marketing)
    - see it with fresh eyes and look through it fairly comprehensively
    - update it in a way to try to minimize the fragmentation that comes with frequent updates

awall19, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  6. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    An SEO book is good if you want the info quickly. However if you can afford the time, you will be better off subscribing to a Webmaster forum and learn gradually

infonote, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  7. Ppscslv

Ppscslv Peon

Best Answers:
    The best SEO book is your own experience. Try to "know" about many SEO concepts and begin to research. And make the whole for people, not for search engines.

Ppscslv, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  8. BuenosAires

BuenosAires Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for replying to my question Aaron....excellent customer service! ;)

Keep up the great work with the site and the book, and good luck with the dental work....I'm having a root canal myself tomorrow :(

BuenosAires, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  9. Pammer

Pammer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    its really good, if you are newbie about seo world. you will surely find many intersting stuff.

Pammer, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  10. SFOD_D223

SFOD_D223 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have heard of this book, but just wondering whether I need it. Based on some of my sites rankings and backlink checkers from various tools. We seem to be doing well for owning a site for 8 months and a PR4.

SFOD_D223, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  11. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    The thing is, you could be doing even better. :rolleyes:

Emperor, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  12. yutewa00

yutewa00 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes videos from Michael and many others... Im just not the person who would read ebooks. I can read printed things. but ebooks ? naahh. I can't read them. dunno why. I even printed The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown once and read it in my warm bed with hot cup of tea by my side. :)

What do you think about What Google Never Told You About Making Money With AdSense by Joel Comm ? I didn't read it but it's seems like a pretty decent book to me.

yutewa00, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  13. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    I was also like you but after a while I got use to reading books on my pc. It’s just a matter of getting use to it. If you think about the price of eBooks it is definitely worth it. :cool:

Emperor, Oct 23, 2006 IP
  14. SEO Tutor©

SEO Tutor© Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to agree. Although we consider our SEO e-book the preeminent tutorial for search engine marketing, people these days are less inclined to read much of anything -- even when the reward is substantial.

With more interest in videos than the written word, visual SEO instructionals offer a great potential to help educate the student. This is one of the areas we're exploring currently and hope to have a beta available soon.

SEO Tutor©, Oct 23, 2006 IP
    eXe likes this.
  15. khasmoth

khasmoth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the SEO glossary Aaron. Keep it up.

khasmoth, Oct 23, 2006 IP