1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you think Holiday Celebrations should be banned in schools?

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Oceanus, Feb 24, 2011.

Do you think we should ban celebration of everything holiday (religious or not) from the schools? Or celebrate everything and maybe learn a little more about the different cultures of the world?

Oceanus, Feb 24, 2011 IP
  2. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How about leave tings the way they are . Why fix something that is not broken ?

ApocalypseXL, Feb 25, 2011 IP
  3. Jackuul

Jackuul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, all holidays should be banned in schools. Schools are for learning, not for partying. Thus, no school on national holidays.

Jackuul, Mar 11, 2011 IP
  4. druidelder

druidelder Peon

Best Answers:
    For me, it would depend on a few factors.

1) What do you mean by the term celebrate?
    If you mean party, then I say ban them all. We shouldn't be having religious parties in school, and if we can't afford to purchase pencils and paper for students, then I don't think we can afford party hats either.
    If you mean participate in some community function, then I think we could celebrate non-religious holidays in school. (Going to the VA on Memorial Day or something like that.)
    If you mean acknowledge and discuss the history of, then I think it would be fine to talk about any of them (as long as the religious holidays were talked about in a historical context).

2) What do you mean by ban?
    The school won't sponsor any such event.
    The school won't allow any such event on its grounds. (I would be less likely to go for this type of ban, particularly in high school where many afterschool groups are formed).

druidelder, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  5. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not a college grad then...:)

Obamanation, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  6. samantha pia

samantha pia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    oh boy,
    Are kids in school at christmas? NO, Are they in school at easter? NO, Are then in school for any other public holiday? NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't tell me you lot claim to have had an education ffs?

Dont start trying to say jews or muslims go to school on christmas day or i'll screem:p

samantha pia, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  7. ЄxDeus™

ЄxDeus™ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    some schools are not allowed christmas trees in the UK as it can be seen as racist. i know the redcross banned tress from there shops. Im sure it will get to the point in which we cant have a public holiday.

i mean the kids have to sing Baa Baa rainbow sheep these days why cant they just leave it as baa baa blacksheep?

ЄxDeus™, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  8. samantha pia

samantha pia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    they cant say blah blah rainbow sheep, thats sexist.

samantha pia, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  9. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Political correctness is a silly affectation of people that have too much time on their hands and should worry about more important things, like whether their kids can read and write and have a working knowledge of math and science.

I doubt parents in the middle east are agonizing about whether they're evil ethnocentric xenophobes for failing to celebrate the Fourth of July. If their country didnt win its independence then... why the hell should they celebrate it?

But leave it to the guilt ridden self-apologists in our country to wring their hands and wonder solemnly if it is wrong for us to not celebrate holidays that are traditional in other countries, or to "force" children that move here from other societies to be present when we celebrate our traditions.

You have to seriously have zero problems for that to even appear marginally important... and having been involved in the public schools at one time in school board roles... the holiday schedule is NOT the biggest problem they are facing. We need to focus on educating the kids and quit worrying about whether we celebrate enough holidays to convince those that moved here from The Peoples Republic of Xanadu we're sufficiently culturally inclusive. Welcome to America, you live here now... let us introduce you to our holidays. Have a hot dog and a bottle rocket.

The poor sad are-we-wrong-to-be-Americans crowd needs to either pipe down or just give their damned Volvo to the maid and move to a third world country so they can quit feeling guilty for having been born here. Those of us that don't give a rats ass about such manufactured issues can send them a card at Christmas... while our kids are off for the holiday.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    robjones, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  10. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    I think I'll be a racists and volunteer to help with Easter and Christmas celebrations - racism is a 2000 year old tradition and I love it . If people don't like it they can jihad me .

ApocalypseXL, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  11. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think whoever wants to party should and whoever's paying for it should decide what it's about or who it's for but I can also certainly understand why some are simply changing the name of the celebration to take the religiousity out of it, though many are still partying, just these days it's not in glory to Jesus or Mo.

So, is this more about political correctness or is it affordability? ie: to keep everyone happy would mean celebratinig all of them or none of them. And, if they are paying for the celebrations, or more realisticly, the taxpayers are paying for the party, then of course there has to be a limit on how many parties one has. We all know, it does cost a lot to put an a good party.

The organisations that I've heard of canceling celebrations is only because they can't afford to celebrate them all and too afraid to pick and choose the ones they can afford as it might upset someone, cause bad publicity and stop the funding. To save arguments it was easier just to cancel them all. Most still have their parties but try to include everyone by calling it something that includes all people and faiths.

Bushranger, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  12. druidelder

druidelder Peon

Best Answers:
    How about constitutionality? If tax payer dollars are funding any part of it, then religion (any religion) should not be part of it.

druidelder, Mar 25, 2011 IP
  13. Amit Shrivastava

Amit Shrivastava Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think so because student want some enjoyment with the study.

Amit Shrivastava, Apr 6, 2011 IP
  14. salikkhan

salikkhan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think for the overall development of the child, it is required. Schools are not only meant for making book worms...

salikkhan, May 11, 2011 IP
  15. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Christmas, Easter are profit making events. You're not in control, the government is not in control, the whole Corporatocracy rules the world. You think there just going to let you get rid of something that causes 100's of billions of dollars in global spending. Good luck with that is all I'm saying lol.

Seqqa, May 11, 2011 IP
  16. Misato

Misato Guest

Best Answers:
    This is the time of the year when people MAX their credit cards.

Misato, May 11, 2011 IP
  17. ApocalypseXL

Best Answers:
    It's also a time of the year when people are more forgiving , generous and kind . Those are values that I want every human to learn , if we can do this while having fun the better .

ApocalypseXL, May 11, 2011 IP