1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you put a phone number on your site?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by anonymous479, Apr 30, 2011.

I am getting ready to launch a new site and I am stuck on whether or not I should have a phone number on the site. I think clearly it is best to have a number on the site. Personally I will always opt for a store that has a number although I never call.

My biggest problem putting the number on the site is that I wouldn't be able to answer it on set hours, so it would probably have to go to a recording saying "blah blah blah.... you have called during non operating hours, please try your call again or leave a message". That would not be a good look, but it is all relative on how people actually call vs how many find confidence in the fact that there is a visible phone number

How calls can a site expect per unique visitor? What have been your experiences with a phone number?

anonymous479, Apr 30, 2011 IP
  2. chicagol

chicagol Peon

Best Answers:
    If the site isn't very popular, put a 1800 number that will forward to your cell. You'll only get a few calls a month and it will make your site seem more reliable and may even increase sales.

chicagol, Apr 30, 2011 IP
  3. sar420

sar420 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The above is a good idea plus if its a website where you're not selling anything I believe there is no need for you to put your number

sar420, May 1, 2011 IP
  4. fernades

fernades Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should provide your number. Because it make user more believable.

fernades, May 3, 2011 IP
  5. mygold

mygold Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it not reasonable to put my cellphone number on website.

mygold, May 7, 2011 IP
  6. HostHatch

HostHatch Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yeah, make sure you put a toll free number for reliability. & It's not best to put your local cell phone number as it just doesn't seem professional. I don't know the costs of an 888 or 800 number, but I will give you update once I find some. Because, I need something to forward to my cell too. Though, I sell VPS, dedicated servers, and gameservers, and don't prefer phone support. We currently handle live chat and ticket support, and wouldn't be escalating to phone support yet. Is it suggested to put a 888 or 800 number on my website just for backup or is that unnecessary?

HostHatch, May 7, 2011 IP
  7. ahsankts

ahsankts Peon

Best Answers:
    i will also say that there is no need to put phone number on the site. its my personal experience that people tease you.

ahsankts, May 8, 2011 IP
  8. anonymous479

anonymous479 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Explain this?

anonymous479, May 8, 2011 IP
  9. JerrickYeoh

JerrickYeoh Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is very important to have your phone contact number in your website especially you are doing business.
    If your website is for business purpose , then you need to minor down your privacy. Phone call information is a need.
    It build confidence to your client to make purchase with you and reduce their worry for the transaction.
    It would be fine that you din answer for sometime, as long you follow up by the next few hour or next day . Unless you provide service that important and need immediately which is 24/7. If no then just leave it there. you may put 12 /7 or 12 /5 better than nothing.

JerrickYeoh, May 8, 2011 IP
  10. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps say something on your contact page to the effect: "for faster response" please send an email or that the number is a customer support number.

bogart, May 8, 2011 IP
  11. ExaMike

ExaMike Peon

Best Answers:
    It is always not advise to display a number that cannot-reach-when-need. Disply only contact information that available to reach you. Alternatively, you can consider to have skype contact in your website? Your customers/prospects can drop you an offline message eventhough you are not available.

ExaMike, May 8, 2011 IP
  12. ken.sweet

ken.sweet Active Member

Best Answers:
    Putting a phone number is good. But better to keep a business phone for that. For personal use you can use a different number.

ken.sweet, May 8, 2011 IP
  13. adspub

adspub Member

Best Answers:
    If you're not selling professional service, there's no need to put your phone number on your website.

adspub, May 8, 2011 IP
  14. saurabh.dhawan

saurabh.dhawan Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for the suggestion i am also looking to solve this problem

saurabh.dhawan, May 8, 2011 IP
  15. urairuk123

urairuk123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For my store i always leave Email, Phone number and address. If a site dont have any off these i would never buy from it. just seems more legit too me

urairuk123, May 9, 2011 IP
  16. anonymous479

anonymous479 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Getting an 800 phone number is no problem for me. This is an ecommerce site btw.

My main concern is that I'll lose customers if my phone isn't answered. Of course my calls will be proportional to traffic and sales. And there is the fact that just seeing a phone number will make people more confident even though they don't call.

Right now, I think I am going to get a number and put it on the site. ANd then in the contact us and FAQ pages just put something saying "blah, blah, blah... we are not a huge corporation and this site is owner operated, therefore I may not be able to answer calls all the time...."

anonymous479, May 9, 2011 IP
    bogart likes this.
  17. TutorialsForum.Net

TutorialsForum.Net Member

Best Answers:
    Purchase a number from Skype, so whenever your on your computer you can receive phone calls!

TutorialsForum.Net, May 9, 2011 IP
    bogart likes this.
  18. urairuk123

urairuk123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Not sure what you selling but I sell Shirts and in almost 1 year i have never had a customer call me from my website. Always done things by email for others it may be different always try and cover everything in your FAQ.

urairuk123, May 9, 2011 IP
  19. rock.php

rock.php Member

Best Answers:
    You can clearly state that you will only receive calls during operating hours. and that recording message idea is pretty neat.

rock.php, May 9, 2011 IP
  20. aheadWorks

aheadWorks Member

Best Answers:
    it is not always necessary to put phone number on the website. it really depends on what you sell.

Choose the best option for you from toll free numbers or skype numbers.

aheadWorks, May 11, 2011 IP