1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

english vs. globish

Discussion in 'General Business' started by lone woolf, Apr 22, 2011.

hi lone woolf here , one topic i would like to get your opinion about is :do we need to write perfect english or even globish would do? sometimes i feel like if you don't write perfect english you can get a lot of remarque from people on the net , tipically people from english speacking country , usa,uk , nz,aussie, ectc.The question is how about world wide web communication? All we not writing perfect english shall we write only in our mother language or ther's a reason why we write in english? My primary language is Italian , but because i'm living in south switzerland i also speack french , german , 80% spanish ,70% portuguese , but i like to communicate with a greater audience , that's why i write in english. When it come to internet market , my niche, it could be some kind of problem, but i think the product you are selling it's more important important then where are you from , and if you are honest in your business , but your english it's not 100% it's still better then scammer who can write perfect english! I personally think that globish it's really the language who permit to comunicate to the all world , and i use it during my travelling to Asia , africa just to talk to people . Internet it's a beatifull oppotunity to meet and share i hope english speacking people don't get too much upset if we use this language. :eek:

lone woolf, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  2. Laychoo

Laychoo Guest

Best Answers:
    Purpose of the post if you may enlighten? Thanks.

Laychoo, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  3. myfourseasons

myfourseasons Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree with Laychoo.

myfourseasons, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  4. jcoutts1

jcoutts1 Peon

Best Answers:
    There seems to be a question here: "do we need to write perfect english or even globish would do?"

My answer to that is simply that you should write the best English you can, if that is the language you choose to write in.

Globish is not a language. A man called Jean-Paul Nerriere created a subset of the English language for international business purposes. I really hope we never see the day when this poor substitute is used on forums instead of English.

John.

jcoutts1, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  5. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Proper English is far better then Engrish .

ApocalypseXL, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  6. transparencia

transparencia Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say grammar is also very important because it adds credibility to your writings!

transparencia, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Use the best English you can and enlist the help of others (backpackers? online contractors) to proof your work. Remember that even English speaking countries have literacy problems and not everyone can write properly. My husband failed his school English exams but has written two (local) best sellers. He writes the way he talks and that works for his audience - after a bit of polishing by the editors.

As for writing in other languages - non English sites are essential if the world wide web is to be truly all encompassing. I would hate to see people stop creating and updating their sites just because they aren't in English.

sarahk, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  8. lone woolf

lone woolf Peon

Best Answers:
    hi lone woolf here, easy to say proper english when you are from an english speacking country.Purpose of this post? You may notice that the are a few succesful marketers not specking proper english around . question: would you not consider them just because they are writing or talking" globish"? i do understand when they talk or write and is good enough for me because i really like being global, and as such meeting all the peoples without making too much fuss about language. For sure you should try to use the best english you can but to be honest in what you actually write or promote it seems to me more important. Writing in other languages ? yes but the audience and the opportunity are not the same then going global!By the way i know ,out of my travelling experience that most of the" original english speacking people" don't know a second language and believe me the world is quite big....I had a website selling off-line items all over the world and thanks to " globish" i could connect to people as far as Japan ,angola,Colombia , India, Poland, Russia , you name it...another fact is that even to people from switzerland ( my country )english was the medium we use to communicate , because having 4 official language is not easy to write and talk in all 4, using "globish" did the job. Conclusion let's be global and communicate one each other and sorry for all the grammar and fault i may did in this and others post.

lone woolf, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    lone woolf - your English is more than enough to communicate well. However we see people here who can't even be understood in the most simple of sentences. Its important that they don't get left behind and that there are forums like this one in their language too. How frustrating to be reduced to simple requests and un-complex discussions simply because you can't find a forum in your own language.

I'm one of those 1 language only people and I know from my travels how exciting it can be initially to try out your language skills but how quickly you realise that real conversations aren't possible. Getting spokes replaced on bikes in small French towns wasn't something we'd covered in my Alliance Francais lessons. Its stuff like that that makes you really respect the thousands of members for whom English is a foreign language.

sarahk, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  10. MartinPrestovic

MartinPrestovic Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, it would depend on the situation. If the demand were for someone who were able to speak and write in English then no I wouldn't hire someone who used "globish" regardless of their marketing abilities.

It's never just about skills or ability. I have worked with some excellent Indian and Pakistani (sp?) programmers over many years in web development, but sometimes the communication barriers meant that I had to take the work to programmers who were fluent in English because of time constraints.

I too am one of the 1 language people, although like Sarah I know the basics of some foreign languages. I could never hold a conversation in one of those languages (I know, I have tried) and it is for that reason I would never attempt to write an article or publish something in a foreign language without having a native speaker do the writing.

MartinPrestovic, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  11. Frankrock

Frankrock Peon

Best Answers:
    I definitely am with you on this. English is not a prerequisite to become successful in your chosen field. But it surely helps and is more convenient most of the time, of course as it is the generally accepted universal language, the language of business, etc. And don't worry, not all native English speakers have "perfect" English. I suggest though that you make use of freelancers to proofread your writing.

Frankrock, Apr 28, 2011 IP
  12. NeonLord

NeonLord Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are going to offer to write articles and the like on here, i would say the ability to type English at a high standard was needed (unlike some posts I have seen on here from people, claiming to be able to write high quality articles, but not able to write a proper sentence).

NeonLord, Apr 28, 2011 IP
  13. uabclst

uabclst Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm not native English, but I try to write as good English as possible. I use a tool called SmartESLTool ( smartesltool . com ) that helps a lot. It's in beta so it is free. When real perfect English is needed I write drafts and have them proof written by native English speakers.

uabclst, May 5, 2011 IP
  14. jcoutts1

jcoutts1 Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a sensible approach. Final versions of any kind of text should always be written or proofread by a native speaker.

John.

jcoutts1, May 5, 2011 IP
  15. biggilo

biggilo Peon

Best Answers:
    It never ceases to amaze me how many times you come accross the word 'addicting' on the internet given there is no such word. It is one of my pet hates tbh

biggilo, May 6, 2011 IP
  16. Ausdrez

Ausdrez Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not to generalize the matter or hurt anyone's feeling (if they somehow find themselves being hurt) - but more than 90% of the scammers I've faced or seen on this Forums, were terrible in English.

Ausdrez, May 8, 2011 IP
  17. katia baumann

katia baumann Peon

Best Answers:
    I think having good Enlgish adds credibility when you are writing for an audience. Ausdres is right: nearly all the dodgy scams and spam communications I ever see are badly written and stand out a mile! If you aren't good with English, try finding a proof reader or editor - try looking for one at fiverr.com.

katia baumann, May 8, 2011 IP
  18. DocuMaker

DocuMaker Active Member

Best Answers:
    The English language is constantly evolving. Used enough, even the incorrect becomes correct.

DocuMaker, May 8, 2011 IP
  19. gb-translation

gb-translation Member

Best Answers:
    I've never heard the term "globish" before. Did you come up with that?

gb-translation, May 12, 2011 IP
  20. jcoutts1

jcoutts1 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's real. Check it out in Google. It's considered to be a sub-set of English designed for international business use - global English, hence globish. Personally, I think it's ridiculous...

John.

jcoutts1, May 12, 2011 IP