1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question about ASp or Php

Discussion in 'Programming' started by FFF, Mar 26, 2005.

Dear Brothers,

Tell me what is the major difference between Asp and Php ? and also tell me which is cheap ?

Thank you!

Your's Harry!

FFF, Mar 26, 2005 IP
  2. piniyini

piniyini Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As a n00bster I have to say php all the way

Main reasons

Php is easy
    Hosting is cheap
    Php has loads of free thingies out there

and cos asp is rock solid (I have tried)

Will will that do ya?

piniyini, Mar 26, 2005 IP
  3. anton-io!

anton-io! Active Member

Best Answers:
    php ...

lot's of tutorials, resources and support online - easy to learn

anton-io!, Mar 26, 2005 IP
  4. redking

redking Member

Best Answers:
    Google for your question.

Neither are cheap. You will have to spend time learning which language you choose and time is money.

redking, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  5. sadcox66

sadcox66 Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Most hosting companies have PHP & MySql included in their hosting package. You would have to search for companies supporting ASP.

Visit php.net and zend.com for more information.

Why do you ask ?
    if it's for a job security go with Microsoft ASP.
    If you want to do your own websites go with PHP

sadcox66, Mar 29, 2005 IP
  6. lovethecoast

lovethecoast Peon

Best Answers:
    ASP or .Net all the way. Much better support from the vendor and much more solid code.

It's not nearly as cheap as php (either in development costs or hosting) but sticking with all MS tools provides a very cost effective (long term) solution.

lovethecoast, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  7. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Can you show me an example of why the vendor you cite is better then the maker of mysql? We get the man, you get some guy that took a class.

Can you show me an expmale of why one's code is more "solid" then the other?

I'm all for being a fan of a product, but please give an example of how that worked out?

Thanks

noppid, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  8. lovethecoast

lovethecoast Peon

Best Answers:
    Sure.

msdn.microsoft.com is probably one of the largest websites on the web. It's purpose is to support MS technologies and they do a *very* good job of it. I have *never* in over 10 years had problems finding help with MS related technologies. Compare that to MySQL, Oracle, Delphi or a slew of other programming languages and I'm always tearing my hair out trying to find adequate support. This comes from many years in the Fortune 500 world supporting many many enterprise level systems.

PHP programmers are, in my experience, hacks (keep in mind here -- I'm refering to enterprise class software). They're uncertified and their software will work up to a certain point, but it lacks the ability to expand or be reused elsewhere. Granted, for every case there is an exception, and I'm sure there are great PHP programmers. I'm just saying most of what I have seen are hacks saying they're great at what they do when in reality, they're not.

That guy that "took a class" is a heck of a lot more qualified to develop a solution that's going to stand the test of time and continued growth than the hack going off of a book or two.

Again -- I'm not saying all php/mysql developers are hacks. I know some large companies have gone this route and more power to them. However our company develops enterprise level software and websites that deal with many millions of users and Microsoft technologies have *always* outperformed the alternatives. When I did Fortune 500 consulting, I helped migrate many many very large databases (100+ gigs) from Oracle to SQL Server simply because the oracle solution wasn't working. I've also helped replaced tons of PHP code that was written by hack developers that couldn't withstand the heavy use the system ended up experiencing or the need for code reuse.

When I started my own company, I could have gone the cheap route and opted for PHP/MySQL, but I opted to spend a life's savings going the Microsoft technology route. This required expensive software licenses, expensive servers and expensive support to ensure servers are up and running.

The net result: our clients have never been down for more than 38 seconds, while our biggest competitor often has their websites down for hours and hours on end. (Granted, we also have a competitor running MS technologies and their sites are down for hours on an end also... but they don't hire MS certified developers, DBA's and system engineers). We charge our clients 3x what our competitors do and in *every single case* we've been praised for our ability to provide stable systems. Noone has ever complained of our fees, and we turn down more business than we take.

The Microsoft / non-Microsoft argument is as old as the ages, however, and no amount of debating here or any other forum will bring a close to it. Some people are on one side of the fence, some are on the other.

lovethecoast, Apr 30, 2005 IP
  9. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    That's just laughable. Ever thought why they are no longer called Microsoft-certified engineers?.. 'cause having one of those certificates doesn't make you one.

J.D.

J.D., Apr 30, 2005 IP
  10. davedx

davedx Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I found JSP and EJB worked well at an enterprise level. ;)

PHP is great for, perhaps, lower scale projects than lovethecoast is talking about. It's easy to learn. Sure "time is money" but there's money, and then there's money (talking about costs).

davedx, May 1, 2005 IP
  11. noppid

Best Answers:

I'm not even going to debate with you. There is so much fundementally wrong with what you just said, even I am shocked.

That was nothing more then a propaganda insult.

Let me tell you something about php, it's way closer to C and way more poratable then any ASP app will ever be. MYSQL is scalable and has a professional upgrade path with professional support.

Maybe you didn't have a license for the others so you couldn't get support? Were you trying to copy one of us hacks, read a book, fix something and failed?

Because being an MS guy and probably like them, you don't buy licenses, you just sell them? The java lawsuit loss comes to mind as one example.

What part of which app were you not able to find a function list for to explaine how to do your job?

I resent the hell out of being called a hack when I've been programming since MSDOS 1.1. In C, assembler, visualbasic, pascal, and I'm sure others I'm overlooking like database engines.

So next time you call a php programmer a hack, you better have more then a huge bill in licenses to MS to justify your statements. Cause right now, that's all you got.

I've been to many MS courses and seminars, I too am a partner, but I have a brain and I didn't get sucked in. I looked at the facts, because I know both sides of the playing field from experience. Unlike you who looked at pricing and what?, a book?, and was told and convinced by MS that you made the right choice while writing a check.

Good luck.

noppid, May 1, 2005 IP
    mushroom and exam like this.
  12. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    Well said "noppid"

And one way or another when all is said and done, with ASP you are stuck with paying Microsoft Licence fees forever, with PHP your not.

mushroom, May 1, 2005 IP
  13. noppid

Best Answers:
    ASP has it's place, I'm not putting down the product. However what he said was just an outright insult wrapped in propaganda.

There are many ways to show it is just that as well.

noppid, May 1, 2005 IP
  14. marty

marty Peon

Best Answers:
    Harry97,

I'm not really familiar with PHP or ASP, I do my stuff in Perl and earn $$$'s in Java, but my guess is that PHP would require the lower upfront investment to develop your application in.

You should keep in mind that there are a lot of people with a financial interest in making sure that ASP and .net are successful.

My advice to you is to persue PHP for non-enterprise applications and Java for enterprise applications.

Marty

BTW the developer in the cube behind mine is pulling his hair out right now trying to figure out a .net application that couldn't scale. We're going to be rewriting it in Java.

marty, May 2, 2005 IP