1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Stop bots crawling pages with querystrings - how?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by piniyini, Apr 29, 2005.

Hey y'all

I've been looking for this, ie google, yahoo and in this forum; cant find it though

I know there are a few lines of text that can go into the robots.txt file to stop bots crawling pages with querystrings, I remember Shawn posting about it quite a while back

Does anyone know how to?

piniyini, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  2. classifieds

classifieds Sopchoppy Flash

Best Answers:
    What about putting rel="nofollow" on the end of URLs that you don't want the G/Y/M bots to follow?

-jay

classifieds, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  3. piniyini

piniyini Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    piniyini, Apr 29, 2005 IP
  4. lovethecoast

lovethecoast Peon

Best Answers:
    Aye - that should work.

You can also use the NOFOLLOW tag, or since you're programming the page, you can check the user agent and not hit the database if they're still hitting your querystring pages.

We've had problems with unfriendly robots not following directions -- generally they're from overseas or they're a directory site here in the states coming back to steal more content. We've either had to block their ip range or serve up bad static data just because they don't play nice. One directory didn't have quality control over their web scraping, so we filled in with text pointing out our original website was better than their directory and they should come to the official website. Worked great for about a year till they finally caught on.

lovethecoast, Apr 30, 2005 IP