1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PHPLD price change - You need to pay $20 every 6 months

Discussion in 'Directories' started by stock_post, Apr 26, 2011.

If you are planning to buy PHPLD license please make a note..

In addition to the purchase price please prepare to pay $40.00 every year.

it is $20.00 every 6 months..

(if you need support or upgrade to new version that is the only way)
    http://www.phplinkdirectory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41616

--
    If you have 100 licenses it is the same you pay $20.00 every six months.

for those who have more licenses it is not a big deal, if you have one site that is barely making any money, you are out of luck.

=========

Not sure if buying a new license every 6 months would help as well.

Note:
    It is not a rant - Just an FYI so people know.
    I do like the script.

stock_post, Apr 26, 2011 IP
    Paidi and Brian1970 like this.
  2. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, that is not true about 100 licenses. You would actually have 18,000 days of downloads and 9,000 days of support. :)

We know that it may be troublesome to some people, but our overall priority is to make sure you get support after purchasing the script, and that the support dollars that are spent are fair to all. If someone bought our script a couple of years ago, and then goes through a few hosting changes, and requests help on dozens of occasions, our cost for that person is more than what they paid for the script.

We also use the money we receive to keep making the script better for everyone. What was available two years ago is not the same as today. If people are going to continue to grow with us, we require some help.

Just imagine if we never raised prices and allowed unlimited support for life. There is going to be a "down side" of that curve where support becomes more expensive than the money received for the license.

Our overall goal is to make sure everyone can receive help in a way that is maintainable over the years.

If you have never needed support in the past and simply purchased a license and had it sit there for a long time, we are happy to consider your special case. But we also hope that you can be supportive of our desire to have a maintainable business model that allows for top notch support and continuing improvements to the script.

And you will always be able to download the product you purchased. You may not be able to download new releases in the future without the extension.

dvduval, Apr 26, 2011 IP
    Paidi likes this.
  3. stock_post

stock_post Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Can we buy a new license every 6 months and is that OK?

how do you justify some one with one license and 100 licenses?

What about paying for support like - Upgrade etc - would that count towards extending the support days?

stock_post, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  4. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    We'll be happy to go over this on our forums with you such as with specific situations, but what I said above provides an explanation about WHY we have made changes recently.

dvduval, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  5. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Too bad if you can notify us first before you lock down my account.
    and i want to say that half year payment period is not reasonable though it's a business decision,
    i am not going to oppose you or your script anyway.
    when do you become a cash addict?

WallaceYeung, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  6. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That does not seem a good news for many phpld users. but we can take it and hopefully it can reduce the number of total directories soon.

Seriously, free directory script should stop to provide.

xc06, Apr 27, 2011 IP
    Paidi likes this.
  7. sunilmamo

sunilmamo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think this new rule sucks. I can understand the need to pay for forum support, but is it necessary to force clients to pay for downloading phpLD files??

sunilmamo, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  8. vegabond

vegabond Shabu Anower

Best Answers:
    Not a wise step.

What about those users who don't need support? How much they have to pay per license?

vegabond, Apr 27, 2011 IP
    Paidi likes this.
  9. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would agree that this is not a wise step. The last I knew support was provided by one person and such pricing changes are very high for support that may take days if you get it at all (being ignored by their "support"). Having to pay for major version upgrades is understandable, but a six month fee? If they really need more money to offer support then the free directory script they have should be pulled from the market. But that genie is out of the bottle. Fortunately there are other scripts out there for people to consider.

tornado!, Apr 27, 2011 IP
    Paidi likes this.
  10. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If for some reason you can't download just let us know on the forums. You'll always be able to access what you purchased initially, but potentially not later releases.

dvduval, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  11. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I reviewed your account, and you should have access to the downloads. In the future, please feel free to ask about things like this in our forums. We aren't out to leave anyone high and dry.

dvduval, Apr 27, 2011 IP
  12. Paidi

Paidi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People still buying directory scripts ?????
    I thought the business was dead in late 2007
    Even i bought couple of scripts licenses.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
    Paidi, Apr 28, 2011 IP
    vegabond likes this.
  13. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I guess many phpld users would choose not to update that frequently any more...

xc06, Apr 28, 2011 IP
  14. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent blog post by Directory Daily about the phpLD policy changes.

And Paidi, yes, we are just as busy as we were in 2007. The difference is we have the customers from 2007+2008+2009+2010+2011. :) It's not easy to please everyone, but we will move forward, and if anything our support has improved and repeat sales have increased. We appreciate everyone's support, but also your criticism. That is what makes us stronger.

dvduval, Apr 28, 2011 IP
  15. dischg

dischg Active Member

Best Answers:
    So if you have an older script, will you still need to pay the fee? Or is this just for new purchases?

dischg, May 1, 2011 IP
  16. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Our goal would always be to let you download what you purchased. But new releases are likely to involve you either:
    1. Buying a new license
    2. Buying an extension or add-on to your previous license.
    Both of these options also extend support through our ticket system.

dvduval, May 1, 2011 IP
  17. manis

manis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great, Thanks for making us aware of this Update. Many of us are not aware of it.

Keep us updating with such type in future also this would be highly appreciated here.

Have a great day.

manis, May 2, 2011 IP
  18. amiman

amiman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have only one thing to say on this subject:;

It should be made plain when buying. I should be displayed on the front page of PHPLD site and not hidden in t&c's .

I have purchased many Joomla components and and know before I buy I am buying only a 1 years subscription. If PHPLD make it plain and you can see from the start, they will have no problems. But by hiding it they could and will loose custom.

Or they need to up there prices and drop the renewal altogether. Look at Mosets Tree site or Jomsocial they display the costs and subscription term/price up front, you do not have to search for it.

amiman, May 2, 2011 IP
  19. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Right, so you should ALWAYS have access to what you purchased, and if anyone has a problem, just hit us up on the forums. That said, we will try to add some additional language. We already have a good bit on the Support page.

dvduval, May 2, 2011 IP
  20. amiman

amiman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats not what I am saying.
    If you change the rules it should be told to your members/subscribers.

If you are only allowing 6 months downloads/subscription you should say so Clearly. That way no one can complain because is in black and white and easy to understand BEFORE you purchase it.

As I said above I buy subscriptions to Joomla components and after the year I have no access to my dowloads at all unless I renew. But I knew this before I bought, It told me on their sites I am buying a subscription that only lasts a year In big clear easy to see language.

amiman, May 3, 2011 IP