1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Do You Overcome The " I Want To Think it Over" Buying Decision Online?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by The Niche Man, Apr 12, 2011.

I read it's estimated more online and offline sales are lost from the "I'll think it over and get back to you" response than most other sales obstacles. And it's a deadly sales habit to assume they will, even it some do come back.

The article estimated over 40% of your prospects will have this reaction when reading your offer. And how you respond in your sales message determines whether they'll respond to your offer or not.

How do you handle the dreaded "I want to think it over" buying decision in your online prospects?

The Niche Man, Apr 12, 2011 IP
  2. saicou

saicou Peon

Best Answers:
    just tell them, "OK, I will wait for your reply."

saicou, Apr 12, 2011 IP
  3. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This reaction means either the person other end is not sure if he/she wanna go for the sale OR he has completely made up the decision of not completing the sale. In this situation, what I do is I try to offer something more as a compensation if the sale is complete. The moment you hear such answers, get ready to answer back with some unique which no one else offers ;)
    Then the customer will start comparing sale with others whom he has already asked and come back to you, if effective ;)

China_girl, Apr 12, 2011 IP
  4. ming3

ming3 Peon

Best Answers:
    This happens alot with older folks. The best way to overcome it is by structuring your selling technique to avoid that outcome in the first place. You have to get them to make a quick decision that they are comfortable with. A "thinking buyer" will talk themselves out of it EVERY time. One example, instead of structuring your pitch in a manner that says "you have time to decide" (ie you say: "I'm going to leave you with my email address so we can talk later, but let's get back to talking about the product" What you're actually saying to the customer is "you can contact me later if you want to think about it") Structure your pitch so they can comfortably make the decision (ie, "I've got 10 minutes to talk to you about this, but don't worry, that's more than enough time to get everything going!" what your actually saying to the customer is "I really want to spend the next 10 minutes explaining this to you and getting you signed up").

Also, it will help to limit the customers options to reach you at a later time. If they say "I want to think about it" you say well let's get you set up for the (trial, free sample, widget) while I'm here, I really want your feedback on the product!

Some customers (about 50% who say it) say "I want to think about it" to get rid of you too, keep that in mind. If you don't "feel" that they want to buy, make a quick exit and stop wasting your time!

ming3, Apr 23, 2011 IP
  5. ming3

ming3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't be afraid to be cocky with a customer like that either tell them "it's a buy now button, not a buy later button, lolj/k seriously though let's get you signed up for the (trial, sample, widget)"

ming3, Apr 23, 2011 IP
  6. FastCashMoney

FastCashMoney Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are may ways to conquer this... Scarcity, reverse psychologie, irresistible offers (bonus packages,etc)... But I guess the best thing is a good pre-sell.... Make it a no brainer for your prospect... Get them in on the front end with an irresistible offer anf build your list... Have a really valuable back end offer too.... PS: I like the cocky approach above... Can be a winner if used right places haha ;)

FastCashMoney, Apr 23, 2011 IP
  7. stephaniscoe

stephaniscoe Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You don't handle it.
    You attract qualified, targeted, pre-sold prospects.
    You make a very compelling value-based offer and a no-nonsense guarantee...
    and a freebie info/how to/etc in exchange for their opt-in email.

People generally don't want to be sold, they want solutions to their problems.

Best of Success,
    S.

stephaniscoe, Apr 24, 2011 IP
  8. adh.am

adh.am Peon

Best Answers:
    The take away close usually works. Offer them something similar and let them know its the last one.

adh.am, Apr 24, 2011 IP
  9. fadlizero

fadlizero Peon

Best Answers:
    I tell the bonus and some interesting and make a deal.

fadlizero, Apr 24, 2011 IP
  10. BuyGifts.com

BuyGifts.com Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Two things have worked for me:
    1. Gain their trust through being their friend first and foremost. Don't be phony, be yourself. Don't focus on the sale, focus on them and their friendship. If they like you, they'll buy from you.
    2. Follow-up. If they need time to think about it, give it to 'em, no big deal. But many salespeople fail to follow-up. The sales often happen on the follow-ups. If it's online, capture their e-mail. Find a way to get back in touch but definitely follow-up on the lead.

BuyGifts.com, Apr 24, 2011 IP
  11. stephaniscoe

stephaniscoe Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    A few second thoughts...
    Some folks are professional tire-kickers, whiners and time-wasters. Let 'em go; they'll be horrible customers anyway.
    All things being equal, folks would rather do business based on likability AND trust.
    Trust is built, in part, through credibility.
    Make sure your offer is credible and that the value proposition (problem-solving benefits!) is well-conveyed.
    Pretend you are selling a real product or service to a real person with a problem they want solved.
    Do you really have to trick, manipulate and NLP them into submission by creating false expectations, fear of loss, artificial scarcity, inflated (but wait!) bonuses,
    and the usual IM trickery?

Best of Success,
    S.

stephaniscoe, Apr 24, 2011 IP
  12. popgals

popgals Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay , and keep contaction with her or him and maybe she or he will remember it .

popgals, Apr 24, 2011 IP
  13. PPX

PPX Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe check these guys out.....I've heard they specialize with this sort of issue:

Performable (dot) com

PPX, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  14. garageflooring

garageflooring Peon

Best Answers:
    We get that often and the customers seem to come back to us. We make sure of the following.

1. Have a professional website
    2. Promote a phone number where customers can call and ask questions
    3. Answer emails quickly when they have questions
    4. Make promotions that have definite end dates
    5. Show limited quantities (scarcity)

If you have a good offer, they will come back to you.

garageflooring, Apr 25, 2011 IP