1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using Redirect ? Serving different pages to Google, Ranking much good in MSN and Yaho

Discussion in 'Google' started by visioninfotech, Oct 21, 2006.

This is a problem that many other webmasters might have been facing, so i am posting here in this forum.

I have seen this problem with 4 websites i own.

When i search the pages from this website on Google, they all are in Supplemental results.

We are getting good amount of traffic from MSN and Yahoo as well.

I have checked the pages on copyscape and they are unique pages, even the new pages are going in the supplemental index only.
    We have been trying to get rid of this problem since a long time, but no success.

So, we have decided to change the url of the site and get it on a new subdomain.

instead of >> member.site.com we want to start members.site.com

What should we be using, 302 redirect ?? I guess this is a safe way with SE.

OR

We should be making a new domain for Google where we allow access to Google only. and Keep other sub domain for Yahoo and MSN.

----------

Please suggest some remedy.

Regards
    Gurpreet

visioninfotech, Oct 21, 2006 IP
    seo-mumbai likes this.
  2. cheyanna1

cheyanna1 Peon

Best Answers:
    cheyanna1, Oct 21, 2006 IP
  3. visioninfotech

visioninfotech Banned

Best Answers:
    thanks for the link. i actually checked it earlier, but i am not sure if using 301 redirect is the safest method.

my another problem is that the domain has main page PR 5 and there is PR 4 on many internal pages. would it be wise to go in for such a change.

visioninfotech, Oct 21, 2006 IP
  4. thok

thok Active Member

Best Answers:
    the solution which u r presenting is ridiculous .... beleive me ....
    i think u have no idea of SEO ...
    ur pages in supplementary indicate u have problem with ur pages or url ... it is not about domain or sub-domain ....
    either ur urls are very similar .... and have content which is also almost same ...
    to get out of supplementary results ... optimize ur page content and secondly optimize ur url ( not sub-domain ) ... and if u r going to use any url redirection use 301 as it is permanent redirection .... it is officialy stated by google ( as far as i can rememeber ) that 301 is ok for permanent redir .

thok, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  5. seo-mumbai

seo-mumbai Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    use 301 redirect or delete content for few days again start from first.

seo-mumbai, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  6. InnovationZen

InnovationZen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i used 301s and they worked

InnovationZen, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  7. seo-mumbai

seo-mumbai Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    great InnovationZen, 301 redirect will work but sometime we have to waite for some time before we can see results till google update.

seo-mumbai, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  8. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    I too have to say you are throwing the ‘baby out with the bath water’ here.

Changing domains/sub domains will do absolutely nothing to solve the problem you are experiencing. If you put the SAME site up on the SD it will certainly exhibit the same problems as you have now. It is the site you need to correct… no the domain

Can I see a site in question?

There are many reasons for this and the most common is not having Unique TITLE and META_DESCRIPTION tags… there are more than a few other reasons. It is hard to tell without analyzing the URL itself

thegypsy, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  9. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. I used 301s about 4 months ago, and have not seen one new page indexed yet. All the old URLs are there, and they all 301 redirect to new URLs, but google does not see this change. Yahoo and MSN do... but not google.

And I don't think having pages in supp means your site is crap or messed up or non-seo'd. Just about every site has pages in supp these days. I think if you use 301 redirects, all your pages will go into supp for a LONG period of time. That may just be my problem, but that is what it has done for me.

nddb, Oct 22, 2006 IP
  10. visioninfotech

visioninfotech Banned

Best Answers:
    i have used 301 redirect. i guess its the best way.

and i will report the results soon. we are already having googlebot visiting our website more than it was doing in earlier site, so i guess things are working fine if not better.

visioninfotech, Oct 24, 2006 IP