1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paying to get listed into DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by hhhhhhhh, Apr 21, 2011.

I see people on freelancer paying to get listed in Dmoz. Is this actually possible or is there a catch. For a going rate of around 250USD

Whats the catch?

Im guessing you could get submitted then delisted later on after you have paid?

hhhhhhhh, Apr 21, 2011 IP
  2. slarengcom

slarengcom Active Member

Best Answers:
    yess,,,everyone who can submit my blog to DMOZ plese PM me

slarengcom, Apr 21, 2011 IP
    iTechGeek likes this.
  3. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Had you not thought of submitting it yourself? Just visit the most appropriate category and use the suggest URL link at the top of the page. If there isn't one, choose a lower level category.

Some volunteer will process your listing suggestion in time but we can't predict who or when that might be. Elapsed times can range from a few days to a few years. There is no need to re-suggest your website and doing so could be counter-productive because a later suggestion overwrites any earlier one.

jimnoble, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

1. If you are caught, you get banned, and can possibly get other related listings removed.
    2. If you are the editor, you can get removed (and get your added sites removed).
    3. Many of the folks offering such services are NOT offering listings, only submissions! I'll GLADLY submit your site with proof for that amount, lol...
    4. If you are caught you can get your site banned
    5. If you are caught you can get your site banned
    6. Do I need to point out you can get your site banned if you are caught?
    That said, MANY people seemingly do this all the time... and according to many editors here, that is NOT proof of paid listings, so good luck!

Qryztufre, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  5. hhhhhhhh

hhhhhhhh Peon

Best Answers:
    I already submitted it myself but i have been doing a bit of research on Dmoz and alot of people find it hard to get in. Im just curious.

hhhhhhhh, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  6. hhhhhhhh

hhhhhhhh Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info. Answer i was looking for.

hhhhhhhh, Apr 22, 2011 IP
  7. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why pay for what is a free service, and when they have taken yur money the y too will have to wait for the site to be reviewed, just as you do. Also you are more likely to find the correct category for your site, mass submissions are alway deleted as spam. Also if you have submitted once, submitting more than that can delay your review and can possibly get the site banned for spamming.

You have submitted, you have done all you can at DMOZ, now promote your site elsehere and forget about DMOZ, if the guys on here are to believed a listing does nothing for a site, so don't sweat it.

Anonymously, Apr 23, 2011 IP
  8. hhhhhhhh

hhhhhhhh Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your info. i wont be paying anyone ;)

hhhhhhhh, Apr 23, 2011 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

I'll be bookmarking that for when ya say the ODP is NOT a service.

*rolls eyes*

And you say I am the one giving misleading statements... at least I'm consistent!

Qryztufre, Apr 24, 2011 IP
    venturefox likes this.
  10. datrader

datrader Peon

Best Answers:
    so, has anyone here managed to buy a link on dmoz ?

datrader, May 3, 2011 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    there are SEVERAL completed transactions with positive feedback on sites like scriptlance for paid listings.

Qryztufre, May 3, 2011 IP
  12. thebaron

thebaron Member

Best Answers:
    For those that say it's easy to submit yourself... of course it's easy! Getting listed is far from easy because of corruption within the organisation. One of my site is at number one in the SERPS for many phrases and is cutting edge in many ways. It's been freely linked to by thousands of external sites without me asking.

Getting into DMOZ is one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had. I know what I'm doing, and I know that there's no good reason why I'm not there. My competitors are there, but not me. There's only one reason. Corruption. I'm an SEO and have some sites listed but not the ones I really want listed. If anyone can successfully get my specific site listed in DMOZ they can have much more then $250. Of course, realistically, I can't have several people submitting, so I can't see that it can be done.

Google just need to wake up and realize that it's not a level playing field. DMOZ is corrupt.

thebaron, May 4, 2011 IP
    venturefox likes this.
  13. thebaron

thebaron Member

Best Answers:
    Because of the weight Google give to DMOZ, it's worth the risk.

thebaron, May 4, 2011 IP
  14. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're merely parroting without proof rumours that DMOZ is entirely corrupt.

OTOH, you've just proved that you are. Perhaps your site has been banned for that reason ;).

There have been corrupt editors and I don't doubt that there'll be more. They're fairly rare though and they're quickly disposed of once discovered.

jimnoble, May 4, 2011 IP
  15. DhrubaJyotiDeka

DhrubaJyotiDeka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DhrubaJyotiDeka, May 6, 2011 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Never heard of scams been set up to ensure that the scammer continues to rake in profits from the gullible?

Anonymously, May 7, 2011 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Hmmm.... same reasoning many post Anonymously on forums... Could there be a connection? Possibly! Though of course, just like it's not proof of a paid listing in the ODP, it's not proof of anything else.

It does seem however that the editors of the ODP are unwilling to accept ANYTHING as proof of paid listings. So if multiple completed transactions with positive feedback from multiple members for multiple sites for multiple categories on multiple freelance sites is not proof that it happens, what kinda proof do you actually need? Mothers maiden name, receipt in triplicate? Do tell, do tell...

Then again, it likely falls back to the Anonymously thing I mentioned earlier...

Qryztufre, May 7, 2011 IP
  18. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You keep referring to the people who have completed, but what says they are not fake ID's. Tell you what go and buy a link, Q, and come back and tell us which it is and where it was bought and where listed. That way you can prove your point and get a corrupt editor thrown out, well if the transaction really does happen. So if you really believe it, put your money where your mouth is.....on the other hand you probably believe you would be passing it over to a scammer.

Anonymously, May 7, 2011 IP
  19. Ashley Pearson

Ashley Pearson Active Member

Best Answers:
    NO chance of you getting a refund if all goes wrong.

Ashley Pearson, May 7, 2011 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Yes, yes, it's all a conspiracy! NONE of them are real. In fact, this conversation about it is not really happening either *rolls eyes*

As for putting MY MONEY where my mouth is, why should I have to? Most of my sites have been added, the others I'm sure are just sitting in the unreviewed queue just waiting for one of hundreds of editors that have access to come along and add it.

And yes, I too am sure that all of those are scammers. I mean, what a great way to earn a buck, set up a series of fake accounts, sell fake DMOZ listings, and just wait for real people to come along and pay me real money...

But what I think may be a more realistic option would be is that editors are jumping into threads like this to make it seem like such things are fake in order to save their own earnings on such sites. Why else to talk smack about it and hide one's editor account by posting Anonymously?

Sorry, I'm not one to say one way or the other... but the facts as they stand, there are multiple completed transactions on such sites with positive feedback. I'm sure there are a few scammers out there, but all of them? Come on, you seriously can not believe that yourself.

Besides, if I did go in & prove that, what would happen to the rest of my listings? Trying to scam me into loosing them all? Very outstanding of yourself. Why not go in & try it yourself, that way you could do the ODP a real service & out corrupt editors, rather then trying to get honestly added sites removed by trying to get others to do YOUR dirty work.

I can not prove they are real, any more then you can prove they are fake... so where does that leave this debate? Let the readers decide for themselves.

Qryztufre, May 7, 2011 IP
    jhnrang likes this.