1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

confused about the allinanchor

Discussion in 'SEO' started by LucidNet, Jul 9, 2004.

Bit confused on something... can anyone clear it up for me.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=30&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=allinanchor:lucid+dreaming&meta=

the all in anchor search for this term shows my site up as 15th.... yet i still havent broke into the serps for that search term.... but i have several links with my anchor text for lucid dreaming and a lot of sites don't have any.

i am still on the continious mission to get more, but shouldnt i have started to get in there already?

What info does searching for the allinanchor actually help people find out??

LucidNet, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  2. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent question :)

IMO the allinanchor search provides a list of pages which have all of the words in the search term in the anchor text of links pointing to that site and then ranks them in some way.

I am inclined to believe that the ranking of these pages is by the standard Google algo, but there may be other opinions.

Mel, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  3. LucidNet

LucidNet Peon

Best Answers:
    damn... i just noticed that i posted this in the wrong section.... was aiming for the google forum.... Can a mod move it please? might get some more answers

LucidNet, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Actually it was moved... anything about ranking for a site goes in the website reviews... :)

digitalpoint, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  5. LucidNet

LucidNet Peon

Best Answers:
    oh...... cheers then :eek:

LucidNet, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  6. nacho45

nacho45 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've noticed that allinanchor: results generally always rank my site higher than the "actual" results...

however, i usually catch up closer to the allinanchor: after some time passes....could be the now famed "sandbox" theory at work...and also could support the idea of diversity of similar achor texts coming into play

nacho45, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  7. Mel

Mel Peon

Best Answers:
    Its not too surprising that you rank better in allinanchor searches, since there are far fewer pages competing.

Mel, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  8. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I think we have had this discussion a couple of times before on this forum, but here what I think is the explanation and case with "allinanchor:"

1. I believe it is simply a search that returns ALL the pages that contain a a specific ANCHOR text IN the links to the pages returned in the SERP.

2. I initially doubted the the order in the SERP was necessarily the page with the highest number of anchor texts at the top, but if you use the McDar tools and follow the McDar experiment on this forum you will see a very high correlation between the allinanchor: SERP placement and the pages place in the SERP for a search on that term.

3. However, you don't have to rank high in allinachor: to place well in the SERPs. I beleive that that is a mistake that people make. For instance I can show you pages that have used the singular or plural exclusively in their anchor text and yet their SERP placement is very high for the stemmed version of the keyword phrase, while their allinachor: for that phrase is zero.

4. The other mistake is to think that any one item like anchor text is going to be the predominant driver of SERP placement. Just because you are high or low in the SERP for allinanchor: does automatically mean that you should or should not be high in the SERP for that phrase.

5. Google will start reporting your allinanchor: position as soon as it finds and indexes the links. You don't have to wait for a PR/BL udate. But there certainly is some type of sandbox effect happening. I don't think the site gets sandboxed, I think it is the links that get sand boxed. As a result you can get high allinachor SERP placement long before the links start to help the normal SERP placement.

6. I also think that Google may be penalizing a page which has the identical anchor text in to great a percentage of its backlink. So people who are diligently trying to force up their allinanchor: placement may be doing their site a disservice, by nor varying their anchor text. If they vary their anchor text their allinanchor numbers or placement will fall, but by chasing allinanchor: numbers they may be hurting their normal search results.

compar, Jul 9, 2004 IP
  9. LucidNet

LucidNet Peon

Best Answers:
    some good points compar, how long does the sandbox effect last (roughly) do you know

i can't see google penalizing from anchor text.

From what i have seen and read.... google only penalizes for things internally on a site, and not from external links and anchor text etc, only things that the website owner has control over, nothing that a competitor has potential to exploit

LucidNet, Jul 10, 2004 IP