1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cent OS good or bad?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by EasyMarketer, Oct 18, 2006.

Im getting a blade server with 8 rack servers. Im thinking I should put Cent OS on the blade server so its alot easier to get around the racks. That is the basic part of Cent Os, Cent Os is all about servers and connecting to the other servers. IS Cent Os a good way to go with this? I havent read up on it enough to know how secure it actually is. Any thoughts on Cent Os?

EasyMarketer, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  2. hgsupb

hgsupb Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I have been working with Redhat/CentOs as the system administrator about 3 years. I love it. It is more than enough secure if you know what to do.

hgsupb, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  3. aqi32

aqi32 Active Member

Best Answers:
    aqi32, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  4. EasyMarketer

EasyMarketer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well the blade server is what the racks go in. But they are connected. So If I wanted to manage all of the servers at the same time, i could go through centos to get to my linux windows, and other servers.

EasyMarketer, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  5. forkqueue

forkqueue Guest

Best Answers:
    If you're getting 8 servers and don't even know what distribution you're going to run, my advice would be to find yourself a sysadmin to maintain them for you. Someone that knows what they're doing can build you a good, clustered system which will provide fault tolerance and scability. If you just treat them like eight seperate machines you're completely wasting the money you've spent on them.

Coming back on topic, I generally say to people that the best distro is usually the one you're used to. If you've been using Redhat for years, stick with Centos.

If you're coming to this fresh, I'd say go for Ubuntu 6.06. It's probably the easiest distro to maintain (primarily because the archives contain pre-built packages for almost any app you can think of), and it will be supported with security updates until 2011.

forkqueue, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  6. EasyMarketer

EasyMarketer Active Member

Best Answers:

I have Cent os connecting to my computers at home. I can access any of my computers from my one computer with just a browser. So it is pretty neat. That is why I was thinking of Cent Os.

EasyMarketer, Oct 20, 2006 IP