1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Quick Wordpress Question

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by thehotbusinesses@hotmail., Apr 8, 2011.

So I bought this website from a guy and he is hosting it on his account but never gave me login info for the ftp. I have lost all communication with him. Now I want to get that site moved from his hosting to my own, goddaddy account so I dont lose the entire site when he stops hosting it for me. My question is can I just download the XML of the site and set up wordpress on my hosting and point the DNS to my new hosting? Does this keep the links the URLs of each page the same or will I manually have to go in and do that? what all does it transfer? Is that all I need to do? Anyone who can help PLEASE!!!!!

2. Yuuko008

Yuuko008 Member

Best Answers:
    Well you can do the following.

1.] Download MyFTP plugin to download the directory files.

2.] Go to wp-admin>tools>export then export all the posts, pages, comments and attachments.

3.] Upload the directory files in your new hosting.

4.] Go to the new wordpress site wp-admin>tools>import.

5.] Make sure that all the plugin configuration and site settings is the same with the original site.

if you will be using the same domain, just make sure that the permalink structure is the same with the original site and you won't be having any problems with losing rank and links.

Hope my guide helps =))

Yuuko008, Apr 8, 2011 IP
  3. thehotbusinesses@hotmail.

thehotbusinesses@hotmail. Active Member

Best Answers:
    Will it automatically save my settings that I have changed I think it will?

4. Yuuko008

Yuuko008 Member

Best Answers:
    i'm not sure about the settings. If you can access phpmyadmin and export the .sql file then everything is sure to be downloaded (plugin configurations and settings). I don't think that the Tool's export system is exporting the settings.

Yuuko008, Apr 9, 2011 IP
  5. emdubl

emdubl Member

Best Answers:
    if all you have is the wordpress login, i think the best you can do is export via the wordpress dashboard, then import on your new site.

emdubl, Apr 9, 2011 IP
  6. bekar09

bekar09 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you've got only wordpress login without hosting account access or phpmyadmin access, then the only thing that you can do is use the wordpress export option and then import in your new installation of wordpress.

bekar09, Apr 10, 2011 IP
  7. joshuthomas

joshuthomas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From what you have explained i assume below is the situation:

1. You have wordpress admin login and details
    2. you do not have the website cpanel login details
    3. you have lost that chap who hosted it for you.

Now you have two options:

1. Find out which web hosting company is hosting your server either with an IP look up from and trying to find the host and followup.
    2. You could export the XML from the wordpress and import it to the new wordpress blog.

The second method has a limitation. You will get all your posts, links URLs, pages, posts. But you will not be able to export your images, blog settings and plugins.
    Hope this helped you.

warm regards and all the best
    Josh

joshuthomas, Apr 10, 2011 IP
  8. thehotbusinesses@hotmail.

thehotbusinesses@hotmail. Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much Jos that is exactly what the situation is. I will dl the xml I guess and just reset the blog settings on my hosting. Thank you guys very much for the help.