1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory submissions do not show in Webmaster Tools

Discussion in 'Directories' started by teamversion, Mar 29, 2011.

I have submitted my website to a handful of directories but I do not see them in my Webmaster tools dashboard.

Can anyone explain why?

teamversion, Mar 29, 2011 IP
  2. richbate

richbate Peon

Best Answers:
    It takes a while for links to feature in the Webmaster tools. This doesn't mean though that Google isnt aware of the links. I have links that were created years ago only just appearing on webmaster tools.

If you want a better idea of what back links you have, its better to use a service like open site explorer

richbate, Mar 29, 2011 IP
    amiman likes this.
  3. teamversion

teamversion Peon

Best Answers:
    Are those linke that are just showing up now coming from directories?

Cause I have submitted to directories at the same time I commented on blogs & forums. I can see the blogs and forums in Webmaster Tools but not one single directory. That's why I seldom use directories. You hardly get traffic there as well.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  4. richbate

richbate Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on the popularity of the directory. It depends if the directory has accepted your link and it depends on how deep your link is in the directory.

richbate, Mar 29, 2011 IP
    silencer likes this.
  5. teamversion

teamversion Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your replies richbate. I'm still forming a different perception about directories though. I think it's a waste of my time doing directory submission when I can get backlinks faster using blog comments & forums.

If Google bots are slow in crawling directories then I think it's a waste of time really. I am assuming that the database where the indexing information are stored is the same database where webmaster tools get its information (where else?). But even if it isn't it shouldn't ake 4-5 months to replicate such information to another database.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you taken the time to see if your sites were even accepted and posted by the directories?

YMC, Mar 29, 2011 IP
  7. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    most of the good directories manually approve the submissions in an attempt to fight spam. it takes a while to get approved and then once you are approved, your links show under one of the inner pages which is often atleast 2-3 clicks away from the main page meaning it takes google time to find those links. just keep submitting and eventually some of them will show. dont expect to get credit for every single link though

sultanofseo, Mar 29, 2011 IP
  8. billybw

billybw Peon

Best Answers:
    It's best to have a lot of different types of links. You should use as many different methods as you can -- blog comments, forum posts, bookmark sites, directories, article sites, etc. Diversity is best because it looks natural. If you only use one or two methods, the Google algorithm can detect that it isn't natural.

billybw, Mar 29, 2011 IP
    silencer likes this.
  9. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good points

To expand further:
    • The popularity dictates how quickly submissions are reviewed. A very popular directory will take much longer to process their review queues, meaning that a submission can be sitting there for weeks and/or months awaiting review
    • The acceptance of a listing seems to be taken for granted by many people. Quite frankly, most people simply do not know how to submit correctly. The better the directory, the more difficult it is to get into, and the submission information is generally of extreme importance when it comes to gaining a listing.
    • The depth of the listing is an important consideration because it can take time for the search engine to crawl and index the particular page that the listing appears on. If it is several pages deep within a directory this waiting time can be considerable.

This would seem to me to be the first port of call. No backlinks are appearing for the directories, so the easiest thing to do is go check those directories that were submitted to and see if there are any listings. If there aren't then that answers all the questions, and no further investigation is required.

Good point, though it's not just the "looking natural" aspect that makes it important. Just like a bricks 'n' mortar business doesn't rely on one method of promotion (like business cards), so too an online entity should not rely on one type of promotion. If all you obtain are one type of link/listing/promotion method, then you really only have one type of market and IMO you are destined to fail.

silencer, Mar 29, 2011 IP
  10. murthyseo

murthyseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks richbate. Its great tool to find backlinks from directories.

murthyseo, Mar 29, 2011 IP
  11. suhailseo

suhailseo Peon

Best Answers:
    directory submission link is take time to aproved.

suhailseo, Mar 30, 2011 IP
  12. teamversion

teamversion Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you everyone. Will be giving directory submission another try.

teamversion, Mar 30, 2011 IP
  13. mallen129

mallen129 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think of it like advertising, only 50% of it works, but you don't know which 50% it is.

mallen129, Mar 30, 2011 IP
  14. unknownpray

unknownpray Active Member

Best Answers:
    Most of my links also do not show in Google webmasters. It takes time for the links to get approved and start showing also not every search engine can give you an exact and accurate account of your links. All they do is the best approximation.

unknownpray, Aug 18, 2011 IP
  15. parpaitas1987

parpaitas1987 Peon

Best Answers:
    parpaitas1987, Jun 16, 2012 IP